useing my receivers pre-amp zone 2 for 2 channel??

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited February 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I got a brain storm tonight!! Until i get the rest of my 2 channel setup, why can't i use the pre-amp outs from my receivers zone 2 and run to a tube amp of which i want either 2 Heathkit w-5m's mono tube amps or a dynakit 70 stereo amp, and run an rca cable run to the amp/s in this other room and hook to what ever speakers i choose?? I want to know if this will work?? well i tinker ariound a bit with things like this and know it will work but will the sound be OK like this?? or atleast for awhile, then i could use the cd player i have and all the bells and whistles of the receiver only through a few classic tube amps... Idea's comments please
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hell yes... but consider putting the tube amp(s) in the room with the pre-amp and running the speaker wire to the second room. Losses in the amp's higher current output will be less noticicble than if you carry the pre-amp's 2nd outputs the same distance.

To get yourself some control from the 2nd room look into the video link from Hidden Link or other IR repeaters. The video link is a hard wire repeater; there are also RF repeaters... no wire.

Some repeaters are only available to pro installers, so it might pay to be nice to Mantis... at least for a while.

If I come across a link, I'll post it.

EDIT: Here you go - looks like Hidden Link I have, but is under a didfferent name.
    http://www.xantech.com/
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • faster100
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks, Bump

any more suggestions?? idea's
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I used my Zone 2 with my Dynaco ST-70. It sounded great. Probably not as good as a quality preamp, but still great. I ended up disconnecting it as I had it hooked to my main speakers and it was just sitting on the floor next to my rack and my 2yr old is pretty nosey.

I think it would be great. Especially if the 2nd room is just separated by a wall. Drill a hole, snake an IC pair, hook it up and let it sing. Now you've got me thinking. Right now my tubes are collecting dust and my remote is RF.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • faster100
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I actually used to have a pair of remote extenders that i used, you would out a receiver and transmitter in the 2 rooms and i could have full control over the stereo receiver out in my florida room, where i plan to make the 2 channel rig, I plan to use 2 rti28's on stands with either a pair of heathkit mono amps or a dynaco stereo 70 amp, i think thats what you have right??

and use my zone 2, of course i will get better wire for the long run and good interconnects,

Should i run long RCA cable from the receiver to the Fla room and hook to the amps, or should i place the amp on my rack with a short RCA cable from the receiver to the amp and run long speaker runs which will actually only be one room over and about 12-14 feet from the receiver. thier is a door way and a wall on either side of the door of course to the other room, Let me know what you think, Thanks again
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    At <15' decision can be based on how important it is for you to see the tubes (bask in their glow and warmth) as it is to hear them. I don’t own tubes, but I could see that adding to the experience.

On the other hand the less costly route will be to run speaker wire initially. If you try this first and decide you need the company of your tubes, you can always go the other way.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • faster100
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I know, indeed the tube display would be nice, we will see i guess
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I say bask in the glow. Either way would work fine as the runs are fairly short.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • faster100
    edited February 2003
    Options
    GREAT!!! I think i will, now do they make 15 foot RCA cables??
    what amp should i get, wife says we can maybe fit in a tuber into the budget when we get the tax return, :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gidrah
    I used my Zone 2 with my Dynaco ST-70… just sitting on the floor next to my rack and my 2yr old is pretty nosey.
    Right now my tubes are collecting dust...
    Been a long time since I’ve lived with tubes, but I remember Dad used to store spares in the fridge. Course this is also back before A/C was in homes. At any rate I hope you’re kidding about the dust, but great move on getting the ST away from the two-year old… “look at the pretty lights”… zap! :eek:

Faster,
    Another clean option is available, if you have a CD player with a variable output. You could move it to your FLA room and take care of all your wiring/ control issues. My old Denon has a variable out option and I have routed it direct to my Carver. It’s pretty interesting to play with anyway. And a lot of “tubies” like this minimalist approach to uncolored sound. Course many are also vinyl devotees, so a couple more boxes are needed, i.e., phone pre-amp and simple gain pre-amp like a Straightwire, but still a second room possibility.

Where ever you set up your tubes, just be sure there’s plenty of room around them. As mentioned elsewhere, whatever their rating is, they are always putting out that much power… most of it is heating your room. Tube amps’ general order of energy distribution is: 1.) Heat; 2.) Sound; 3.) Light.

In a “close listening” set up, like you’re likely to end up with, you’re going to get close to 93db at a listening position ~6’ front and center on 2 –3 watts output. So even a 20-watt pair of mono’s will be able to reach 102 db easily, and for transients they’ll even go beyond this. Tubes are high current amps with a great deal of headroom, “reserve power” if you prefer, for short-term demands. It’s inherent in their design. This is why they “sound” so much bigger than SS amps of the same rating.

Damn I think I’m talking myself into something here… But one thing we all have to remember is tube performance declines with time, much faster than SS, even the HQ tubes of today are subject to this. Again it’s in their nature, the toll of the heat they produce. One of the reasons a lot of tubies keep a spare set is to swap them in temporarily from time to time to keep tabs on the decline of their primary set.

Wonder if they keep their spares in the fridge? ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli