Two Quick SR6500 Questions

Xavier23
Xavier23 Posts: 5
edited January 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi. I am on the verge of purchasing a new set of SR6500's. I am coming off a set of infinity components that I hated due to their overly harsh sound. So, I am stepping up a few notches here. I have always been very interested in the SR line. I thought about the Alpine X series for awhile, but I have never owned Alpine speakers, and I was ready to jump into unfamiliar territory and be let down again. So here are my two questions.......

-I remember one person saying that they thought their ipod sounded like **** on the SR6500's. Kind of like when you buy a new plasma tv and the HD content looks great, but not so much on SD. And obviously, good speakers are going to bring out the best and worst of the content playing through them. I just want to make sure if I am using a lossless usb conection with a 256 bit rate or higher that I will still be able to enjoy listening to my ipod in my car. That i don't have to rely on merily cd's taking in mind that they will obviously sound better than burned/ripped music.

-The other question is this. I am putting these guys up front. My facrotry rear's are 6X9. Obviously, it would be great to get another set of SR6500's and mount the tweeter on the coaxil and call it a day. However, I can splurge for one pair, but I don't exactly think i can swing two. Plus, 4 large crossovers could start to be a problem in terms of space for me. So, are the MM691's an okay speaker to go with in the 6x9 slot even though the specs are a little different on the account it is in a different "series" and all.

Any and all opinions posted as soon as possible would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
Post edited by Xavier23 on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited January 2009
    I've got SR 6500's in my car, but I added a little mid from some of our home speakers. I still have Zapco C2K amps and a Zapco processor (never got around to swapping in Polk amps) after all these years, and last year I took out the CD player. My head unit is the Alpine iDA- x100, which has no CD transport- only ipod and radio. I have most of my songs at 320, but lots of stuff is lossless and it sounds great. I have a Sirius tuner hooked up as well, and that's where you cringe when listening to music. But Sirius is compressed far beyond what most people do to their songs on their ipods.

So to answer your question- yes, ipods can sound good on SR's.

I don't have any rear speakers in my car at all, you can get away with whatever back there. If you have SR's up front I would recommend fading towards the front so you hardly notice the rears anyway...
  • Xavier23
    edited January 2009
    Well, that is good to know. I would like to use my ipod without the speakers bringing out every imperfection to the point where it doesnt sound good. But it is a slight bummer on the Sirius end because I was considering finally taking the plunge into Sat. radio. Does HD radio suffer the same quality issues as Sirius?
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited January 2009
    HD radio sounds pretty good (I have the Alpine HD tuner box as well), but I never spend any time listening to it. Even though Sirius sounds pretty bad, I'd rather listen to content that I like that sounds bad. Songs I don't like that sound pretty good (HD) don't interest me. Plus the HD boxes are pretty expensive. In the car I listen to mostly talk stations on Sirius and they don't sound bad.
  • Xavier23
    edited January 2009
    have you heard the alpine x pro series? i know someone who has these installed, but I can't kind the sr6500's locally to listen to. From what I can find online it seems to be a coin flip between the two
  • Xavier23
    edited January 2009
    The reason i asked the above question is the it looks like the big Tweeters of the SR6500 are going to cause me to mount them on the axial. Now, if i went with the slightly smaller Alipne X series, I should be okay with the OEM mount in my mitsubishi eclipse. So, now I have to try and figure out which speaker would be better if I am forced to mount coaxial with the Polk but don't have to with the Alpine. Ughhh...Its always something
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2009
    no way you could modify the stock location to accept the SR tweeters?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Xavier23
    edited January 2009
    Im going to try. I'll take some pics tomorrow and show you what I'm working with