Sub issues, what could be the problem?

phuz
phuz Posts: 2,372
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok. JL 250/1 and an IDQ12v2. It's worked great for a couple of years, but every once in a while the sub would cut out, and I'd have to crank the sub level on the head unit to get it to "kick" back in. It's gotten worse. It's not working more frequently than it is.

What I've done:

1. Checked all connections inside the box.
2. Brought the enclosure/sub into my house and hooked it up to verify that it's not the sub or a voicecoil issue. Appears not to be.

Symptom: Randomly the sub plays nothing, or plays very low, almost like one of the voice coils isn't working or neither. Sometimes I can hear a little bit, sometimes nothing, sometimes it's prfect.

What fixes it? Put on a bass heavy track and turn the volume up, or crank the sub level on the headunit up a bit until the sub "kicks" back on and it will play fine for a bit.

Any ideas? Amp? Fuse? Wiring? Voice coils? Headunit sub outputs?
Post edited by phuz on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2009
    That actually sounds like an issue with the amp or possibly the head unit. You sure theyre up to snuff?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • phuz
    edited January 2009
    No, not sure. That's kind what I suspected but didn't want to admit. The only other thing I think could be the problem is the battery. If it's enough to start the car, it's enough to run a JL 250/1 and 300/2 right?

I'm thinking AMP, but how @#$%ing lame is that. It hasn't even been 2 years and it's had it?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2009
    Do you have another speaker you could test with? Hell run down to Walmart and buy one of their $20 subs and hook it up even without a box. If it plays fine then you know its not the amp and its somewhere between the amp and sub.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2009
    That could be anything....radio, amp, or sub.

When the sub shuts off, is the amp still lit up?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • phuz
    edited February 2009
    I can't really see any of the lights on the amp. It's underneath a seat, and all I have access to is the rear panel.

I think I figured it out.

You know how if you put a switch in the middle between it's two intended settings it will cut the sound completely? It seems that one of the switches on the amp wasn't fully engaged or is maybe going bad. It was either the sub sonic filter or another one of the little dip switches that after flipping it and flipping it back, everything seems to be all good.

I guess 40,000 miles in an SUV and my driving has taken it's toll. ;)

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not an idiot when it comes to this stuff, but I wanted to ask the pros before I started ripping out seats and cable trying to troubleshoot.