Help a newb....make it stop!

Options
madrigal
madrigal Posts: 11
Hello Polkers...

Ok, so there was a bunch of sales/coupons this January, and I bought me a home theater.
audio stuff:

Onkyo TX-SR800
Polk RM6700
Polk PSW404
...and maybe a couple RM2350's later for 7.1

Problem is, I dunno what I'm doing when it comes to hooking it up (suprise!). I've lurked several forums for the past week (here, HT SPOT, audioreview, HardOCP, SMR, even UseNet), and everybody has his own take on low end cabling. For example on this forum, the mantis lady is a Monster advocate, while several of the pragmatic folks (like Dr. Spec) suggest Woods Speaker wire from HD/Lowe's. I just wanna buy something soon, cuz the TV speakers ain't no makin' it.

In general I'm *cheep*cheep*, but I wouldn't mind spending the xtra money for Monster XP; IF, their shielding/stranded/forged high atop mount Rube-con stories from their ads hold water. There's a good bit of inteference in my area, so I'd rather not get the cheap stuff, only to find out what I've been missing two years later w/ an upgrade. But, if there's going to be no noticeable difference to somebody like me (who's only used Koss, Sony, & Aiwa), then by all means tell me how bogus Monster cable is...

should I:
  1. Pick up a 250' spool of 12awg Woods from HD then price match @ Lowe's
  2. Get 4 spindles of Monster XP 50ft (I've got a 10% off coupon @ Tweeter, who'll have everything on sale this week)
  3. Make my own cables out of CAT5 (looks like a pain in the ****; but, I like to DIY, and I have a few thousand feet of it)
  4. buy something else you suggest

Also, would someone please explain why a lower guage is better/worse? I know lower is thicker, and I guess a better pipe for electrons(?), but I'm confused about length, thickness, & impedence. Longest run I'll have is <30ft. to rears.

TIA for all your help ;)
btw, nice place you got here, "Mr. Polk"
absence of existence is not existence of absense....just existence of nonsense amongst provincial obstinates
Post edited by madrigal on

Comments

• geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I picked up a Monster home theatre speaker package without the video cables (they have two versions). Got it at Circuit City for $99.

Came with 12 foot wires for the front L/R surrounds, 12 foot for the center, 25 foot wires for the rear L/R surrounds, and wires for the subwoofer, which didn't cut it. I ended up buying a subwoofer cable (Monster 12') from Circuit City as well. I think I paid $35 for it.

I'm happy with it. I'm sure you could probably find a better deal or find better wire, but for me it was what I was wanting -- something quick to throw the speakers to the receiver and get some sound out of it. After I do a bit of research, I might upgrade. That was my original plan, but I'm happy with the wire and probably won't upgrade now.

The only thing I'll probably do is add some banana plugs to the wire in the near future.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    If your just getting started I would suggest the economical approach first then as the upgrade bug hits ya you can then start spending. This approach will familiarize you with your system and when you begin the upgrades you can see first hand what the differences are.

I would say that your (A) approach will be very effective and cost efficient. 12 guage is a very good wire at any lenght and will minimize any losses associated with resistance. Go ahead and buy some bannana plugs and start enjoying.

The only thing I would insist on is you keeping in mind that this hoobie is very addictive and frustrating so don't get all wrapped around the axel.

Keep posting and have fun.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • madrigal
    edited February 2003
    Options
    thanks, but sounds like one of Monster's overpriced "you don't save more because we're important" bundles. besides, 12ft. is too long, and 25ft. is too short.

appreciate your speedy delivery tho...glad it worked for ya ;)

btw, your nick is very familiar....
    Originally posted by geekmedic
    I picked up a Monster home theatre speaker package without the video cables (they have two versions). Got it at Circuit City for $99.

Came with 12 foot wires for the front L/R surrounds, 12 foot for the center, 25 foot wires for the rear L/R surrounds, and wires for the subwoofer, which didn't cut it. I ended up buying a subwoofer cable (Monster 12') from Circuit City as well. I think I paid $35 for it.
    absence of existence is not existence of absense....just existence of nonsense amongst provincial obstinates
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    the mantis lady
    THATS A CLASSIC! HAHHAHAHHAHA! LMAO! LMAO! ROFL!!! LMAO!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • geekmedic
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by madrigal
    btw, your nick is very familiar....

Which message forum have you seen me on?

I frequent a lot of discussion forums.

By the way, I bought the bundle because I was too lazy to cut the wire and set it up. I wanted to use the speakers pronto.

I did spend some money on the component video cables... $90 each. I am very pleased with these.
  • madrigal
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn

THATS A CLASSIC! HAHHAHAHHAHA! LMAO! LMAO! ROFL!!! LMAO!

oh good, I got her right, then ;)

geekmedic: I dunno. just remember that nick somewhere. did you go to Mercer?
    once upon a time I played around on the various medschool forums, but then I realized how long it was going to take to pay off all those loans....dropped out and didn't look back (was shooting for cogni-neurosci....HAHA!).

yo-ho, yo-ho, a pirate's life for me
  • geekmedic
    edited February 2003
    Options
    geekmedic: I dunno. just remember that nick somewhere. did you go to Mercer?

I'm still at Mercer.

Who are you?
  • madrigal
    edited February 2003
    Options
    noone of consequence.....

but as much as I like a good segue, fellow trolls, we now return you to:

madrigal's efficacious speaker wiring
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options

but as much as I like a good segue, fellow trolls, we now return you to:

madrigal's efficacious speaker wiring

quite the vocabulary you have over there! I'm feeling like the idiot I am.;)

:lol::lol::lol:

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • geekmedic
    edited February 2003
    Options

Not fair at all, but anyhow...

