$59 Vifa speaker kit at Madisound

Options
2»

Comments

• RJaco
    RJaco Posts: 113
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Don't think my amp (Adcom 535 II) has a volume control. Do you guys leave your amp on all the time or do you turn it off when not in use? I have been turning mine off.
    I don't hear any distortion but my ears aren't the best. My son listened to them and he said they didn't have any distortion. I have about $100 in the speakers, so a pretty cheap speaker build. I am glad I did it. I had a little smile when I first turned them on and they worked. Guess I was afraid they wouldn't. Now I just need to build a sub.
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Nice Job!

Nick
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2009
    Options
    RJaco wrote: »
    Don't think my amp (Adcom 535 II) has a volume control. Do you guys leave your amp on all the time or do you turn it off when not in use? I have been turning mine off.
    I don't hear any distortion but my ears aren't the best. My son listened to them and he said they didn't have any distortion. I have about $100 in the speakers, so a pretty cheap speaker build. I am glad I did it. I had a little smile when I first turned them on and they worked. Guess I was afraid they wouldn't. Now I just need to build a sub.

I've gotten into the habit of turning my stereo off before killing the PC.

I've installed a line filter(or EMI filter) into a box with power outlets. It's a 7 amp filter so I use it for the 2 amps and a fan. There's a sub amp and a fan for it, then the 2 channel amp. To turn my system on, I boot the PC and use the one power switch that's installed on the line filter. Guess where I put the filter? Correct! Close to the power switch on the PC.

There's nothing really wrong with leaving the amp on. You'll get pops when you turn the computer on and off, but usually it's not a speaker destroyer. You also risk losing the amp if there's a lightning strike or other voltage spike on the lines.
  • RJaco
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Any way you get take a picture of your setup? I might want to do something like that.
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Basically, I have a custom built power bar laying across the top of the PC. Instead of turning on the amps(up to 3 sometimes) and fans, I turn on the power bar. Honestly, I could hack my PC with a relay and have everything turn on after the PC, even the monitor. The truth is, sometimes I move the stereo to another room, so I haven't bothered to go fully automatic.

There's even better options, like:
    http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByManufacturer/Bits-Ltd./Item/LCG5/

This way you don't ever have to touch the stereo.
  • RJaco
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Thanks, I will check in to it.