A Little Confused, who knows the answer

eprater1
eprater1 Posts: 175
edited January 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok so im in the process of installing a new system in a truck of mine and need some info. I started looking into the active vs passive crossover argument and have decided that active is a far better way to go but would like to avoid having to use 2 amps if poss. Currently i have the memphis belle amp that runs 5 channels. 4x125 to the mids and 1x1100 to the sub. For mids i plan on going with the mm6501 and mm6901 and i have a new 2009 memphis mojo 12 dvc. I understand that with active you put the crossover before the amp but this confuses me. Crossovers do not have rca imputs so how can this work??? also i understand that with a 4 ch amp you can only run one component set ( 2 tweets and 2 mids) not all 4 speakers is this true or is their a way to run all the speakers with active crossovers and only my existing amp???? Hope this isnt too confusing and any imput is welcomed. also is all this just too much work to have active crossovers?? oh also for a head unit i have the new pioneer deh-p800prs and an old school audio control epicenter for the sub.
Post edited by eprater1 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2009
    The crossover goes in front of the amp. You run RCA's from the head unit to the crossover then from the crossover you run RCA's out to the amp. However if youre wanting to use only your 4 channel amp and run 4 sets of speakers, then you wont be able to use an active crossover. An active crossover requires a dedicated amp channel for each driver so youd need 8 amp channels for your 4 sets of speakers (4 tweeters + 4 mids).
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited January 2009
    eprater1 wrote: »
    Crossovers do not have rca imputs so how can this work??? also i understand that with a 4 ch amp you can only run one component set ( 2 tweets and 2 mids) not all 4 speakers is this true or is their a way to run all the speakers with active crossovers and only my existing amp????

Crossovers do have rca inputs, if you run a crossover before a 4ch amp you can run the high output of the crossover to two of the channels and the mid/bandpass to the other two channels of input to power two sets of components or if you want run the amp @ 2ohm and run four sets.(if u have 4ohm comps)

Crossovers all have different inputs, outputs and functions, you will have to research which one will work best for the setup you want to run.
  • eprater1
    edited January 2009
    Every crossover i have ever had included in my components only has 2 inputs and 4 outputs none of which were rca's. They had 1 pos and 1 neg input and 2 pos and 2 neg outputs for the mid and tweets. do any of the polk components come with crossovers that have rca's?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2009
    Every crossover i have ever had included in my components only has 2 inputs and 4 outputs none of which were rca's. They had 1 pos and 1 neg input and 2 pos and 2 neg outputs for the mid and tweets. do any of the polk components come with crossovers that have rca's?

You have two types of crossovers. Passive and active. The difference is active does its 'crossing over' before the amp, passive crossovers do their work after the amp.

Passive crossovers use speaker wire, active crossovers use RCAs.

Theres more to it, but thats the overly simplified version.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • eprater1
    edited January 2009
    ok so i made a trip to the local stereo shop and got a ton more info that i expected. i thought i was an audiophile, the guy i was talking to was way to techinal for me talkin bout more slopes, hertz, and other stuff than i really want to get into on here. i was trying to figure out if i needed an external eq over the one on the pioneer deh-p800prs ( 16 band) and to find out how much better off i would be with active crossovers. basically he told me that i really wouldnt notice much of a difference with the setup i had metiononed above and recomended just going passive but he did say active is better just not always worth it. anyone care to chime in on this and speak their opinion?
  • only126db
    edited January 2009
    Eq's and crossovers are two totally different things....

Crossovers cut frequencies so you apply frequencies appropriate for your drivers while eq's boost and cut the available frequencies in the bandwidth driving the speakers.

Which is it you want????

Why do you want it....???
  • eprater1
    edited January 2009
    i have looked at some audiocontrol units that say they are both crossover and eq. what i want to accomplish is a very clean realistic (good imaging)sound with alot of tuning ability depending on what im listing to at the moment. i may go from rage against the machine to a live recording of waylon and merle from like 1975 and play lil wayne the next song. i like to adjust constantly. my amp and head unit have pretty good eq and filters built in.
  • only126db
    edited January 2009
    In a daily driver if you get the settings correct you should not have to adjust per musical type.

I dont have any crossover besides what's in my amp and no equalizer besides bass, mid, treble attenuation on my deck, they are always set @ -3.

I listen to everything from Rebeca Pidgeon to Dimmu Borgir.

The only adjustment ever made is to my sub amps remote gain knob when I just want to demo bass without blasting my front stage.

Rebeca Pidgeon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmpVDeh1jf0

Dimmu Borgir
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9cqKafnUrk
  • eprater1
    edited January 2009
    not that this changes anything but the vehicle this is going in is actually just a weekend warrior/mud truck/trail rig/quad hauler. ive put like 500 miles on it in the last 2 months. my daily is a 2007 f250 with 140,000, thats right an 07 with 140,000. its a company truck that i practically live out of 3 days a week...stock baby!!!
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited January 2009
    only126db wrote: »

lol... o jesus
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • only126db
    edited January 2009
    lol... o jesus

Besides you probably not liking the music you should listen to a couple of their songs and see how well your system can articulate the changes between the different musical instruments.
  • eprater1
    edited January 2009
    lol they are weak, need to hire some actors if they are gonna try and go that dramatic route in a vid. not knockin ur music taste just that video. speed metal/black metal doesnt really do it for me personally. one of the best test for a quality system that i have found is concert piano music. not that i really likre that music either but a piano can produce such a range of sounds with varring intensitys...enigma isnt bad either for sound testing.
  • only126db
    edited January 2009
    lol they are weak, need to hire some actors if they are gonna try and go that dramatic route in a vid. not knockin ur music taste just that video. speed metal/black metal doesnt really do it for me personally. one of the best test for a quality system that i have found is concert piano music. not that i really likre that music either but a piano can produce such a range of sounds with varring intensitys...enigma isnt bad either for sound testing.

