Pls help me integrate a sub

carnoob
carnoob Posts: 2
edited January 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey everyone, first post, thanks for taking the time to read it.

I'm trying to integrate a sub into my system, but I am running into a bit of a snag. Currently I'm using a Kenwood KVT-512 head unit, which has 2 preamp outpouts, 1 for front, and 1 for rear/subwoofer. I'm getting my power from an Alpine PDX 4.100 amp, and thats pushing Polk MM6501s in the front and rear of my car (they sound GREAT btw).

I'd like to get the Polk MM1240 (or anything else that is recommended) into the sytem to round out the low end, but I don't want to lose the fade ability, since I want to preserve the sound stage sitting up near the front of my car. Currently I have it set to roughly 65 % forward, 35 % rear.

Any ideas ? Oh and while on topic, any ideas for a sub enclosure thats small enough not to eat all the trunk space in a Beetle ? :)

Thx for any help you might give me.
Post edited by carnoob on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2009
    You can use a Y splitter from the head unit. Split the front RCA's to the amp so youll have 4 outputs. You wont be able to use the fader on your head unit for the speakers but you can use the gains on the amp to set the rears at a lower level than the fronts. This way you can use the rear RCA's for the sub amp and youll have the ability to fade the sub down if you need to.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • carnoob
    carnoob Posts: 2
    edited January 2009
    Bummer, so no way to use the fader on the head unit ? I figured as much.

Does it matter if I split the RCAs at the head unit, or further back near the amp ? Is there any benefit to using pre-outs on an amp to do something similar, or is roughly the same SQ ?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, you know, no good deed goes unpunished :)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2009
    You could use the passive outputs on your amp to go to the subwoofer amp. That would allow you to fade between front and rear speakers but you wouldnt be able to fade the sub. Of course you could buy a sub amp that has a remote volume knob that you could install up in the dash somewhere.

You should also really consider upgrading your head unit. Not only would you be better off having 3 sets of preouts but you could have much better tuning features as well.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D