speaker wire (what the _uck)

Options
larrykwiat
larrykwiat Posts: 44
I have a question for you guys. Obviously, speaker wire makes a difference on high end systems. I have a rm6200 satelite set with a psw-303 subwoffer. Total price paid was $450 dollars new. I am looking for speaker wire and need about 120 feet of the stuff. Most of my speaker connections other that my Yamaha htr-5560 are spring clips. My Yamaha has the screw type connectors.

What should I do in regards to getting speaker wire?

what guage? (the longest run is like 35 feet)

what brand? (monsterxp, radioshack)

what connectors? (if any)

Thanks in advance please provide complete solutions on what you would do....
Post edited by larrykwiat on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Home Depot or Lowe's "Woods" High Performance Speaker Wire - Made in the USA. 250 feet for $32 - 14 gauge or $52 12 gauge. For that rig all the quality you will ever need.

I love the banana plugs for convenience, not for sound quality. A speaker termination will help prevent corrosion though.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    With the exception of lamp cord, I never ran into this problem of corrosion....

12 gauge is good, in fact it may be a bit too thick.. 14 should do perfectly for that rig.

I meant oxidation. Any copper will oxidize and turn green over time if exposed to the air long enough. Probably not a big deal, though, I agree.

Ditto on the 14 gauge - I use it all around for bi-wire on the front stage. Although I will be using 12 gauge on the f/x1000's since I'm not bi-wiring them and I've got a long run for one speak.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Ditto the above, but for a 30+ foot run I’d go 12 gauge, if terminations can accept it.

Here’s link to Lowes vs. HD experience I recently had. May help…

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7535
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • larrykwiat
    edited February 2003
    Options
    thanks for all your opinions. i think i get the idea. dont need to spend an arm and a leg for my setup. it looks like the 14gauge will do as my longest run is about 30 feet. i am going to try the woods from home depot. you guys know your stuff. thanks. it was hard for me to put everything into perspective being i have an entry level system. i would love to own something better but money can only go so far... thanks again
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by larrykwiat
    I have a question for you guys. Obviously, speaker wire makes a difference on high end systems. ....

PS Larry - Many of us do not think the above is true, but may consider more expensive options for component interconnects worthwhile. "Hi-wire" appications when the voltages are considerably lower can logically make a significant difference.

In the case of speaker wire, the logic isn't there, and numerous double blind studies have documented that the difference, if any, cannot be heard. You can find any number of "debates" on this in the Club. My bottom line, if you pay enough you'll hear a difference; you'd feel stupid if you didn't.

Missed your termination question earlier. I have never tried anything except bare wire myself. Cut an extra few inches into each of your initial runs, and should you ever see oxidation is occurring you can just trim the ends off... wha-la... fresh wire... Adding any terminator just adds another connection to the signal path.

Your receivers spring connects are your weak link.

One other aside, in the relatively long runs you are planning avoid:
    - AC power lines, altogether, if you can, but paralleling them for any length of run is especially to be avoided as the AC's associated magnetic field can induce a current in your speaker wire (even if it's MC).
    - Coiling any “excess” speaker run – DC current in a wire coil also induces a field. You may end up with excess if you keep all wire runs the same length, which I do for associated pairs in HT. Essential, probably not, but with Lowes wire it’s a cheap pre-caution, so why not?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • larrykwiat
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks again guys. For the rm6200/pws303 setup. I went to home depot and got 12 guage wire for the center speaker and the connection to the sub(I could not believe how thick that stuff is, be careful it is hard to hide). I then wired everything else up with the 14 guage from home depot. I do not know if the speaker wire made a difference but I can tell you the sound is very clear and my house is shakin....I was very impressed with this speaker setup. I paid 250 for the rm6200 and 200 for the psw303. For four hundred and fifty dollars this combo with my 320 dollar yamaha htr-5560 is a definite value play. I would highly recommend it to someone in the entry level home theater category. thanks again.
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    ATC,
    Do I denote a hint of sarcasm there?

I'll give the "High-Wire" folk their due credit for not swooping in on larry and this thread.

Maybe we can all take a lesson from their behavior in this instance... maybe we can "all just get along"... maybe peaceful co-existence is possible between the MC devotees and we “Woodsies”…………. :confused:

NAAAAAAAAAAH….. ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I was raised on the belief that the cheaper the wire the more tin or other junk they used in it. I got a deal at RS on the 12ga wire which is ofc copper, I thought ofc was the way to go! 12ga is a pain to use & hide it also.
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    i get one of the last words.......

******HD WIRE...........RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*****
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Tour....WTF IS PC? eh?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Heeeeee's Baaaaaaaack.........

Poll - lit - tac - lee .... Correctamundo lil' bud...

You skippin' Social Studies or is it more like "zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited February 2003
    Options
    radio shack 12g wire is not bad at all, go look and see, i would not cheap out on interconnects, get the better ones.

i can tell the differance in interconnects, than i can from differant speaker wires.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    Options
    just look for a oxygen free cabble so it wont crode. what that means is the cabble has no oxygen inbetween it and the sheath. the mulit strand cabble has a greater croushon that a solid core wire. if you spend 20 or thirty bucks for some starter wire that will be good but you should look into some mid level wire. over time you will notice a differance.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    what that means is the cabble has no oxygen inbetween it and the sheath.

actually oxygen free copper is just that... oxygen free or "almost" free thus a reduction in the rate of oxidation. The smelting process is done in an oxygen free environment.

The insulation prevents arcing across the +/- but also does **** the oxidation rate because it seals the wire.

Hope this helps.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***