new momo sub

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just hooked up mt mm12 w/ enclosier, and i can turn my base nob past 12%, i have a 600ti pg,and I do understand that a speaker has to break in...but on every hit above 50% volume it pops? If ibreak it in will I be able to juice it like i should be able to?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2003
    im having the same problems with my mm120s
    im sending them back
    u mightve turned them up to high to early
    any type of bass booster is also a potential sub killer at high volumes
    i.e. bass booster on the head unit(not the real bass the bass booster) or if you have one on the amp
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2003
    gee..I cant turn my bass knob over 12% 50%..etc...give me a break____

1) all a bass nob does is increas the freq at a desired point.. usualy 40 or 45hz...

2) if you turn your bass knob up..you also increase distortion

3) so inturn..if your subs pop- YOUR OVERDRIVING THEM!

there is nothing wrong with the subs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its all in the setup. come on folks... work with me here

<Thomas the Grey- Master Cap Hater>
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    the old man is right -- he yelled at me for DAYS .. WEEKS.... etc etc that i was doing that exact same thing ot my DX 12's.. i kept tellin him "no no u're old and senile" -- but sure enough... in the end... he was pretty mcuh on the money.

-- Vinnie the Fat.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    There is a slight chance you got a bum sub, but it's unlikely. Check to see if the sub is hitting the grill/cover.

I keep my bass settings on my headunit at -2 and let my amp do it's job. :)

Do you use the 'loudness' feature on your head unit? How is your amp set up? Any other bass enhancing features on your headunit or amp in use? If so keep playing with them (lower them) - as it was said all that stuff does is increase bass at certain frequencies which puts everything out of whack.

Try keeping your bass knob/boost flat at 0 or a little up, and turn up the gain on your amp instead.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    the "bass" knob on your head unit alters the freqencies sent to your speakers -- all yoru speakers.. its not just a "volume" control for your subs.

most bass knobs are factory set at 100 or 120 hertz... (some heads have adjustment that you can center it at 60 / 80 / 100 / 120 ..wherever.. but most are preset at 100 hertz)... now 100 is a good bit over that 80 hertz taht most people cross their subs over at so it doestn' have drastic effects on yoru subwoofer performance.. in relaity the bass knob affects your 4 "high" speakers more than your subs.

loudness however, as you said, can cause problems. the only loudness button i've ever seen that i like is pioneer's -- its adjustable.... you can scale it from 1 to 3 or 1 to 5 dependig on the unit... and i find that that "one" setting is actually just enough "umph" to get **** moving the way it ought to.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2003
    i guess i left my bass on a little too loud a little too long
    cuz both my subs are out of it
    learn from exepience
    bass boosters-bad
    gain-good
    it even rhymes to help you remember it:)
    -Cody
  • LILDRAGON
    LILDRAGON Posts: 47
    edited February 2003
    Hi, was wondering if you guys can help me out with my setup also?

Polk MOMO MM124 (.88cu sealed box)
    Rockford Fosgate RFX9300 Head Unit
    Rockford Fosgate Power 1000bd Amp
    4ga Lightning Audio Power and Ground

I cannot seem to get enough bass out of the single 12" unless I turn up the SUM level on the head unit to 30 which is max and the bass boost for the amp maxed out too. My amp is set to 75hz and the gain control is about 20-25%. I can hardly hear the bass not alone feel it unless everything is turned up. The subs will distort and hit the grills (is this normal). Please let me know what it should be configured as. My sub right now does not sound good at all and I do not want to damage it. Also let me know if you need more info.

Also would a 1.25cu sealed box work for this sub? Or will it damage the drivers?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    lildragon see reply in other post.
  • Kenny W
    Kenny W Posts: 8
    edited February 2003
    hey phuz, when the sub hits the grill, does this mean that the sub is bad?
    What's that nasty rattle? Oh, its a Civic.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited February 2003
    yes, that is definitely a bad sign
    they had a recall on those
    call polk and theyll tell you what to do
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    when the sub hits the grille, is there also a little voice going "LEMME OUT!!! LEMME OUT!!!!!!!!! HELP !!!!" .... if so, you may have a baby otter trapped in your subwoofer enclosure. I'm not sure of polk covers that.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2003
    did someone say Trapped?:D
  • Kenny W
    Kenny W Posts: 8
    edited February 2003
    im mad i paid the extra for the grill. all it does is get in the way of the sub and leave little marks on the rubber surround. it pisses me off. i think that might have been part of the reason that my MM12 blew up yesterday. the whole sealed enclosure filled with smoke. is this a blown voice coil or is it something else? i think maybe if it blew im gonna get a more powerful amp so i dont overpush and get distortion - that is, if polk replaces the sub that blew up. i bought it from electronic giant but i do have all the serial numbers and proof that it's legit and not tampered with.

what i dont understand is that i didnt have the sub up that loud, at least not as loud as 800 watts should sound, and there was no distortion at all - it sounded really good - no popping, and then i looked in my trunk and the bass stopped and the enclosure filled with smoke. that pisses me off. i had expected more of that sub from the day i bought it. i used the same amp for my 2 infinity reference 12's and they sounded great. then i bridged the amp to the MM12, and it wasn't really louder than the 2 12's, and it only sounded a little cleaner. I would have thought it should have sounded much cleaner and gone much louder.
    What's that nasty rattle? Oh, its a Civic.