Progressive DVD player as a CD player

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited February 2003 in Electronics
Based on advice I have received from many of you on this forum, I was told that instead of upgrading my R40's to an LSi system, I should instead probably focus on first upgrading my electronic components. Makes sense to me. My question to you all is, would a good progressive scan DVD player work well as a good CD player? I don't have a TV right now, so I don't need the DVD functionality of it. However, when I do get a TV, I am sure that would be nice. What models can you recommend? What prices should I be looking at? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    Some progressive scan DVD players will function quite nicely as a CD player. I can speak from experience that my Harman Kardon prog. scan DVD player did a really good job with audio, however it does not sound as good of a job as my Rotel CD player.

What you should be looking at are the internal DACs. Harman components come with Crystal and Wolfson Audio DACs, which are moderately high quality DACs. The H/K DVD25 is about $250 or so, has quality audio and video DACs, prog. scan, etc. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Heck if you want I'll sell ya my H/K DVD-50. It's just come back from service so it's in tip-top shape. Let me know. email: phuz@txraves.org

Just keep in mind that a DVD player will never really sound as good as a stand alone CD player, but this is something that you really won't notice untill quite a bit further down in your upgrade path.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Sound advice there phuz... NPI...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited February 2003
    Good timing...it was just a week ago that my wife and I did some A/B testing between our current JVC "plays anything" and the circa 1988 player made by Philips for M/vox. Huge difference! I can't believe I was ever content with the old one.

As for comparing modern devices, I chose the JVC over Sony. Both audio and video are superior with the JVC. Panny also makes a highly regarded unit.

Models I'd recommend in the $150-$250 range:

JVC XVS502
    Panny RP62
    H/K DVD25