subs

Options
TLKLane
TLKLane Posts: 6
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I have been reading the posts a lot over the past few days regarding subs. Most of you seem to be impressed with SVS performance but not looks (I would be interested in the new box version as a side table). No one seems to be interested in the Polk models. I have a friend telling me not to waste time on the PSW-650, but try and find a used Velodyne ULD-12 or HGS model for the same money. If the SVS is "butt ugly" I wont buy it because it will be in a very noticeable area. Any thoughts.
Post edited by TLKLane on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I haven't heard the Velo but I will say, the 650 is a great sub if you're into music more than HT. It slams hard for HT but won't hit the ultrasonic lows. A lot of people have had negative experience with the 650 when they demoed it. I'm pretty sure this is due to the side fireing woofers. It took me a very long before I found the proper location for it but now it sounds very good, especially for music. I think the Velo is more of a HT sub. Most HT guys don't like Polk subs because they usually go down to the mid-20Hz. This is because Polk have a music fist approach to making subs.

Maurice
  • TLKLane
    TLKLane Posts: 6
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks Maurice, I am more interested in the SUB for HT, not music. However I do listen to music alot so I would be interested in a balanced speaker.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2003
    Options
    If you're really patient, try to demo the new PSW808 this spring. It's an improved version of the PSW650 made to go with the LSi line. I think it's going to be a kick **** sub. Do a search on this forum. About a month ago there were several posts about it and a picture on one of them.

Maurice
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Options
    A great sub does everything well. I think it is a common misconception that a sub good for HT is somehow worse for music, or vice versa. The two are not mutually exclusive realms.

I will say this - HT is by far more demanding on a sub than music. If a sub does HT well, it will handle the demands of music easily.

To paraphrase Peter Aczel of The Audio Critic - a subwoofer sounds exactly as it measures. It is a relatively simple device that presents no mysteries and hides no subtleties. It has a frequency response, a dynamic limit, and a distortion range - that’s it.

If you buy a sub that has a flat FR, very low distortion, good transient response, deep extension, and high SPL capability - it will sound great on everything.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited February 2003
    Options
    dr. spec i got all of the audio critic mags there a lot of good reads in them.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    A great sub does everything well. I think it is a common misconception that a sub good for HT is somehow worse for music, or vice versa. The two are not mutually exclusive realms.
    I will say this - HT is by far more demanding on a sub than music. If a sub does HT well, it will handle the demands of music easily.
    To paraphrase Peter Aczel of The Audio Critic - a subwoofer sounds exactly as it measures. It is a relatively simple device that presents no mysteries and hides no subtleties. It has a frequency response, a dynamic limit, and a distortion range - that’s it.
    If you buy a sub that has a flat FR, very low distortion, good transient response, deep extension, and high SPL capability - it will sound great on everything.
    I could not agree more - I never understood the whole HT and music business of a sub. If it is a solid sub it WILL do both. Subs always sound better for HT because the sound/bass is much more efficient than say CD. I never heard a sub that is bad with HT and great with music - it doesn't happen.
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Once again - Forget SVS - Ed (Dr.) Is THE Bass Authority ;)

The man's knowledge and attention to detail in this aspect of HT
    astounds me :eek:
    He has helped many (including myself) and IMHO is THE Bass/LFE
    guru of this and other forums - hands down !

He is the Dr. of "Specs" and his knowledge is Invaluable ! - As he
    said in an earlier Post (with no ill feelings,or disrespect to the poster "stop asking why,and just DO IT" :lol: )

Bass mgmnt/Lfe/Subs/SPL meters/sweeps/the smell of gunpowder on a cold winter's A.M. - and I'm sure some damn good Venison recipes are this gentleman's specialty !
    just "DO IT"
    Thanx Ed !

CHEERS ! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by etrigan
    Once again - Forget SVS - Ed (Dr.) Is THE Bass Authority ;)
    The man's knowledge and attention to detail in this aspect of HT
    astounds me :eek:
    He has helped many (including myself) and IMHO is THE Bass/LFE
    guru of this and other forums - hands down !
    He is the Dr. of "Specs" and his knowledge is Invaluable ! - As he
    said in an earlier Post (with no ill feelings,or disrespect to the poster "stop asking why,and just DO IT" :lol: )
    Bass mgmnt/Lfe/Subs/SPL meters/sweeps/the smell of gunpowder on a cold winter's A.M. - and I'm sure some damn good Venison recipes are this gentleman's specialty !
    just "DO IT"

Thanx Ed !
    CHEERS ! jefff
    Thanks - I guess I will come out now - Me and Dr. Spec are one in the same. It is good therapy for my bi-polar personality. Actualy I am the founder of SVS and have been secretly promoting my products on every speaker forum on the internet. Why do you think me and my company have become sooo rich - oh i mean popular in a short amount of time? OK the cats out!!!! :D
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hey thanks for the props, guys. But really, there are guys over at HTF and other DIY forums that have me beat hands down. I learn from them and try to pass it on. It's been a steep learning curve, that's for sure.

I got into bass more heavily when I realized how misunderstood the topic is, how little I knew about the subject, and how low the bar is set by most (not all) of the OEMs out there.

It's been a great learning experience for me, and I've "met" some great people along the way - including the owners of SVS who in addition to making great subs, also just happen to be damn nice guys.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited February 2003
    Options
    The Hsu VTF-2 is regarded as a bang for the buck leader and I agree. I'm completely satisfied with mine.