I honestly didnt even watch the video, I just clicked on the first one that popped up to link to...
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited January 2009
    only126db wrote: »
    I honestly didnt even watch the video, I just clicked on the first one that popped up to link to...

That probably wasn't really the best one to throw out for someone that's not familiar with that band. There's some...how should I say, rather un-Christian ideologies in that video.

Dimmu Borgir does kick **** though. I only listen to them like 3-4 times a year anymore, I used to a lot more when I was a pissed off teenager...I've got a couple of their CD's still though, talk about intense.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2009
    Yeah that was quite laughable. Im a diehard headbanger but that was just ridiculous.

Let me educate you young whippersnappers on what heavy metal is all about.

If youre going to have a front man - there is none better than a pissed off 6'5" Native American. Classic. Vintage. Testament.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E48UihPXujM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E48UihPXujM&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Not fast enough for ya? No problem - here is the same band 20 years later with Slayer's drummer, Dave Lombardo for some speed with surgical precision (also along with some cool footage from Underworld 2).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/udSe5GGWz04&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/udSe5GGWz04&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Want more precision mixed with some blues? Wrathchild America.

One of my favorites. Simple. Pissed off. Cant understand a word theyre saying. Nuclear Assault.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPjAxDBIoPs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPjAxDBIoPs&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eprater1
    edited January 2009
    Much better Mac, i havent listen to Testament in a long time, need to break out some of their old tapes i have. Not sure who may be familar with them but Entombed was also a great band back in the day (used to listen to them while lifting in HS) i know this has become a bit of a SQ thread and though thet may not seem it STP (stone temple pilots) is another great band to test ur system. they have a wide range of sounds/tones in their music.

OK... last shot before i pull the trigger this looks like the setup im going to run with passive crossovers in a 1995 Ford Bronco the Head Unit, and Components are still up for debate unless someone has a beter reco for near the same money SQ being the goal, i could care less if my head unit can play movies or give me directions or anser my phone or blow me while computing the gravitational pull of mars in 60 years.

1) HU- New Pioneer Deh-p800PRS ($150 brand new from amazon after $200 i have in gift cards)
    2) Amp- Already purchased Memphis Belle (Big belle not the baby)

3) Sub- New 2008 Model Memphis MOJO 12" 2OHM DVC (wired for 1 ohm so its getting 1100 RMS) -Got it for free from a trade out with the local stereo shop

4) Front and Rear Mids- Polk Mobile Monitor 6501 Components $199.00

I have already put in a 160amp alt so power should not be an issue. also i have 100sq ft of dynamat on the way to go in with the new carpet and jute padding (I also got the carpet, padding, and dynamat for free. i love my job where i get all the reward points for my company paid credit card and hotel stays.) Total out of pocket it looks like i will have less than $600 in the whole sterep set up. Any recos im all ears but want to keep it in this price range since im saving up for an engine build and frame off paint job.

FYI:
    The truck is a project i started back in December that i really dont ever drive much but want to make like new. Instead of buying a new truck for 30,000 i decided to restore a 1995 Eddie B. Bronco. So far the truck has a 6" suspension lift, 35" tires and wheels (got all 3 of these for 1150 new after some ebay and craigslist dealing). interior is almost perfect but want to freshen up the carpet, leather was redone before i got it. i have a comerical sand blaster so hopefully this fall im gonna pull the body and shoot/paint the frame while replumbing the entire truck with all stainless parts. Me and a few buds will also do the paint (back to stock, just new looking with no orange peel look to it after a good wet sanding or 2 and a few coats of clear.) For the engine it will either get stroked and blown (kenny bell supercharger) or preferably go to a 7.3 diesel. Total i hope to have less than 10,000 out of pocket including the truck itself that i got for 1400. the guy thought the engine was bad but the timing was just way off by 7 degrees and needed some plugs and wires. I also already have all the weather stripping, headlights, tail lights, new power mirrors, factory chrome grill, and brush guard that i also got for free from Amazon with Holiday Inn points. The driveline will be the "overlooked" area as that im not going to a striaght axle or larger one out back nor will i dig into the transmission until i have problems out of it, however the front will get upgraded calipers/disc and all new balljoints and tie rods. Also new bearings have been placed in both the front and rear axles already.
  • TheOtherSide
    TheOtherSide Posts: 11
    edited January 2009
    Wow, that Testament brought back memories. Nice.
    Someone once told me that if I didn't turn my music down I'd be deaf by the time I was 30. Well I'll be 30 soon and I can still hear just fine.