Balanced Inputs

Options
Ceruleance
Ceruleance Posts: 991
What are balanced and unbalanced inputs, and what do I need to know about them, specifically in regards to using an amp with XLR inputs (and most likely using an RCA to XLR patch cable)
Post edited by Ceruleance on

Comments

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2003
    Options
    There is really no such thing as an RCA patch cable. A balanced input needs a "shorting device" to trick a balanced input into acting like an RCA input. This is what the cable you are referring to does.

Balanced inputs lower the noise level 6db. Thats a bunch.
    Having a balanced amp is a VERY good thing. To do it justice, you need a balanced preamp and preferable a balanced source (cd player).

What balanced inputs do is cancel any noise that is picked up in the transmission cables.

A balanced 2-channel amp has twice the circuitry that a normal amp has. You should do it justice by respecting the XLR inputs and use them if at all possible. Balanced amps are a treasure.
    But, you need a balanced pre-amp to enjoy them - at minimum.

Pro-audio is XLR. Here is the heirarchy:
    Lowest: Receiver.
    Mid-low: Receiver + external amp.
    Mid-High: Preamp + Amp.
    Hi: Balanced Preamp + Balanced Amp
    Very High: Balanced CD + Balanced Preamp + Balanced Amp

Enjoy your amp. What brand is it?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I did not know that...

Thanks rskarvan...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I haven't bought my amp yet, but I am looking at used Carver Pro series amps. Not sure I have the dough for a balanced preamp so I will probably be using the amp with unbalanced inputs for the time being.