Blown Bostons!!

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all,

My beloved Boston Pro 60's are on the verge of dying. I unfortunately in the beginning lacked the experience and knowledge of being worthy to have a "system" in my car. My amp gains was up way too high and my boost settings on my deck was jacked sky high. I'm sure everybody remembers. Anyways due to my inexperience my Bostons are on their last leg. Which pisses me off cuz of the price they were but now I can take out my kick panels and install correct size speakers for my Grand Prix which are 5.25". So that leads me now to my difficult decision of which speakers to replace them with. Let's be realistic here: everybody wants the almighty SR's but not many people can actually afford them. So I've went through the very long list of different component systems i.e. Rockford, Kicker, JL Audio, JBL, Focal, CDT Audio, etc. I'm thinking I've narrowed my list down to 4: Polk MM, Alpine Type X, MB Quart Reference, and possibly even getting the same Bostons but in 5.25". I need some opinions guys.

Also when I hook up my new components I think I'm gonna take out my Boston 4" and my Polk db 6x9 and just have my 1/2 channels on my amp for my tweeters up front and my 3/4 channels on my mids or vice versa. That's called bi-amping right? So is that they way I should do it or leave my backs alone? When I set everything correctly I only heard up front and not much in the back which led me to believe that I don't need backs just the bump in the trunk in the back and all the sound up front?
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2009
    What are you looking to spend?

As far as the SR5250, Crutchfield is running them on sale right now:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SR5250/Polk-Audio-Signature-Reference-SR5250.html?tp=97
  • GSRBOB
    GSRBOB Posts: 172
    edited February 2009
    I would stick with the Boston's but thats just me. I loved the way the old 6.5 proseries sounded back in the day. Paired up with an old Power Class PPI amp and a good deck really made them come to life.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    $500 for brand spankin' new SR5250's from an authorized dealer?! No question that is the way to go!

I used the 5250's in the 07 MECA season and won a state championship, several local shows and missed a world championship by only 1.5 points and beat several sets of "high end" speakers costing 2-3 times more - all with a single pair of SR5250's with 50 watts each.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2009
    I was on the way home from work tonight when I thought of something. I already had the Pro60's when I bought my Grand Prix. They were too big so I had to buy some kick panels off crutchfield. Well when I had my stereo installed there no was sound deadener installed in the kick panels. Wouldn't it be kinda hollow inside the kick panels? Would this "hollow" noise be what I mistake for distortion? If so I'll just stuff some Dynamat Xtreme in there inside of my kick panels and take care of that problem. It just seems like since I set my EQ and Boosts to what I'm supposed to my speaks come to life and I don't wanna get rid of them if I really don't have to.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2009
    If you dont have at least one layer of Dynamat on the backside of those Qforms, then they could be resonating as theyre pretty flimsy.

Go buy a Dynamat Wedge Pack. Its a 4 ft2 sheet and will be enough to put 2 layers on the back of those Q forms. Then go to Walmart and buy a couple boxes of non-hardening modelling clay and add a pretty thick layer on the back of the Q forms as well. After this, those things will be nearly bulletproof.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    edited February 2009
    MacLeod wrote: »
    If you dont have at least one layer of Dynamat on the backside of those Qforms, then they could be resonating as theyre pretty flimsy.

Go buy a Dynamat Wedge Pack. Its a 4 ft2 sheet and will be enough to put 2 layers on the back of those Q forms. Then go to Walmart and buy a couple boxes of non-hardening modelling clay and add a pretty thick layer on the back of the Q forms as well. After this, those things will be nearly bulletproof.

Would that be the best route to go? Lemme explain my concern. My Bostons I love dearly. My main concern is that where I have no leg room I'm starting to notice dirt on my speaker grills which is how I know that I've been kicking them unintentionally. It's pretty possible that on my drunken jamming nights i could kick my speaker all the way through right? Would a 5.25" be better inside my doors? My tweeter location is on my sail panels. Would the kick panels be better SQ than stock location? Other than that everything else sounds fantastic. OH one more thing. What should I do with my Polk db 6x9 and Boston 4"? Should I just leave them there or get rid of them and leave the exposing hole alone? I've heard that your bass flows into your cab better with the back speakers obsolete.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    You will get much better SQ with kicks than in the stock locations...dont get in your car drunk!

And ditch the rear speakers...they are also terrible for sq. If you have 4 different speakers coming from 4 different locations, all which vary in length from you to the speaker, it tends to smear the detail.

You also never answered how much you are wanting to spend? $500 for an $800 set of speakers from crutchfield is a damn good deal.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2009
    If youre going to use Qforms, you will pretty much have to use midbass drivers. Very few 6's will fit in Qforms kick panels so youll have to go with 5's and they do not have good midbass performance in there. So youre imaging will be much better with kicks but youre overall tonality will suffer unless youre using midbass.

If your car is small and you dont have a lot of legroom I wouldnt do it. Qforms take up quite a bit of space.

If your car has stock speaker locations at the bottom and as far forward as possible you could leave them there. The benefits would be legroom obviously but you could stick with a 6 and get better midbass response without the added expense of midbass drivers and amp.

The class I compete in requires the use of stock speaker locations and in 2007 me and the 1st place guy outscored every other class except for the top 2 which are the classes with "anything goes" installs so you can use stock locations and still have a great sounding car.

• JoshParsons84
    edited February 2009
    exalted512 wrote: »
    You also never answered how much you are wanting to spend? $500 for an $800 set of speakers from crutchfield is a damn good deal.
    -Cody

Well I don't think now that my speaks are damaged. I just have to Dynamat the inside of my Kicks and everything will sound great once again. So I guess I'll stick with my Bostons which I like very much so anyways and just insulate my QForms real well.