Breaking-in; installation or tuning issues?

CarSoundDude
CarSoundDude Posts: 27
edited January 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have read a lot of posts that mention the break-in period needed before the SR speakers start to sound their best.

My first question is:
What exactly is happening to the speakers during the break-in period?

Next:
Will the speakers' characteristics change drastically as they become broken in?
( Especially in regards to the optimal speaker placement and orientations or tuning settings possibly needing to be altered )
Post edited by CarSoundDude on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2009
    Speakers are mechanical devices and as such need to break in just like your car's engine does. I dont believe they need a long period but IMO about a week of normal listening should be just right.

The biggest characteristic that will change is the low frequency response. I figure its because the speaker can move better once broken in and so its easier to move the amount of air necessary to reproduce the lower stuff.

NOTE - I drive a beer truck for a living so I aint exactly an engineer so "grain of salt" and all that cause I could be totally talking out of my ****.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • CarSoundDude
    edited January 2009
    Speaking of tuning...I have been searching for an appropriate equalizer for my system.

-I have (ordered from crutchfield and in the mail) a set of SR5250's and an SR124DVC.
    -My head unit has six 8V outs , whose crossover frequencies can be adjusted internally.

-I will run the 5250s with a 4 channel amp(Sub will be driven by a separate amp)
    -In order to have as much control as possible over the sound from each of the Polk SR5250 drivers, I currently believe that AudioControl's DXS, six channel equalizer, is the best choice to match with my HU, an Eclipse CD7200mkII. If there are good alternatives in this price range, I am interested in hearing about them.
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2009
    The Audiocontrol is going to be your best choice.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dirthog
    dirthog Posts: 124
    edited January 2009
    Mac I think you're right. Just like when the weather is colder the mid bass will start to suffer, stiffer surround.
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited January 2009
    would u b running 3-way on hu? if so it has 3 channels(high, mid, low) w/ 5 bands for each. between 7200 and some nice flexible amps, can't imagine another tweaking device. just can't imagine. i know i got my hands full w/ them 2. price on audiocontrol?
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • CarSoundDude
    edited January 2009
    Yes, i would be running "3 way", since the HU has 6 channels o/p and the DQS has 6 i/p. On one hand you are so right...the amount of tweaking available from the HU is very nice and a lot to handle.
    On the other hand... 30 bands of equalization per channel... I think the option of having more things to play with makes getting the whole setup a lot more fun. (Who doesn't wanna spend time playing with their new toys ;) ? ) I'll probably learn a lot doing all that tweaking myself.

I got the EQ for 499 from an authorized dealer ( i know there are cheaper deals out there ).. for another 200 or so, can add a mountable remote to the eq also, which might be nice to get someday, but wasn't a priority.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited January 2009
    whatcha mean by o/p, i/p. i absolutely can't stomach tuning my system/. i have been evry day for the past 10 years. while as we speak my system never sounded better and i plan on better sound 2day, i just want to mount my amp and never touch it again , i just want the right sound which is the whole reason i got intothis crazy **** business...
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • CarSoundDude
    edited January 2009
    Silly me, sometimes I make too many assumptions and abbreviations...and y'all know what happens then...i/p = input, o/p = output.

I got my shipment from UPS with all of my toys yesterday!!!!

I chose to stick with the brand and got all Polk stuff, with the exception of the head unit and EQ.(mostly i get a bigger warm fuzzy working with authorized dealers since some online things can be sketchy)

So the final setup will be:
    Eclipse CD7200MKII Head Unit (Six channels o/p, crossover, timing,8V outs, etc)

SR5250s (went with them because of mounting considerations in my g35, crutchfield said 6500s wouldnt fit, plus there was a 300dollar off sale, which always helps, lol)

SR124DVC (its just cool...and heavy;) )

PA 500.4 ( i really wasnt sure which was better the 500.4 or 400.4 for my application, but i went with the 500.4 because i wanted the 2 amps to match...silly, i know)

PA1200.1(that SR sub needs lots of juice)

AudioControl DQS(six insependent 30 band graphic EQs)((This plus my HU came to 800, which was less expensive than some possibly better all digital pairs with optical connections...but that's gonna be a lot of RCA's running around)

I spent the week before the stuff arrived installing SecondSkin DapmplifierPro and Overkill.
    (double layer of DampPro in the doors, trunk, floor, firewall, plus a spare 20sq ft for use after the install,Double layer of Overkill over the top of the DamplifierPro everywhere)
    I am sure the SR124DVC will tell me where more is needed;)

(Thanks to my friend Cody for letting me use his garage!)
  • cadenceclipse
    edited January 2009
    nice toys dude! whats the fifth channel for? spare?

"all digital pairs w/ optical connections"- u'r talking bout eq?

that sure is lot of dampening, how's electrical system dude?
  • CarSoundDude
    edited January 2009
    By all digital...i mean like an external sound processor designed to work with a specific head unit, which utilize an optical connection prior to the output of the eq/processor. I am not sure, but i think alpine might make ones that connect in this way. Electrical system is a concern at the moment.. gonna need at least a cap, i think..not sure what else...probably an upgraded battery...my current alternator should be good.
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2009
    Outstanding! Get all that stuff plugged in and youll be ready for competition! We can be Team Polk!

• CarSoundDude
    edited January 2009
    Plugged in...nothing i read mentioned i had to plug it in!!! hehe.

"Team Polk" has a nice ring to it, hehe. Though I have to admit that I still know almost nothing compared a lot of y'all. Learning about it gives me something to do tho while i waste my time here at college in Gainesville.
  • cadenceclipse
    edited January 2009
    big 3
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2009
    MECA has an Amateur class set up for rookies. Youd be competing against others just like you.