Has anybody every heard of JD Audio???

Keske944
Keske944 Posts: 134
edited February 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey all. I was crusing ebay for some caps and ran across some by a company called JD Audio. Now I've never head of them but they have a 6 farad cap for like $150 that is a little bigger than a standard size (not much) but they say it is a lot heaveir than a one farad cap. I am thinking on buying it but like I said I have never heard of the Company so I am a little concerend that I amy be buying a lemon.

Any Ideas?
Patience... patience...

Screw patience... Crank the volume and floor it you panzie.
Post edited by Keske944 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    lemon? lemonade? country cocktail i say -- JD car audio -- drinking and driving was never this good.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Keske944
    edited February 2003
    Vinnie you need to get off the bottle and give me an answer that makes sense. Right now you are makng about as much sense as a couple of yodeling champions on thier honeymoon.
    Patience... patience...

• PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    i think y amissed that one... JD = Jack Daniels .. lemon? - well they dont make lemonade but Jack makes country cocktails. my ex girlfriends mother was completely blitzed off her **** a couple years ago at the George Straight festival... that woman can really pound those down i'll tell ya... ****, i shud put her in my car and go to NOPI next year -- she can SCREAM at 179 decibles ... id break every world record this side of Holland.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2003
    translation
    he probably doesnt know
    i havent heard of it either
    maybe they mistyped and it was JL
    but if it is JL watch out for the cap to be filled with sand to make it heavier...
    lol
    -Cody
  • Keske944
    edited February 2003
    No it is definitly JD. I e-mailed the guy who is selling them and he says that they are a new company and that is why I havn't heard of them. Thier caps are pretty compact but if they do the job great. If not I won't be out more than $200.00 at the most. Anyway I will attach a pic of the 6 farad cap I am thinking of (hey better too much than too little right).
    Patience... patience...

• Keske944
    edited February 2003
    One more pic
    Patience... patience...

• PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    wire a like a 1k ohm resistor from power to ground on a 1 farad and test teh discharge time (1k might be too big too small... not sure.. but if its too quick u can always just get a 10k or 100k) and then clock the discharge time... do the same for the 6 farad JD cap... clock it... if its not 6 times that of the 1 farad. its a Jipper...

I'd tell the guy you want to know "discharge rate with a [insert some value here] resistance on it" -- if they're legit they should have that information.. .i know lightning publishes it somewhere for their caps. i'd be curious to compare them

if its kosher then awesome cuz that's a whole lot of capacitance in a little package (may buy a few myself :) )
  • Keske944
    edited February 2003
    Here is a copy of all the info that he provides.

FEATURES:

-Longer life than secondary battery.
    -Can be charged and discharged more time than secondary batteries.
    -Low internal resistance allows boosting charge and heavy-circuit discharge. (Ampere Level).
    -Wider operating temperature range. (-25°C ~ +85°C).

SPECIFICATIONS:

-6,000,000 mfd (6 Farad)
    -Tolerances: -0% ~ 20%
    -Max Voltages: 20 Vdc
    -Surge Voltages: 25 Vdc
    -E.S.R.: <2.5m ohm
    -Remote Turn-On
    -4 Gauge Input
    -4 Gauge Output

Let me know what ya think Vinnie. If its a winner let me know. If not at least I havn't made the buy yet.
    Patience... patience...

• Keske944
    edited February 2003
    BTW he also has a three farad cap (about half the size) for about $100.00 + shipping and a fifteen farad cap (not much bigger than the six) for $200.00 + shipping. I figure I'll prob buy the six so I have room to grow (like I'm gonna need it with three sets of the MM6's and thw MM10's) But hey, life is short live it loud.All that I need now is my last amp, my cap, the acrylic sheet, the batteries, and I am good to go. I figure about another $800-1000 should get me all done with install. Then it's on to paint, MOMO steering wheel, pedals, stick, door skirts, and e-brake. Than I think I'll call it quites until I can afford the Porsche Turbo Twist 17 or 18" wheels. Thoes look great on the 944 (around $1000-$2000 with tires).
    Patience... patience...

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2003
    Why do you think you need a cap?

<Thomas the Grey- Master CAP Hater>
    :p
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    i dunno about that 6 farads in a "bottle" slightly bigger than a standard 1 farad... i am certainly skeptical of 15 farads in such a small package as well....

i dunno man...

i mean, the capacitance of a "capacitor" is determined by the dielectric material, the conductivity (if there is such a word) of the foil/metal material which is rolled up in there... and the number of revolutions (times its rolled.).. like you take a sheet of paper and you roll it up... now you can roll it with a LOT of space betwen revolutions, or very little space... you can get MORE paper rolled into a smaller tube if you roll it tighter but that then decreases the distance between the sheets which in general inhibits the capacitance capability of the whole thing.

Like i said, in theory... sure, he can have a big ol' cap in a small package -- Audiobahn makes a 3 farad cap that's about the size of 1 and a half "standard" 1 farad caps.

but I would really doubt a six in a package the size of a single farad unless he's got power dissipation clocked time ratings.

if this were like fosgate / streetwires / whoever name brand claiming they had come up with such a "big ****" cap in a small package they would advertise it with information saying "through our revolutionary super smart tech guys we've done procedure XYZ to make this cap so much more pwerful in a small package" -- and you'd have at least that ham hocked explaination as well as the brand name to stand behind the product.... with this guy you've just got his word. all of the information that he gave you is just basic junk that every company has for every other cap .. low esr... high quality components... blah blah blah... size of the cap, etc. that doesnt' tell u much, and quite honestly i'm not one to trust the word of some dude selling caps on Ebay (of all places) who hasn't got a major MFG behind him backing it all up.

That one just might be a big tube with sand in it and two metal screws at the top (pardon the humor)... or... it may be a 6 farad cap.. who knows.

but is it worth 200 bucks to find out?

you can get 6 Lightning Strike caps for 50 bucks each = 300 bucks. its tougher to wire, and 100 bucks more, but its a zero-headache type deal.

or... even Pyle has a 3 / 5 farad model... now pyle sux dude... trust me.. pyle sucks, but.. it is a LEGITIMATE 3 and 5 farad cap (two models i believe). they're pretty cheap. nobody likes pyle, but i'd take Pyle over Jack Daniels Country Coctail Sand Cap ... ya know?

Besides.. my girlfriend is sitting here going "You can't stuff 15 ferrets into a small package... that's cruelty to Mam-inals"...

so there... hah.

And thomas -- caps are for bottles of Jack Daniels... so the cat doesn't drink it.
  • Keske944
    edited February 2003
    Thanks Vinnie. I am bidding on the three farad cap. He gave me the dimensions of it as 6 1/2" tall 3 1/4" wide and 4 1/2" deep. I figure the three should be more than suffecient for my system (1650w with 600w to each MM10). I figure if it is legit than this is wonderful. If not I'll be out about $115.00 which isn't too bad.
    Patience... patience...

• PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    *like the bud commercial* ....

"True... True..." -- let us know how it works out for u after u get it....

later dude. :)
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2003
    Old chineese proverb:

A fool and his money are soon parted!

I always liked that one:0)

carry on........................................:eek:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    "<Thomas the Grey- Master CAP Hater> "

.... i'm glad to see you're getting into your new found role.... lmfao.:lol: