Sound difference when putting back seat down??

starkiller
starkiller Posts: 2,723
edited January 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
have a subaru legacy station wagon and was wondering if there will/would be any sound difference if i kept the back seat down.

thanks!
Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
Post edited by starkiller on

Comments

• rallyshark
    rallyshark Posts: 417
    edited January 2009
    I would say very little since it is a station wagon:)
    Sony 40" LCD
    Sony DVPCX995V
    Sony PS3(games/media server)
    Sony PS2
    WD TV Live with 3TB
    Sanyo VCR
    Marantz SR6003
    Polk 11T(xover/RDO)
    RM20 5 pack
    OWM 5
    DUAL Micro Pro 1000
    Combastard Cable
    Harmony One
    When rapture comes, can I have your car?
  • starkiller
    edited January 2009
    was just wondering about the boncing of the waves to the hatch and then back. w/o the seat there i didnt know how the waves would respond.
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • TouchOfEvil
    TouchOfEvil Posts: 967
    edited January 2009
    Here's a noval idea. Try it out instead of asking if it will make a differance to YOUR ears.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • starkiller
    edited January 2009
    only problem with that is trying to remember what it sounds like with the seat up, then running around, put seat down, and play the tune again and see if you hear a difference :)
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited January 2009
    sounds a whole lot easier than tuning amps mounted in that area. boy do i wish that was my sound dilema, hmm up, or down. try it a few times. if u have really nice friends u can ask a them 2 close it 4 u. teamwork!
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited January 2009
    a wagon should give u better sound. and it will be best with the seat up.. longest path lenght for the low notes.

place sub in box facing the tailgate. as close to it as acoustically possible. that way, the phase difference between the incident and reflected waves would be the smallest.. hence, less destructive interference.

faced up as far back is prob 2nd best. forward facing against the seat is worst. that's why it would sound better with the seat down.
  • tk421
    edited January 2009
    tk421 wrote: »
    forward facing against the seat is worst. that's why it would sound better with the seat down.

explanation... with the sub faced forward into the seat, the sound waves travel from the front of the speaker tru the seat ... and they also travel from the speaker to the back of the car, bounce back and go to the front of the car.

so u get 2 waves.. phase diff.. etc.

if the seat is dropped, then u get more air being pushed from the speaker into the listening area. so this is the reason for better sound with the seat down when the sub is faced into it.

links.. *i searched real hard* .. i read them in the past but nvr bookmarked.

http://www.caraudiobook.com/car_audio_cabin_gain/car_audio_cabin_gain.htm

cant' find the better one :-(
  • dirthog
    dirthog Posts: 124
    edited January 2009
    That's why it's almost always better to face the sub to the rear.
    http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/aiming.htm

With the seat down it might be better but it will definitely be different. Are you going to drive around with the seat down all of the time? If not then I would tune with the seat up and turn the sub around to face the rear.
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
  • starkiller
    edited January 2009
    yeah, am thinking about having the seat down all the time. seems like i am always picking up stuff and never having passengers in the rear.
  • dfranks
    dfranks Posts: 207
    edited January 2009
    Naw, it sounds the same, I have been threatened with divorce over it though..... Oh hold on, I thought you said "putting seat back down". My bad:o
  • tk421
    edited January 2009
    dirthog wrote: »
    That's why it's almost always better to face the sub to the rear.
    http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/aiming.htm

^^ that's the link thats' the link!!!!
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited January 2009
    The best way to find out would be to try it. All cars are pretty unique listening environments. No one can really tell you for sure if it's going to sound better either way. Try it out.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's