Computer Sound Card

Options
Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited February 2003 in Electronics
I currently have the Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 sound card in my PC that I built myself this last Summer. I was wondering, for those of you out there that do a lot of MP3's and gaming, what sound cards do you use? Do any of you have the Audigy cards? I currenly have a 2.1 setup, soon to be a 3.1 setup (2 front, 1 center and a sub) and I was thinking about getting a better sound card. I have some money to burn, and I sure do love audio. Just wondering if there are better cards out there, and if so, are they worth the money. I know the Audigy cards come with a boatload of features, but do they make the sound better? Is it noticeable? Also, are there any cards out there that have outputs different that the normal crappy ones? I forget the name, but just the type you plug cheap-o headphones into? Any help would be great. Thanks!
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Really and truthfully, the Audigy sounds just marginally better than the 5.1s. You only really notice the difference on headphones, because most speakers aren't even up to the S/N ratio that the soundcard is ;)

Better speakers would make a bigger difference, IMO. Check out www.terratec.com for some damn cool soundcards :)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited February 2003
    Options
    if you happen to have a serious receiver, i would skip the soundcard totally and buy something in the nature of H/K's DAL 150. Its a USB to Coaxial converter that completely bipasses your computers soundcard. My receiver actually has a usb audio port that I use and it works great, when i got my newest computer I didnt even order a soundcard because I have no use for it. Unfortunately, Im not sure if any of the conversion units are able to do any sort of discrete 5.1. but if you only have 3.1 thats not a problem? And who knows they might, mine doesnt though.
  • Shizelbs
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I checked out the HK DAL 150, and it doesn't seem to be the thing for me. I think it primarily is just used for decoding compressed audio files. I still need the sound card to handle the audio effects from my games. Now I am looking at the Audigy 2. I would love to know if anyone out there has this, or knows much about it from first-hand/ear experience.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I've used the Audigy 2 (www.3dai.com is my site :)) and it's a nice card and all, but honestly, I don't know how much difference you'll hear over your Live 5.1. Like I said, I'd upgrade your speakers.

But if you are intent on upgrading your soundcard, you might also want to consider this guy:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/consumer/revolution_page1.php

Unfortunately, you're not going to get away from the headphone connectors. Unless you go with something like this:

http://www2.onkyo.co.jp/product/products.nsf/view/7FD2EE9805D6554249256BC000258507?

Hopefully that link works. Wavio SE-80... badass little card, got one here :)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Shizelbs
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I think my plan for now is to get the Audigy 2. I was about to get the Audigy 1, but the Audigy 2 has better sound reproduction for DVD's. Right now I am using my computer to play DVD's. Kind of lame, but I have no TV. The Audigy cards also have an optical/digital out, and the improved output is more than welcomed.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I've got a turtle beach Santa Cruz card. It gives me 5.1 surround sound. It also has programmable outputs. Here's a link that describes all the different setups you can run. This card is several years old now. So I'm sure there are better cards available. My old state of the art 1 GHZ pentium 3 is just a slow old pony these days. But I do get excellent sound. When I upgrade the PC, this one's going into the media room. I'm wired for a LAN and this will be a do it all server, gamer, browser, HT.
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/5853016.asp
  • infinitiqx4
    infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have a turtle beach santra cruz. Not bad.

Check the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card; it is relatively new and has great specs. There are some driver issues to be worked out, but for 2.1 it shouldn't bother you.
  • Shizelbs
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I just bought an Audigy 2 a couple minutes ago. I hear good things about those other cards, but the reviews I have read say that Creative cards are the ones to go with. Plus, I want the functionality they carry with big name games. Thanks everyone!
  • Steve@3dai
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I popped in the Terratec Aureon 7.1 last night, sounds mighty tastey so far! It's basically the same as the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 but with optical in/out.

Audigy 2 is good, enjoy it!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    Options
    i like the sound blaster cards. i've used a SB live and now use an SB Audigy. kind of interested in a Audigy 2 for DVD-a in the near future.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hi Shizelbs:

I'm not a gamer, but my home theater computer has a pretty decent sound card that of couse doesn't use mini input and output connectors.

Audiophile 2496

Larry
  • Shizelbs
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I got an Audigy 2 on Thursday. I am pretty happy with it. I haven't noticed a great deal of improvement when it comes to games. Movies from my computer DVD drive sound great. My one complaint however, which I should've known going into this all, is that it does not support DTS. It does support DD and THX, but no DTS. Oh well. Just a heads up to anyone that cares.
  • danger boy
    edited February 2003
    Options
    if you get the full version of Power DVD it supports DTS and DD will make your DVD's sounds great.
  • Shizelbs
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Dangerboy,

Even if my sound card does not have a DTS decoder?
  • danger boy
    edited February 2003
    Options
    yes Shizelbs, the power dvd software decodes it for ya. I see that you are in the NW too. I'm in Spokane. email me if you like. and we can BS about HT or comptuers, or Polk

LittleMr@sprintmail.com

Al
  • Shizelbs
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Danger,

I did email you :) It was like two days ago. Check it out, and email me back.

Also, which version exactly of Power DVD are you talking about? I am excitied!
  • danger boy
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I did get your email, it was buried. Found it though.

here is the link to Power DVD

Power DVD XP 4.0

it supports DTS decoding.. as well as DD, and DPL II
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited February 2003
    Options
    The Audigy cards from Sound Blaster are nice. I have an Audigy 1 and my girlfriend has an Audigy 2. I can't tell a difference between the two. The physical differences are there though. I'm told that the Live! cards still had legacy coding with them in their driver sets. That made operation with Windows XP sketchy and if you have a certain version of XP, the drivers for the Live! cards don't work. The Audigy has no legacy anything in it so that is your real benefit. Aside from the specific drivers for the ports and such, it's a plug and play device.

There are pros and cons to the SB cards vs. others. However, the major benefit to the SB cards that keeps me coming back is thier ability to handle things like OS upgrades and firmware updates easily. They are easy to use and offer as much functionality if not more as any other card on the market. In addition, they are reasonbly priced and you get a pile of sound card for your money.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!