In-Dash Amplifier

djzubah
djzubah Posts: 17
edited February 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I remember seeing a post on the forums a while back about Alpine's Power Pack for their 2005 and up head units. http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=KTP-445 Well, since they havent released their product to sell yet, I was wondering if anyone knew of any alternatives.

I figure that if a single din head unit can generate 22rms of power per speaker while still fitting all the computer processing and whatever it takes to make a CD player, USB port etc. to work then what is stopping someone to create an amplifier that fits in the dash? It would generate more power than a head unit, am I right?

In my mind it sounds like a good idea... but that's why I came to ya'll. What would be the drawbacks of such a unit?
Post edited by djzubah on

Comments

• TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited January 2009
    HEAT & SIZE.

I've not seen a head unit built in yet that equals a same-wattage separate amp. EVER.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • djzubah
    edited January 2009
    Here is where I'm confused about size: if the head unit already amplifies the signal to 22rms x 4, wouldn't something in the same size be able to do more if it was just taking signal, no processing? The amp would not waste space with a cd player for one, which takes a bulk of space in the unit. It would only need to process the signal from the separate reciever.

What if there was a 2-din size unit, would it be possible?
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2009
    i concur with the heat aspect.....if you put something like that under your CDP, you'll end up with magma oozing out of your cd slot........

I agree it would be nice for the size of these things to shrink considerably, but I wouldn't ever see myself wanting something around my cars wiring harness that has the heat output of an amplifier........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • mr smith
    mr smith Posts: 31
    edited January 2009
    the first "system" i ever did had a 2x20 in dash amp worked fine for many years
    **car**

front polkaudio mm6501

rear polkaudio mm5251

sub polkaudio mm1240dvc

polkaudio pa500.4

polkaudio pa600.1
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2009
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    HEAT & SIZE.

I've not seen a head unit built in yet that equals a same-wattage separate amp. EVER.

Bing!

Dont be fooled by those "22x4" ratings on head units. Thats not real world power. Notice the THD level which will tell you how hard the unit is working when it makes that power. Just look at your typical 50x2 amplifier. Its more than twice the size of a head unit that supposedly makes almost the same power. The old adage in cars applies here. There is no replacement for displacement.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • djzubah
    edited January 2009
    okay, I'm following completely what y'all are saying. So does anyone know how the Alpine power pack will be adding more power to the receiver?
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited January 2009
    Osmosis?
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited January 2009
    http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product_acc.php?model=KTP-445

I don't think it adds a ton of power, but it's a separate box that's just an amp. I would guess that it has to have more output than the deck's built- in amp. At CES they had displays that let you listen to a head unit with or without the add- on amp, and it was louder with the amp.
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2009
    This is actually a pretty ingenious idea. Id be willing to be a lot of people would much rather have the option of throwing this little thing behind their head unit as opposed to going thru all the trouble of installing and amp and giving up space. 150% power increase - that would be around 50 watts RMS real world power per channel in my guesstimation. $140 is cheaper than most 50x4 amps would cost. Ill be interested in seeing how this thing does in the market.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • djzubah
    edited February 2009
    so how does the alpine power pack get the electricity it needs to add power? this is all pretty new to me
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited February 2009
    MacLeod wrote: »
    There is no replacement for displacement.

Only nowadays in 4 cyl u can replace that displacement with a monstrous size turbo!!! :D Mac ur still the man though!
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2009
    Sure, you can have a lot of power that way......at 7000 RPMs!

Give me a V8 any day that can pull a house down at just off idle. ;)