Mmc 690

jacob.simpson
jacob.simpson Posts: 481
edited March 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Need help just received this awsome Pair from POLK Ebay Store as posted by everyone except for the Refurb Sticker there is no way you can say this is not new, Looks like a open box piece.
Now to the main question i may sound stupid, The power Handling quoted is for Per channel 100 w rms or for a pair. Please Help.
Post edited by jacob.simpson on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    100 watts RMS per speaker.

And congrats on a great pickup. I loved my MMC690s and swear they are the best 6x9's on the market.

Not sure what your setup is but I hooked mine up to a Alpine 40x4 amp and bi-amped them. I ran the tweeters thru the crossovers and the mids I ran straight off the rear amp channels running full range. Mine were in the front doors of my 02 Ram so they were the only speakers I had playing and they sounded great! I had the tweeters output turned down a little below the mids.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jacob.simpson
    edited February 2009
    You guys will laugh at me because i dont even own a car and i started planning my Polk system already, usually you buy a car then the amp then speakers,
    when i saw it going out of production and clearance in the POLK ebay could not resist it anymore and just gave into the bug, now my next one would be to get a good amp then when i go back home and Hopefully buy a car will set up these beauties to be beastful...:D
    Its available in my country for a huge $ 300 which is way high than my budget. I gifted a db401 to my nephew and my goodness what difference it made to the sound quality, they just rock. And already picked up db804 dvc and will design a Sub with proper measurements when i get a car. I also gifted R300 to my brother you can find the thread r300 diy in speaker section. And feedback is always welcome.
  • headknocker
    headknocker Posts: 17
    edited February 2009
    Great choice.

I installed a pair 690's in my wife's '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser last summer. I found a new set on ebay for $100 shipped from a reliable seller.I heavily deadened the doors and sealed all of the openings. I had an old US Acoustics USX-2080 amp lying around and I picked up a used Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X589 HU on ebay for around $50.

I was impressed with the tight,authortative midbass and detailed highs and mids from the 690's. I went with them based on what I had read online and I'm glad I did.

Around six weeks ago the right speaker stopped working. It's been too cold to tear off the door panel to investigate the problem but I'll get to it whenever it warms up. My wife said one day it kicked out and then came back on...and it did it again the next day. The third day it never worked at all. It could be any number of things(I'm hoping it's the inexpensive interconnects that I bought from Parts Express) so I'll be doing some trouble-shooting to find the culprit.
    '98 CRV
    Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X589 HU
    Aura MR6.1 comps
    Aura MR62 Integrated comps
    Ascendant Audio Arsenal 12
    US Acoustics USX-4065
    PG Octane 8.0:1
  • headknocker
    edited March 2009
    An update....my wife informed around a week ago that the 690 on the right side of her FJ Cruiser started working again....and it's still working. It could be any number of things but we received 10" of snow on Sunday/Monday so no way could I troubleshoot in those conditions. That being said, she doesn't want me to touch anything since it's working again :) She's just thrilled to have both sides working again.
    '98 CRV
    Aura MR6.1 comps
    US Acoustics USX-4065
  • jacob.simpson
    edited March 2009
    Got in installed in Chevy Aveo Lt, pulled out the oem what a difference it made. Worth every penny.:D Does not requiere a Sub at certain levels of listening, mid and high are so in tune with the woofer.
  • headknocker
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, the midbass is quite strong on the 690's. Like I mentioned, I sealed all of the openings and heavily deadened the inner and outer metal door panels along with selectively applying damping mat to specific areas of the plastic door panel. They're getting 80 watts per channel and that's more than enough to get them humming nicely.

The mids and highs are outstanding as well....detailed and upfront but not fatiguing or harsh.

I plan to install an MDF/fiberglass sub enclosure(for an Ascendant Audio Atlas 12) in the spring or summer but my wife is quite happy with the midbass output of the 690's for the time being.

They're an impressive set of 6x9's...that's for sure.
    '98 CRV
    Aura MR6.1 comps
    US Acoustics USX-4065