Bi-Wiring Question

Options
gacole2000
gacole2000 Posts: 255
I am bi-wiring my CS400 with IXOS 15 gage. I was going to use the same wire for both. Is it imperative that I use a thicker gauge for the LF? Thanks for the info.

Greg
AVR: Yamaha RX-V661
DVD: Yamaha DV-C6480
BR: Samsung 1600
Mains: Polk RT55 (bi-amped)
Center: CS300
Sides: FX1000
Rears: RT/FX
Subs: SVS 20-39 PC+ 12.3 & DIY SVS 12.2
Projector: Optoma HD70 w/ 106" Elite Screen
Power: Panamax MAX 5100
Remote: Harmony One
Post edited by gacole2000 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gacole2000
    I am bi-wiring my CS400 with IXOS 15 gage. I was going to use the same wire for both. Is it imperative that I use a thicker gauge for the LF? Thanks for the info.
    Greg
    Greg - not to confuse you but I have been wanting to comment on this very thing. When I was doing some heavy research awhile back I specifically read a "Hi-Fi" thread that stated to use larger speakers cable on the tweeters when bi-wiring. ( I remember this because it is opposite as one would think to use.)Because of the freqency and detail the average tweeter has over the mid range speaker. We all know what a huge difference the sound quality of a tweeter will make on a speaker. I will have to try and did that info up sometime.
  • gacole2000
    gacole2000 Posts: 255
    edited February 2003
    Options
    That is odd. Thanks- reg
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V661
    DVD: Yamaha DV-C6480
    BR: Samsung 1600
    Mains: Polk RT55 (bi-amped)
    Center: CS300
    Sides: FX1000
    Rears: RT/FX
    Subs: SVS 20-39 PC+ 12.3 & DIY SVS 12.2
    Projector: Optoma HD70 w/ 106" Elite Screen
    Power: Panamax MAX 5100
    Remote: Harmony One
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    At first take, it does make more sense that the bass run would require the heavier gauge as it’s carrying more signal current.

But when you turn your head around and consider the lower voltage applied to the high’s run means any current loss is more significant… Whoa, it becomes an in-between case for speaker runs vs. interconnects extremes I at least think I have a grip on.

I’ll look forward to reading the old thread you dig up. Meanwhile, I’m going to put another newbie, who just bi-wired with the heavier gauge supplying the bass, onto this and see if he’ll run a test.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD