Jaguar Door Panels

JagMaster
JagMaster Posts: 2
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey all, As you may all know circuit city is going out of business so they have huge discounts right now. Today I got my self a pair of Polk DB521. I got home to install them but I couldnt figure out how to remove the door panels. I have a 2005 Jaguar XJ8. I cant take it to the dealer because they would probably charge me at least four hundred bucks to replace two speakers. Let me know if anyone knows how to remove the panels. Thanks in advance. :)
Post edited by JagMaster on

Comments

• Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited February 2009
    Nice car. My dad has a 1990 Jaguar XJS V-12 convertible in mint condition. Classy and fast. Welcome to Club Polk by the way. I have no idea on the door panel removal though.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,362
    edited February 2009
    as former installer I must advise you not to attemp doing this on your own... the Jaguar uses a very sophisticated electrical system that uses multiplexing. Multiplexing simply means that one wire can be used to run several functions by pulsing electical signals through it digitally. further, most functions in the car rely upon a 5.3 volt electrical system, including most obc's (on board computers). The car's entire body structure including the doors are made out of bonded aluminum panels that can bend quite easily. I currently drive a 2000 Jaguar VandenPlas Super V8 and am quite passionate about these vehicles... You do not need to go to the dealer to get this done, however it is best to let someone trained in this work do the job and be responsible for any damage that can result. there is nothing worse than doing thousands of dollars in damage because you thought it was easy to do on your own. besides that your service advisor would get a few laughs out of it as well...

John
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited February 2009
    This can be a can of worms if you are not careful. If you have a warranty any work done by even the best installers may void your warranty. I am a service advisor for Cadillac and have seen much damage done by both owners and aftermarket installers, and no, its not funny because any time I have an upset customer (for any reason), its no fun at all. Check with your dealer, they might have good news for you or at least let you know where you stand. This costs nothing.

I own a beautiful 1994 XJ40 and will be upgrading the sound system this year. I have spent alot of time researching and found it is going to be painful and expensive to do it right, but at least I know where I stand. Also, check out jag-lovers.org. I have saved a fortune as a member of jag-lovers.

Good luck.

Dave
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    xj4094dg wrote: »
    This can be a can of worms if you are not careful. If you have a warranty any work done by even the best installers may void your warranty. I am a service advisor for Cadillac and have seen much damage done by both owners and aftermarket installers, and no, its not funny because any time I have an upset customer (for any reason), its no fun at all. Check with your dealer, they might have good news for you or at least let you know where you stand. This costs nothing.

As an installer that has to deal with service advisors, any work done to your car will NOT void your warranty, unless the dealership can prove what was installed caused the problem without doubt. It is federal law mandated my the Magnuson-Moss Act.

We've actually had people at the local Saturn dealership say they wouldn't do the free oil changes that come with buying the car because he had an aftermarket alarm system on it.

Either way, Jaguars are not terribly easy to install on by any means, I would take it to a shop to do it...and by shop, I dont mean Best Buy. Find a good, reputable shop in your area to take it to.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited February 2009
    Good points all. I did say MAY void the factory warranty. All of the aftermarket stuff we offer through the dealership is backed by the installer, not the factory. Good shops always back their work. My point was that SOME installers have done things to affect other systems without knowing it, and then have no knowledge or equipment to repair the damage done. The good thing is that many of the new on board computers keep a log of events (including events as simple as disconnecting the battery) making it easier to trace problems and what may have caused them. Find a shop like Cody's that works well with dealers and you should be fine. I have even referred some of my customers directly to these shops, ask your advisor who he uses or ask the shops for referrals from the dealers they work with.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • JagMaster
    JagMaster Posts: 2
    edited February 2009
    Thanks all for your welcome and advices, I will take it to a shop or dealer and let them replace the speakers. I have removed door panels from mercs and bmws but Jag seemed different to me. Anyway thanks again guys =)