Tuning Baby Steps ;)

CarSoundDude
CarSoundDude Posts: 27
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I managed to get the input and output levels of the crossover set with the amplifier gains set to zero still.

First, I noticed that when i turn the amp gains up, I start to get a quiet hiss from the speakers. This noise is present when playing music even if the volume knob is set to zero. Is a little of this noise usual... or should it be completely silent?

Also, concerning timing. Will adjusting the timing to make the driver's side sound better always make the passenger's side sound worse? It seems to me like timing adjustments would be used to make the sound arrive at one single point at the proper time.

SR5250s with PA500.4 and SR124DVC with 1200.1
Eclipse 7200MKII with AudioControl DQS
Post edited by CarSoundDude on

Comments

• rallyshark
    rallyshark Posts: 417
    edited February 2009
    I would double check the ground wires maybe? Everytime I've ever had problems like this is was a ground problem. I hope that helps:)
    Sony 40" LCD
    Sony DVPCX995V
    Sony PS3(games/media server)
    Sony PS2
    WD TV Live with 3TB
    Sanyo VCR
    Marantz SR6003
    Polk 11T(xover/RDO)
    RM20 5 pack
    OWM 5
    DUAL Micro Pro 1000
    Combastard Cable
    Harmony One
    When rapture comes, can I have your car?
  • CarSoundDude
    CarSoundDude Posts: 27
    edited February 2009
    Yes, the hiss is present with the engine off. Actually, I can get it where the hiss is inaudible ( basically I have to put my ear directly on the grill to hear it) even with the engine off IF my 500.4's gains are at zero.

Seems I found an answer for the timing question, though it wasn't the one i was hoping for, since it seems from the solution that adjusting timing will only help one listening point and hurt the rest.
    My HU's manual says that timing delay can be calculated by:
    A = (B-C)/34
    where:
    A= Delay Time(ms)
    B= Distance from listening position to the furthest speaker(cm)
    C=Distance from the listening position to the speaker to be adjusted(cm)
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2009
    Try and run a ground from the head unit to the ground on the amp, you can just run some 18awg wire over the seats from the radio to the amp...if that helps, then hide the wire and run it back properly, if it doesn't, then you didn't waste your time hiding all the wires.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited February 2009
    "hiss" hints to the fact that your levels are improperly matched. the signal from the RCA may be 2V for example. there's an associated noise floor with this signal.

if the amp's gain control is set to MATCH the 2V input, then the noise floor will be low enuff to be unnoticeable. this is the point of gain control on an amp. gain is not volume.

if u thought the music was too quiet with the gains low, then u need a more powerful amp. turning up the gain raises the output for the music AND the noise.