Format War

Options
dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited February 2003 in Music & Movies
In your opinion, who's winning the sacd / dvd-a format war?

I'm not sure which way to go, never heard either and read some rave reviews of both.
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I am a fan of DVD-A. Videos - on time lyrics - pic - bios - links - mutiple formats - DD - DTS - stereo - can play on any dvd player.
    No brainer to me.
  • dcarlson
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I like the SACD hybid idea. I could play them in my car as a CD. The Stones remasters I think is a big plus too.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Wait it out. This year will bring more dvd players that will play both formats.

It'll be a format choice rather than a format war.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • flason
    flason Posts: 278
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I heard it was more like a format pissing contest. Sony said they wouldn't put DVD-A on their players and the players on the other side like Panasonic said "NO" to SACD. The real winners right now are Pioneer with a $500 hybrid, Yamaha and Onkyo. Once Sony see's how much cash they are loosing, they will come around. Look at how much cash Sony lost with betamax. They won't do that again, maybe?
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I like dvd-a more. I also think the SACD hybrid thing will become less of an issue as more and more people do the mobile video thing.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm in the SACD hybrid camp.

What is the mobile video thing and what's it got to do with audio???
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    DVD-A im guessing is audio and video put into one thing so u can see the singer on ur screen? right? Well personally I like to sit in the dark and just listen. I can see the singers in concert. So I guess im with SACD
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sid,
    DVD-A discs can carry a video signal as well as an audio track, but I think this thread is more along the lines of audio preferences. Don't knock DVD-A untill you've given it a chance, the format is pretty sweet.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'd still like to know what the mobile video thing is.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    DVD-A more or less gives you an option.
    DITO - on what Frank said.
    "Mobile video thing" -been a little out of the game lately -F1nut
    They started putting LCD screens in "automobiles" now - even factory vans its common.
    Head Units DVD with pop out screens - 5.1 mobile sound my man.
    If I was still into car audio and had the $ to waste - I would be bumping to music/video DVD/DVDA's in my ride.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks Scott.

Actually, I have been aware of video screens in vehicles. I just wasn't sure that's what he meant. It is something I take a very dim view on, just one more thing to distract a driver from doing the only thing they should be doing...DRIVING!

President of Club Polk

• scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    F1 - I agree but the driver is not suppose to be watching it. If I were traveling alot then it would be great for passengers.
    The point Frank was making in the discussion was that you could listen to DVDA's in the car and not just SACD.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Scott,

Yeah, I agree it's good for the passengers, but when the screen is in the front it's bound to catch the drivers eye. Anyway, I don't mean to start a war here. Frank's and your point is well taken, audio choice is a good thing.

President of Club Polk

• dcarlson
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm going to a local audio boutique to see if they can demo at least SACD and hopefully DVD-A today. Unfortunately, there's not much choice in my city, reputable 2 or 3 HiFi stores.

I'm not sure if want to wait and see who wins the war. I might take a gamble.

I read Dark Side of the Moon is coming out on SACD.

• jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Both are ok. DTS is very good. But Home Theater is where it is at for me. Hum I wonder if I should sell my SRS's for a down payment on a plasma or a sony grand vega lcd system?
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I wasnt dissing DVD-A, I was stating I dont like to see the artist sing. I just want to hear the sound.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Well, it looks like I'm not going that route. Gonna save up and get either a NAD or Rotel CD Player instead.

I think it's a much better investment for my CD collection.

• F1nut
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Just a quick check at MusicDirect lists 240 DVD-A titles and 623 SACD titles.

President of Club Polk