Speaker Maintenance?

Options
UNOMav
UNOMav Posts: 2
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I have a pair of Polk Monitor 10's that have worked like a dream for over 10 years. Is there such thing as a "tune up" for speakers such as this that are as old as mine? OR is it best to leave a good thing alone?

COMPONENTS:
Surround Receiver: Denon AVR-1803/883
DVD Player: Panasonic DVD RP62
CD Player: Sony CDP CX450
SPEAKERS:
Front: Polk Monitor 10 Series 2
Front Center: Polk CSi30
Sub: Polk PSW303
Rear Surround: Polk R30's
Rear Center: Polk CSi20
Post edited by UNOMav on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

You can upgrade the crossovers, other than that, just enjoy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2003
    Options
    F1nut- could you please detail what replacing the crossovers will help? I have a pair of Monitor 5jr speakers.... is replacing the crossovers on all older speakers reccomended? I think they sound just fine the way they are.... just curious.

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    Options
    F1 is not talking about a swap-out, just simply upgrading the crossover components (not needed, just a tweak some enjoy). Ie: going with better resistors, coils, and caps. Something along the line of Mills resistors, Solen or Audiocap capacitors, etc.

As far as general maintenance, keep the cabs clean with a little murphy's oil or lemon oil, lightly vacuum the grills, and check your wire connections for oxidation (if you are in the bare-wire club), other than that, En-friggin-Joy.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited February 2003
    Options
    The RuSsMaN is correct, I was speaking of upgrade not swap out.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk