MMC6500 Tweeters Question

vlonjati
vlonjati Posts: 1
edited January 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi everyone, I am new here but have had Polk Audio speakers at home or in my car always.
I just replace my Focal 165 A1 components for the MMC6500. I am trying to find out the best way to set up my MMC6500.

Here are a few quick questions, how do you guys like your MMC6500 tweeters? In what setting have settled? 0, -3, -6db?

Also, do you find these tweeters to hiss a little when left at 0 and -3db? If you have replaced these tweeters with something else, what did you choose instead?

Thank you in advance.

Vlonjati
Post edited by vlonjati on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2009
    hi,

I have mine set at -6db. The tweeters become smoother once they have broken in and set at -6db.

If you listen to mp3 or burnt cd's you may hear a hiss, but that is more to do with the recording than the speaker.....I think. I listen to pre recorded cds and dont have the issue. it could also be a setup issue..

Rgds
    Arun
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2009
    Definitely set the crossover at -6 db. They blend much better that way.

Also, if you have them mounted higher than the mids as in the A pillars with the mids in the doors, try wiring the tweeters out of phase with the mids. A lot of times this will help make them work together better. This is a good trick if you dont have time alignment.

The hiss your hearing is likely noise from your system, not the tweeters.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • parasomia
    parasomia Posts: 41
    edited January 2009
    I believe I keep mine at -6. I need to check on that :) Was either -3 or -6. I changed them a few times for testing purposes!

Anyway, as was already said, the hissing could be from compressed audio or even your system. Maybe wiring too close to certain things? I know in my early setup with them, I would hear a hissing sound whenever I would hit the gas! All about placement I guess.

Just to assure you. These speakers will sound pretty Harsh with the high's until they are broken in. (At least keep it at -6 during this process so you don't get too discouraged and mess with it after to what you think sounds good). Mine annoyed me at first, but I kept at it. Now they sound beautiful! Foreplay/Long Time never sounded better ;)
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2009
    I would hear a hissing sound whenever I would hit the gas! All about placement I guess.

funny you should say that. I had mine emitting a whine when I stepped on the gas. Thankfully its gone away.
  • parasomia
    parasomia Posts: 41
    edited January 2009
    That is a much better word for it, a whine. I think I still get it sometimes, but mostly it has went away. It was my first real big car audio project so it wasn't nor is it - perfect.