Monster speaker cable is good, but you do pay for the name.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hello Polkers (1)
    In general I'm *cheep*cheep* (2)
    should I:
    1. Pick up a 250' spool of 12awg Woods from HD then price match @ Lowe's(3)

1. I thought we were Polkies. ;)
    2. WADR, I think you answered your own question.
    3. HD's price match policy will only save you an extra $4 or so, call each, but Lowe's should be cheaper, if they have a 250' spool get it there. If they don't, they'll give you a printed quote that you can take to HD.
    Key is, are you buying enough for Lowe's to consider you a contractor? If yes, their price will drop from ~$.35/ft to ~ $.21/ foot.... at least it did in my case.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madrigal
    edited February 2003
    Options
    1. heh, I originally said "polkies" but edited it since it seems that's the newbie classification around here...
    2. cool, but I'm still wondering about Monster's claims...especially if their special weave cancels interference (and if OFC will make a difference w/ oxidation over time...I don't want green **** peeping at me through the jackets in a couple years)
    3. is 500' enough to be a "universal" contractor? or did you just get lucky on your own visit to Lowe's? (yes, like you, I have a use for that much wire)

I'm also a lil' confused about length/thickness/interference....
    what's the maximum distance I can get with 12awg without noticeable signal loss?

thanks again
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    500' qualified me as a contractor. Even with out that discount Lowe's was still ~$25 cheaper + tax.

The HD/ Lowes Woods wire has a speical wind to it. About 6 twisted "clusters" then spiraled together. In my orginal run, still in place, I used true, 12 gauge lamp cord... no twisting, clusterring, no nothing. It did what it was supposed to do, i.e., got the amp output to the speakers.

As for Ox... spool I bought had clearly been on HD's shelf for a while and I see no signs of it... lotta dust, but no Ox...

The Wood's is a big step up for me, and a good stating place for you. Even those in the High-wire ranks who have posted in your thread agree you should start low, so go to it...

They'll try to convert you later... you sound like just the kind of mind they love to sink their little "low-O2 content, esoteric windings posts" into... ;)

A lot of the rest of us "wonder about Monster's claims", too...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Since I'm so PC ;) I think we should be called Polkpersons. If you buy that one, I've got a bridge you'll love.

IMHO, the Lowes wire is perfect for your system. When you get into seperates (mid-fi/hi-fi) then wire makes a difference.

F1nut
    Polkperson :lol:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• geekmedic
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    IMHO, the Lowes wire is perfect for your system. When you get into seperates (mid-fi/hi-fi) then wire makes a difference.

I doubt high grade wire is going to make a difference with your speakers. It just hit me that you're using small satellite speakers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited February 2003
    Options
    geekmedic,

Your comments are directed to madrigal, right? That's what I was trying to tell him/her, using high grade wire would be like pissing into the wind.....pointless.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I use HD wire - I will compare when Russ sends me that terminator??? wire -- that'll be when i get my new preamp...which will be soon! im 155 dollars away!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • gacole2000
    gacole2000 Posts: 255
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I was informed about some great wire (IXOS on closeout) for cheaper (.49) than the Monster XP. Check it out, call and talk w/ them, they're very helpful.

Greg

http://accessories4less.com/aless4/Corporate/itemdesc.asp?CartId=683-ACCWARE-1053UHORS814&ic=IXOS%2D6007P&cc=&tpc=
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V661
    DVD: Yamaha DV-C6480
    BR: Samsung 1600
    Mains: Polk RT55 (bi-amped)
    Center: CS300
    Sides: FX1000
    Rears: RT/FX
    Subs: SVS 20-39 PC+ 12.3 & DIY SVS 12.2
    Projector: Optoma HD70 w/ 106" Elite Screen
    Power: Panamax MAX 5100
    Remote: Harmony One
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Above link is to a dead end, expired cart. This one works...

http://accessories4less.com/aless4/Corporate/index.asp?CartId=10823-ACCWARE-614RPYHZ62

Edit: My apologies gacole, my link now doesn't work either... see Madrigals post below...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• madrigal
    edited February 2003
    Options
    ok, good. guess I'll go w/ Lowe's unless I see something else on clearance.

gacole2000, you might wanna read this @ audioreview on the 6003P gammas (the 13awg @ $0.99 a foot). one person lauds them while another rates them as a ripoff, seeing no difference between Congo Co. 12awg lampwire. There's also one review on the 15awg version.

do you know whether or not these cables come terminated with bananas?....if all I have to do is specify a length in the quantity field, I'll order from them ASAP.

btw, audiovisionsystems has the 6003P for seven cents less, plus a number of other IXOS interconnects @ half price. They also display the actual color of the jackets, which is a swanky purple (should be the same @ acs4less, but they depict black/red/white jackets)

EDIT: For anybody else who might be interested, acs4less's linking system works on an indivisual basis....click the "Speaker
    Wire & Pin" link on the left side of the page under "CATEGORIES." This is the 4th or 5th time I've seen ppl link to that site on this forum; the ones that "work" always drop to a page with Canton & Marantz receivers.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    Options
    i'm a big fan of IXOS interconnects.. less expensive than over hyped monster. and just as good. they are or were the only ones who made a 6 RCA to 6 RCA interconnect for my DVD-audio player.. monster and others don't that I can find. Yeah i could have used three (pairs) of interconnects.. but why? IXOS came thru.

for speaker runs.. i use Liberty High Def 14 guage wire.. looks identical to monster XP at about half the price.

liberty wire
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: