Nightmarish Noises and other Problems :(

CarSoundDude
CarSoundDude Posts: 27
edited January 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I got my system installed today and couldn't be less happy.

-First of all the noise...a lot of engine noise, changing pitch as i press the gas

-Second more noise...even with the engine off and the volume completely to
zero, there is noise coming from my speakers. It sounds similar to the engine noise, but a much lower volume and steady pitch/hum.

-Third, audible pop when i turn on the system.

SR5250s with PA500.4
SR124DVC with PA1200.1
eclipse7200MKII with AudioControl DQS (Six channel eq)

To make matters worse, there are other non-audio problems:
-I had to use the "Metra" dash kit to replace the console in my G35 because of the climate control integration, and now the AC won't work either.(The settings all change on the display with the buttons on the , but the air is really hot instead of cold) Maybe a fuse, I'll check tomorrow when i have light.
Unfortunately, I have a lot of work to do in the next 2 days and Friday will be the earliest i can fix any of the real problems.
Post edited by CarSoundDude on

Comments

• rdb2001
    rdb2001 Posts: 791
    edited January 2009
    Sounds like your grounds are bad. Did you run rca's on one side and power and ground on the opposite side? DId you ground both amps on the same ground. If so that will cause some noise. Are the grounded with metal contact. Was the professionally installed? Others will chime in but with the engine noise, it sounds like a grounding issue.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2009
    Yup, youve got a major ground problem somewhere. Either youve got faulty ground points or something is shorting to ground somewhere in the line.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 300m
    300m Posts: 28
    edited January 2009
    Did you run new speaker wire from the amps to the speakers? If not did you bypass the factory bose amp?
    Team Schil Acoustics

’05 MECA world champion
    ’06 MECA world champion
    ’06 MECA Culbertson cup (best of show)
  • CarSoundDude
    edited January 2009
    A grounding problem is annoying , but at least it should be fixable.

The DQS's troubleshooting guide also mentions input grounding. saying:"...the source unit may look for a ground through the RCA connection to the amplifier and create a ground loop, which in turn can cause a whine...in that event you should set at least one of the 3 jumpers to the balanced position."

Again, something I'll try tomorrow when I have light.(when I'm not trying to finish this econometrics)
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited January 2009
    My Kenwood deck recently took a crap, similar to the problems the Pioneers were having with the Pico fuse.

It may be your deck.

I solved my problem for the most part, not completely but close enough to still play music.

I soldered a small wire across my rca's grounding shield and grounded them to the deck which is grounded to chassis by it's case and 10g wire.

I also bypassed the factory deck wiring, redid it w/10g, tore my setup apart, cleaned up every connection and checked all my wiring for any damage.
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2009
    Just read that part about the low hum even with the engine off (yes Im lazy and only read the first 2 lines of a post :D ) Id be willing to bet my bottom dollar youve got a faulty RCA. Didnt happen to run Streetwires did ya? Disconnect a pair or RCA's at a time and see if that fixes anything.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • CarSoundDude
    edited January 2009
    Nope, not Streetwires( figured i would tell ya that while you are still readin' ) Most of the problem was fixed today though by having the grounds redone...though there is still a tiny bit of noise. I won't be satisfied until it is completely gone, but at least at this point i can get to making the rest of it sound better.

To be honest, i am pretty anxious to get these 5250's broken in, however long that takes... I wanna hear the amazing things i read about them getting so much better.
    It will probably take me a little time to get over my fear of hurting them, lol.
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2009
    Go by your ears on the break in period. Youll start to notice music fattening up some after a few days or even a week and thats the sign theyre ready to go.

• CarSoundDude
    edited January 2009
    I fixed the remaining noise problems today!...switching 2 of the 3 jumpers inside the DQS to the "balanced" position did the trick.
    (Took me a while to find the jumpers though...since you actually have to unscrew the 4 screws holding on the face of the equalizer to access them.)