DAC opinions

Options
caseymou
caseymou Posts: 327
edited January 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I have considered a D to A converter for my 2 channel system but I would like some advice as to whether it would be a waste. System as follows:

Adcom GTP400 pre
Adcom GFA545 II amp
Parasound cd/x-88 player/transport
12 ga. phoenix gold wire w/ nxg bananas
RCA brand shielded rca cables
Ohm Walsh II's
SDA 2B's in veneered cabs

What do you think of audio alchemy dac's? I think I can pick one up for under $100.
Post edited by caseymou on

Comments

• tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I use an MSB Link DAC III with 24/132 upsampling from my Rotel RCD 951 (has HDCD). The Rotel is only used as a transport. The upsampling sounds better than the HDCD. Fuller, better microdynamics and no harshness at the top end. Use a quality digital cable. I'm using a Canare digital coaxial cable.

2 channel setup:
    Anthem PRE 2L tube preamp
    Parasound HCA 1500A amp
    Magnepan MG12 (rebuilt xovers)
    Sony DVP-NS500P SACD player
    DH Labs Air Matrix I/C (source connections)
    Harmonic Technology Pro Silway MkII (preamp to amp)
    XLO Ultra 6 speaker cables
  • caseymou
    edited January 2003
    Options
    tony,

Have you ever done an a b comparison using the 951 cd player's internal dac versus the msb?

I just don't know if my gear is up to par so that a dac will make a difference. In other words, is it money well spent?

Chuck
    "2 channel on a budget"
  • tonyv1
    edited January 2003
    Options
    caseymou,
    I A/B my reference CDs and then some HDCDs against the DAC. The DAC sounded better than the redbook CDs thru the Rotel, but not better than the HDCDs. BUT, when I installed the 24/132 upsampling the DAC beat out the HDCDs. A/B setup was simple. Separate inputs to the preamp from DAC and CDP, I just then switched inputs. Fortunely I got the MSB Link DAC III for $269 (instead of $499) so later I bought the upsampler for $179. I also wired my DAC so I could A/B 24/96 vs. 24/132 via a switch on the DAC.
    Definitely worth the expense.
  • caseymou
    edited January 2003
    Options
    tony,

What do you think of your magnepans? I would like to learn more about them.
  • tonyv1
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Best thing since sliced bread!
    Highly tweakable.
    I started with the MMG. Have the MG12, which I justed rewired with OFC teflon wire and replaced the caps (with Solen). Replaced the funky binding posts with Cardas CCBP posts. I'll be rebuilding my best friend's MG1C xovers.
    Checkout the MUG (Maggie Users Group) for tonnage of info. I usually live there.
    http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/