What's the difference, Integra and Onkyo?

Options
brentski
brentski Posts: 96
edited February 2003 in Electronics
In trying to decide on my upcoming 6.1 rcvr. purchase, I've come across the Integra line of receivers,especially the DTR 6.3 as opposed to the Onkyo's line in the same price range(up to $1,000.
One of the dealers (who carries only Integra),said it's the top line of Onkyo products, are THX certified and made by the same Co.

Is this true , and if so, any ideas on what and how important their differences are? Also,what about THX certified receivers. Is it just something to jack up the price or is it a real factor in determining what to get?

Here's the Integra DTR 6.3;
http://www.gspr.com/integra/dtr53-63.html

And the Onkyo TX-DS797 http://www.elegantaudiovideo.com/onk797.htm

the NAD T-752;http://www.authentichometheater.com/nadt751.html

Denon AVR-1082;http://www.proactiveelectronics.com/DEAVR1082

And the Yamaha RX-V2300; http://www.reliableaudiovideo.com/yamrxnewmodi2.html

Please, someone help me out here.
(I'm getting a brain freeze)

Thanks,brentskie

Center; CS-400i
Main's; RT-55's
Side Surround's-RT-35's
Rear center;CS-300
Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
Post edited by brentski on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Onkyo and Integra are one and the same company, kind of like Sony/Sony ES, and Pioneer/Pioneer Elite.

Onkyo started this type behavior AFTER the others. Their old line included Onkyo Grand Integra power amps, and they are AWESOME. I recently added a Onkyo "Integra" M-506 (1981-85 vintage) to my power amp collection, and it's a BIG, BAD, MOTHER. There are two of everything inside the case, but only one AC cord. A real dual-mono beast. It's rated at 130wpc @ 8 ohms, and 170wpc @ 4. It is all I can do to lift it off the floor. A guy down in Virginia Beach, Va., was kind enough to grab a 200wpc @ 8 ohms Onkyo "Integra" M-5090 for me at a pawn shop (300wpc @ 4 ohms). It listed for $1,800 in 1985. It weighs 80lbs. I have some stuff he is interested in, and we will soon be meeting wherever the halfway point between here and there is. I WANT that amp. It'll be perfect to drive the woofs in my AR-9's, which drop down to 2 ohms in some spots(1978 vintage AR-9's, not the ones today).Onkyo is honest, well constructed stuff.

THX versus NON-THX has been kicked around here before. Others will say the opposite, but I feel THX is nothing more than a cash cow. A good amp, is a good amp, and shouldn't have to prove itself by wearing a 3 letter badge.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • brentski
    brentski Posts: 96
    edited February 2003
    Options
    So, Integra or Onkyo. Is one really better than the other in the same price range?

Is the DT-6.3 better/worse than the Onkyo TX-DS797?
    Any thoughts
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I'm lookin at getting the Integra 6.3 as well brentski. I have had an Onkyo receiver for just about 6 years, and have never been disappointed. One pro to going Integra is that it carries a 2 year warranty vs. the one year on the Onkyo line. If not the 6.3, then I'll probably look at the 3803, but that may be overkill......we'll see.

Good luck.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Actually the Integra's should carry a 3 year warranty new and B-stocks or refurbs carry a 1 year warranty last i knew, I had a Onkyo tx-sv727 for many years and it worked great and now have the DTR 7.1 by Integra and its leaps and bounds above the Onkyo only because of the new formats and do dads, But it looks classier and sleek, great remote control and power.. all and all great package.. get the Integra not many people have them on here and overall they do have a few more options compared to a regular Onkyo, But Like George said still the same company and same quality// either way

alot of people are tied down to Rotel and denon and all the usual round up around here, But onkyo and Integra haven't been around this long for nothing, It's still good gear!!
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hey Brent,
    I own the 797, it's a awsome, very flexible unit....as far as the Integra line from what I've got is supposed to have a little better upgrade in the guts, better wire and the like......supposedly a little cleaner.How much of that is propaganda ,who the hell knows. I have not seen anything in the Integra line (spec wise) that is that much different in similar Onkyo units. The Oinks have very good connection options and an alumnium faceplate like the Integra. Needless to say I highly recommend the 797. One question to look at is what are you trying to drive with your reciever.
    My 2 cents Stuff.
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I've used Oink in the HT rig for 7 years now, not one complaint.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Regular Onks have a 2 year warranty.
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have a Onkyo and a Pioneer Elite. The Integra is just a higher line Onkyo, is it any better you will have to tell. I felt that the Pioneer Elite was much better than the Pioneer line, it was also much more expensive. The Pioneer Elite is THX Ultra certified and it is much better than my Onkyo (again more than twice the money)...

I would just find receivers that have the features you want and then test them out...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    As said before in this thead is the Integra is the ELITE of Onkyo.The company Integra actually spit from Onkyo from what I heard.They are thee own little division.
    The differences is in the amps section,built quality,DAC's,features,Etc.
    If your looking to get into Onkyo,then Integra needs a serious look and listen.Your not going to find Integra in CC,most higher fi stores will carry Integra.It's a good product and has been around for a long time.But you have to like how it sounds and whats offered.
    I personally don't care for Onkyo or Integra.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Just stay away from Denon - whatever you do. Your ears will thank you for it.
    Just curious - why the "negative waves" on Denon?

- Oddball (Kelly's Heroes) :)
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I recently "test-listened" the Integra 6.3 versus the Yamaha RX-V1300. The folks here are correct about the Integra. It uses better quality parts than the Onkyo even though the specs are the same as the 700 series. I listened to the Integra and the Yammie in the hi-fi store in stereo mode at moderate level and could not differentiate the two receivers.

However, I got to take both receivers home for a trial in my own setup. I have RT35i's that I use for mains with a PSW350 sub, Polk center channel, and Polk in ceiling speakers. I preferred the sound of the Yamaha over the Integra. You really can't go wrong with either but I found the Yammie a little more musically detailed, better stereo seperation and imaging, more power, more 192 DACS, more inputs/outputs, 4.0 v sub output vs. 1.0 v sub output on the Integra, better damping factor, less THD, and no noticeable hiss when you turn up the volume on the Yammie (with no source playing) 100% versus a noticeable hiss on the Integra at 85 - 100 % volume (again with no source signal). Of course no one would ever listen to music at these levels anyway (where distortion is detected) right?

To me the Yamaha seemed to be better constructed and weighed 33.1 lbs versus 26 lbs on the Integra (for whatever that's worth).
    The Yamaha also has a center channel eq for tone adjustment. It all really comes down to which one sounds better to you and if you are happy with that.

If you decide to get the Integra, I would definitely recommend it over an Onkyo. You get gold plated jacks, a nice brushed aluminum volume knob, and "top-shelf" internal parts versus the Onkyo.

Definitely listen to the Yamaha if your dealer allows you to return the receiver in case you don't like it. The 2300 has a little more power than the 1300 but I can't even turn up the 1300 to 40% volume in my living room and the entire room is about 96 db measured with a SPL meter (pretty loud) and crystal clear.

It's all a matter of personal choice and cost differences. I got the Yamaha $70 cheaper than the price of the Integra too. Integra has a three year warranty.
  • mikeo
    mikeo Posts: 15
    edited February 2003
    Options
    i second most of it :
    .. i have an Integra M-5550 .. oldtimer, but phenomenal sound ... and yes - it is definite better going with the Integra Series than the 'plain' Onkyo's -
    i found it interresting to read pjdami's post about the Yamaha (i favour that one too since a couple of weeks, but haven't bought it yet) -- seems to me that you can't go wrong that way ...

Pjdami, is it possible to add another amp (like my Integra) to beef up the Stere sound ? onto the Yamaha ?

cheers
    mikeo

..spoil yourself with clean sound..

..get the right stuff - no compromises
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Guys,

Just my two cents worth I also got the Yamaha 1300, and was able to listen to it at 6th Ave electronics and it sounded much better than the Denon 1803, I am not just talking about "playing louder" but just a more detailed smoother sound, just a little tid bit from a novice.

CRj
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Mikeo. I guess I'll be able to answer your question about the seperate amp hooked up to the Yamaha in about a week. I'm doing a little experiment now. I've been bigtime into stereos for about fifteeen years now and have a graveyard of old receivers, speakers, etc. that I need to sell on eBay or something because every few years and want to get something different.

Last week I came across some less than one year old Paradigm Studio 40 speakers at less than half off the original price so I bought them. since these speakers are bi-wirable and also bi-ampable, and I have never experimented with this before, it gives me something to tinker with now. Last night I ordered a NAD C270 power amp that I intend to hook up to the Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver to run the Paradigms (bi-wired) off the pre-outs and run my Polk center, sub, and rears off the Yamaha. Although the Yamaha is a very good receiver, I'm amazed at how much "smoother" a seperate power amp sounds in stereo mode over a regular receiver. I like the cleaness and detail of the Yamaha over the Integra (Onkyo) line but wish to tone down the "brightness" just a tad. Now, I'm being extra picky here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound of the Yammie right now but I think it can be improved with a seperate amp. The NAD C270 has a variable gain on it so that I can try to match the output of the the Yamaha amps for the center and surrounds.

After experimenting with this in a week or so (haven't received the C270 yet) then I can try to send the Yamaha main channels that I'm not using to the low frequency drivers on my main speakers and use the NAD amp for the high frequency drivers (and try to match the sound). This would be bi-amping. I have some questions too about how this is going to work and I need to do some reading on the forum to see if others have tried something like this. I'm certain someone has. My questions are how is this going to sound? I should get all of the surround sound processing through the Yamaha to the preouts for the NAD amp going to my mains I think.

Nothing like a little experimentation to pass the time and have some fun. I like that.

Paul
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited February 2003
    Options
    pjdami,

Let me know or post on the forum how this little experiment goes as I would like to do something like that with some more updated polk towers I am scoping out. I have the rt600i and I am looking to upgrade soon.

Carlos rivera
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2003
    Options
    As of this writing, I have 80 pounds of Onkyo Integra M-5090 power amp being shipped here. 200wpc @ 8 ohms, 300wpc @ 4.
    That amp will now drive the four 12" woofers in my AR-9's and the Onkyo Integra M-506RS that I am using now for that application, will drive the mids and tweets.

Carver 1,000 watt monoblocs still drive my Carver Amazing's, and always will.

"A man can never have TOO MUCH power"

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • mikeo
    mikeo Posts: 15
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Paul,

cool -- let me know your results, i am keen on learning :-)
    i haven't ordered the yamaha yet, but my financial officer said we should be save doing so <grin> ..
    i plan to hook up the SDA-II's that i have to the integra and connect the yamaha as the pre-amp to the integra.I think it should be possible to level out the sourround sound thereafter - and have a stronger stereo signal that way.
    Your saying that you plan to connect the pre-outs to the NAD and your front speaker to the NAD, center and rear are on the Yamaha. (this is what i plan too) .. If i understood you correctly - this is exciting - let me know how you get on :-)))

cheers
    mikeo

..spoil yourself with clean sound..

..get the right stuff - no compromises