what do you think of HTiB?

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Seen that little Sony system? What do you think about it? I'd be interested in some opinions.

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2001
    Seen that little Sony system?
    Nope.
    What do you think about it?
    Nothing, haven't seen it.
    I'd be interested in some opinions.
    Don't have any. Haven't seen it, so I have no thoughts on it, therefore I have no opinions.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Which sony? The davs300 is more like a minisytem in the way that it's crappy and you can't reasonably replace any parts.

The htddw830 is also bad but you can at least upgrade the pieces individually until you have a descent system.

The ht5100d is the only one I would let a family member buy because it's ok for a second or third home theater systems.

Onkyo however, they have a descent htib system. the envision theater is nice. The thing I like the best is how it's an instant bose lifestyle system competitor even at less than half the price.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Blah! Eek! Yuk!

R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited July 2001
    But what about for the person -- your friend, your aunt, your parents -- who want the home theater thing, but do not want to deal with separates, buying and setting up all this electronic stuff?

I'm talking about the Sony DAVS300, the "dream machine" or whatever it's called. It's a little DD/DTS DVD player/tuner with five speakers and a sub module:

http://www.800.com/prod.asp?p=3286

Forget that you are into electronics and systems and stuff. Think about your non-hobbiest friends and neighbors, Joe Six Pack.

Would you recommend something like this? Another brand?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2001
    MC,
    Man, get a grip on yourself, it sounds like you are plugging for Bose.
    Not having heard it I can't comment on the quality, however, that is one of the selling points of a Bose system is that it is a no-brainer. Personally, and I say this because I am not an electronics kind of guy, how hard is it to hook up a modest HT rig? If I can do it with minimal knowledge of electronics than anyone can.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited July 2001
    The average joe will walk into a CC or Best Buy and go for the complete package with little regard for the actual sound quality. That's what makes the cheaper priced complete systems from Sony and Bose look more attractive. WOW, I get everything for this price!!! WOWIE ZOWIE WOWIE!!! The Sony and Bose systems don't sound worth a damn though, but hey, they have everything they need. The Polk systems have a fuller more complete and accurate sound, but also cost a bit more. They also don't include all the electronics.

Yes, there is a market for all in one systems. It's up to the salesman and store to present the goods properly and to inform the customer as to what they're getting for that price. If you want quality, then you have to pay a bit more.

Some are willing to pay more for the quality and some are not. That's why we buy Polk and the others buy Bose.

EHHH GADS, I said the B word twice. BARF!!!
    No excuses!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Other possiblilites....the Panasonic SCHT80 is about the same, features and pricewise, and most of the HTIB don't offer the dvd player, built in.

The Yamaha YHT-24 actually puts a rec/dvd player/ 5 speaker + powered sub package together for you, and at least here, you have the Yam high-current power....

Other pluses on the Yam:

dips down to 30Hz - most others bottom at 45Hz
    80 watts x5 - most others 20-35
    2-way satellite speakers - most others pull the ole' full range
    $599 price tag, fully upgradeable in the future.....

Thats the system I would choose or recommend, for HTIB, say, for my mother, or aunt or whoever isn't as 'critcal' as I am.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2001
    Seen that little Sony system? What do you think about it?

My friend at school (and next door neighbor) has this system. I think it sucks major balls in the sound quality department. It actually produces more bass than I expected, but it's muddy and has no depth. And those satellites...ugh! They're awful. The DVD player/receiver is very aesthetically pleasing, as is the remote. Anywho, that's my take.

Aaron
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited July 2001
    I read a review on that system in sound n Vision mag... they gave it a pretty good rating ....but have to consider its more for an office or small bed room design! He had it set up in his hotel room while traveling...

I too agree on the onkyo box set.. for 999 it sounded pretty good and the sub was nice also that came with it... made the bose sound even worse than they already do!:rolleyes:
  • jeffeb3
    edited July 2001
    When someone wants to look at this type of system, I don't actually tell them it sucks. That would be bad. This is how it goes:

joe six pack: "you get all this for 484?"

Me: "yep"

that's about all I say. When they hear it, they comment on the sound quality or they don't either way.

about the sound quality, I've had customer not even hear the system and want to buy it. I have to say, "do you want to hear it?" but there are customers who wont.

I think also the pan. scht70 doesn't have dts. That's one thing I'm sure to point out to customers.
  • jeffeb3
    edited July 2001
    more about the systems. If joe six pack wants a cheap setup, I try to go with something they can upgrade at least. Just incase they are an audio hobbyist waiting to come out of there shell. like the sony htddw830 for 384.99 w/o dvd.