Which 6 x 9's ?

Bud Weaver
Bud Weaver Posts: 4
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I need some help help in deciding which speakers to compliment my current setup. I need a 6 x 9 and was looking at the MMC690's but am still unsure. My HU is a Sony Xplod and I listen to alot of digital tunes via my Ipod. I am currently powering my 4 speakers (6 1/2" fronts and 6 x 9 door panels) by a Performance Teknique ICBM-775--- 80W RMS @2 ohms, 65 @ 4 ohms--I was looking at going with the Momo's but are the DB's just as good? How about the MM691's?

Thanx!
Bud
Post edited by Bud Weaver on

Comments

• Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited February 2009
    the momos are better than the DBs
    but the new MM691 are the remplacement of the MOMOs
    so the MM691 should be a very nice speaker...

but in my very personal opinion....

in terms of sound quality, just take off the rear speakers, and buy a decent pair of front speakers, like the MM6501, or even better the SR6500...

when you have just a pair of speakers (real stereo), your sound quality improves by mainly 3 reasons...

1.- theres a real front sound stage...
    2.- you dont have distortion in your hears by 4 speakers playing the same frecuency, its like having 2 voices singing the same melody at the same time
    (each pair of speakers is one voice), and due to the speakers location, the time of the sound its going to be different.
    4.- You can bi-amp, giving you a more precise tuning of the speakers..

its just my personal opinion, im not an expert but here we have a lot of them, that can give you a good advice..
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited February 2009
    also if you dont have a subwoofer and you enjoy the bass of a 6x9, buy the MMs and try to attenuate the highs, so you can have a little more deepness on your sound..
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2009
    I owned a set of MMC690's for a couple years a while back and I believe them to be the best coaxial speaker on the market! I loved mine. If they are on your short list - they win IMO.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Bud Weaver
    Bud Weaver Posts: 4
    edited February 2009
    Welp....after I got home this evening, and as luck would have it, I had a message from Crutchfield informing me that I had in fact purchased the very last pair of Momo's that they were offering when I had in fact been told earlier in the day that they were not available!
    At any rate, now I have 2 sets of Momo's because in my haste I got another set from a different online retailer. So now I'll have to dump the other set but at least I can say I'm the proud owner of my first set (and hopefully not the last :)) of Polk audio speakers!
    I have been following the hype associated with these speakers and all of the rave reviews that they have received so now I can experiance this for myself.
    Thanx to all for the help with my decision!!

Regards,
    Bud