Installation issues please help!

integralover
integralover Posts: 5
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and I am also new with Polk Audio too, so please help me out with my system issue.
Talking about my problems are: I just bought a Panasonic CQ-VD100U, hooking it up to my car and it works fine, but I want more better sound so I bought the 4 channels Polk Audio PA500.4 amp, and a 4 channels Monster Cable. After I hooked up the cable from the Panasonic to the Amp (Pre out front from the Panasonic to Input front of the Amp, and Pre out rear from the Panasonic to Input Rear of the Amp). After that I wired to the speakers and my Sub, and there were no sound coming out from the speakers. Fisrt I thought the Amp got defectvie, I sent I back to Polk Audio for check up. A month later I got the amp back, and I check it up again, but I still happend tha same. I don't know what I need to do more, I miss some steps or I need to adjust somethings. Please help me out guys! I am really appreciated. One more thing I forgot to tell that I got power for my Amp.
Post edited by integralover on

Comments

• biggs
    biggs Posts: 16
    edited February 2009
    Just to make sure. You did connect power and ground to the amp? Also, it requires a remote-turnon lead from the headunit to the remote input on the amp, so it'll turn on when you start your headunit.

You didn't mention power wiring hookup in your post, so... If this is all in order then I don't know what the problem could be.
  • mr smith
    mr smith Posts: 31
    edited February 2009
    are any of the led lights on the amp turning on?
    **car**

front polkaudio mm6501

rear polkaudio mm5251

sub polkaudio mm1240dvc

polkaudio pa500.4

polkaudio pa600.1
  • integralover
    edited February 2009
    Ok about the power wiring hook up. First, I hooked up power cable from the battery to the capacitor (Monster 300 series) positive lead, from the positive lead of capacitor I wire the power to the positive of the amp. The negative lead of the capacitor I wire it to the ground, and I got the ground for the amp directly from the negative lead of the capacitor. There is a wire from the headunit call external ampifier control power lead, I connected it to the amp (remote input), it located between the power and ground of the amp. So I know the amp have power cause I saw the green lead of the amp light up, so I know everything have power, but I don't know why there is no sound coming out!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    Bypass the capacitor. First off you dont need it with that small of an amp and second it could be faulty.

Do you have another cheap or old amp lying around? If so throw it in there real quick to make sure the problem isnt the hook up or the head unit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited February 2009
    What speakers do you have it connected to? Do you have pics of your install?
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • integralover
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, It's a good idea to try it with the old amp first. I need the capacitor because I have a kind up build engine, so I don't want to loose voltages for the system, that's reason why I need the capacitor. I got infinity speakers, and too bad I don't have any pics, I'll take some pics tomorrow! Thanks for the reply guys, really appreciated.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2009
    Have you tried just running the front speakers without the sub? If the sub is bad it could be shorting the back channels of the amp and it'll go into protect mode. Or possibly a short in the speaker wiring going to the front speakers. If you disconnect the sub and the speakers don't work, try disconnecting the front speakers and wire the sub up and see if it plays. If the sub works hook up one front speaker at a time to see which is the problem.
  • integralover
    edited February 2009
    Well I jsut got my amp back from Polk audio, and after I have done connected everything without connecting the speakers, I tried connect the small tweeter to test, there was no sound coming out. About the sub and speakers, I think if there war a shorting in the system, the green LED of the amp should turn to red, but it have never turned red. The problem is there was no sound coming out. I suspect the pre out of my dvd is defective. I just try to hook up another amp this morning but the same problem, well I'll try again with difference amp that I borrow from my friend just want to make sure the pre out of dvd is defective. Anyway thank a lot for your common!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    If youve hooked up 2 different amps, they get power but when you hook speakers up to them they dont play - you have a problem in the signal chain somewhere and not with the amp.

First unhook all the speakers then if you have an old or extra speaker lying around, take it and hook it up to the amp using new speaker wire. Dont install it in the car, just hold it in your hand, and dont use any wiring youre using now. If you get sound then you have a problem with the speaker wiring in the car. Start hooking up the car speakers one at a time til the sound cuts out and youll know which one is faulty. Maybe shorting to ground somewhere.

If this doesnt work, then pull out the head unit and run some different RCA's to the amp and see if that works. If it does, you could have faulty RCA's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2009
    Do you have an ipod or some sort of portable music player? Get an adaptor from radio shack that would take the headphone jack to a pair of RCA's. Turn the amp on and run that into the amp and see if that works.
  • integralover
    edited February 2009
    Hi, everyone. I already found out what wrong with my wiring set up. There nothing wrong with the amp or the DVD player. The problem is how stupid I am not to ready the instruction of the Monster Capacitor carefully, so I ended up wiring the wrong way, so there is not enough power for the amp to working properly. There is a charging and discharging cable come alone with the kit for the capacitor. I must take it out from my system after the capacitor is fully charge, and connect the positive cable straight from the battery to the capacitor. So there should be 12v from capacitor go staight to the amp other than only 7v go to the amp with the charging cable in the system.
    Once again, Thank you a lot for helping me out with yours commons really appreciate!