7.1 suggestions (RM6700)

madrigal
madrigal Posts: 11
edited February 2003 in Speakers
RM6700 (RM2350 x 4 + RM2650)
PSW404
TX-SR800 receiver

So I figure I'll stick with Polk for the 2 extra surrounds, since I'm weird that way. Question is:

do I buy two more of the same sattelites (sold as RM2350), or buy two more center channel speakers (RM2650)?

and what exactly is "voice matching"?

reason I ask is any difference it might make if I just picked up another RM2650 and upgraded the current center to a CSi30/40 (which are "voice matched" for the RTi series).

thanks for your expertise ;)

btw, the two speakers I plan on adding don't have to be Polk's...so suggest away if you've got something else in mind ($3-400 is my budget for both speakers).
absence of existence is not existence of absense....just existence of nonsense amongst provincial obstinates
Post edited by madrigal on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    BOSE! ;)
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited February 2003
    I asked a question about voice matching in an earlier post (when I was setting up my system). Basically, it would be ideal to use the exact same speakers for every situation. This is usually not very practical though. Imagine a floor standing speaker atop your television is what one person wrote.

So you attempt to voice match as much as possible... the same speaker drivers mainly. So look for something with the same frequency response, drivers, etc.

Polk usually does a good job recommending speakers for a setup. Look up your front L/R surrounds and it'll give you some speakers to use for rear surrounds, center channel, subwoofer, etc.

I say buy the same compact sats that you have for your other speakers. It should be perfectly voice matched because you'll have the same speakers throughout.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • madrigal
    madrigal Posts: 11
    edited February 2003
    I guess my question is:

are the two extra speakers in 7.1 supposed to be rear centers (like the extra one in 6.1)?
    or should they just be considered as two more satellites?

another option would be upgrading the fronts to something beefier....but I'd like to keep things balanced if possible.
    absence of existence is not existence of absense....just existence of nonsense amongst provincial obstinates
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Depends on the source material. Currently there are ZERO DVD's, SACD's, or CD's that are encoded for 7.1 playback. But that doesn't mean 7.1 is not a viable option. Many of the newer receivers/pre-amps offer multiple DSP modes to "create" a 7.1 effect. EX and ES sound great when played back through a 7.1 system.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2003
    I would get two RM2350 sats. It would be a perfect match and it's a pretty cheap way to go. About $120 each.