Finally! - substantial audio upgrade for the Jeep!

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited January 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well, it's finally come, folks. I've been rocking this awesome HU and amp, along with a set of ok components for so long now. I've been wanting to add a sub and sub amp along with a nicer set of components (as well as getting my HU fixed). Well, finally, I've got myself a great upgrade for the Jeep! :D

I know, it was a long time in coming, but good things come to those who wait, right? :D

Here are some pictures of the old setup to refresh your memory.

Under the hood:
IMG_1017.jpg

Head unit:
IMG_1006.jpg

Under driver's seat:
IMG_1010.jpg

Now for the new pictures!

Under the hood:
IMG_0157.jpg

Head unit:
IMG_0160.jpg

Under the driver's seat:
IMG_0158.jpg

Boy, I can't tell you how great this Phase Linear radio sounds! It's old school! It's got an analog tuner in it! Man, this thing take me back - to a time before I was born! :p:D

Ok, so I guess you're wondering what in the world's going on. Well, here's a picture to let you know:
22bfdeb4.jpg

That's a picture I pulled of the web, but I'm 'upgrading' to a 2005 Mazda3 hatch with just under 52,000 miles on it. Yes, it's time to tell the Jeep goodbye. I can't tell you how badly I'm going to miss the Jeep, but it seems like this is a smart decision. Dad bought the Mazda3 for a great deal with plans for it to replace the Jeep, Mom's van, or to flip it for a little profit. Mom didn't want it, and I really really hate to let go of the Jeep, but it'd be foolish of me to hold on to my 14 year old vehicle when I could instead move to a 4 year old vehicle that would actually be more practical (and a lot better on gas!).

The radio in it doesn't sound too bad, and I certainly don't have any money to upgrade the stereo in it, but I might start considering that at some point in the future.

Just thought I'd share the change!
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• jiaan13
    jiaan13 Posts: 18
    edited January 2009
    I thought you were serious about that Phase Linear. Started to scare me for a sec there... Where did you find that thing anyways?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2009
    I was visiting a friend over new year's when I finally made my decision to get rid of the Jeep and take the Mazda - man that was a hard decision. Anyways, he and his family hold on to a lot of things in case they ever need it again, and they had about three old head units just laying around. They gave me the Phase Linear as well as a set of old stock speakers out of a BMW to put in the Jeep before selling it.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2009
    Frickin' kids. Don't know nothin'.

A quick little bit about Phase Linear from Wikipedia.
    "Phase Linear was an audio equipment manufacturer founded by Bob Carver in 1970. While primarily known as a power amplifier company it also produced several innovative preamplifers, tuners and the Andromeda loudspeaker.

Its first location was a small building at 405 Howell Way in Edmonds, Washington. The first amplifier produced was the Phase Linear 700. With 350 watts per channel it soon became the standard amplifier used in recording studios, sound reinforcement companies, professional musicians and audiophiles. It had a retail price of $749.00, or a little more than a dollar a watt. The design was notable for its brushed aluminum front panel and large dual VU meters. The next product was the Phase Linear 4000 Series Auto-correlation Pre-Amplifier introduced in 1973 and manufactured through 1978. It retailed for $700.00 at the end of its life. It was a design collaboration by Bob Carver and Bill Skinner. The second amplifier released was the Phase Linear 400 with 200 watts per channel. It shared the same distinctive brushed aluminum, dual VU meters front panel style as the 700. It retailed for just under $500[1].

The company was known for the most powerful audio amplifiers of the era led by the Phase Linear D-500 introduced in 1978. It was a stereo power amplifier delivering 505 watts of clean (typically < 0.1% total harmonic distortion over 20 Hz–20 kHz) RMS power per channel. It had a retail price of $1395.

The company would later be bought by Pioneer Electronics and Bob Carver would go on to found Carver Corporation in 1979. Pioneer added a high end cassette-tape deck designed in house and CD players designed by Kyocera to the Phase Linear line. But by that time the company was in decline due to the increasing cost of research and development, and the departure of founder Carver. In the 1980s Phase Linear was sold by Pioneer to Recoton and is currently only producing car audio equipment. Bob Carver later switched from Carver to Sunfire taking the design and the price-tags with him.

There continues to be a loyal following of some of the older products. Many electronic parts are still available for repairs. Mechanical parts such as switches, meters and hardware are scarce."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_Linear

Yeah, it's pretty much cheap junk now from Recoton. Don't know who is actually building it now or who even owns the Recoton name 'cause Recoton went bankrupt a few years ago. About the same time Radio Shack 86'ed the Realistic line of products, a good chunk of which were built by Recoton for Radio Shack to sell under the Realistic brand. Things like TV antennas, various adapters and switch boxes an even some speakers.

But Phase Linear is pretty coveted stuff from the 70's. Just because the name is owned by a CF of a Taiwanese Conglomerate doesn't mean it's all junk.

As far as where to find it, any place that sells Audiovox products likely has a "Phase Linear by Jensen" product somewhere on the shelves.

Actually, it looks like Audiovox bought Recoton. But Phase Linear was acquired by Jensen at some point, not really sure when though. Audiovox bought Jensen and acquired the Phase Linear name. Audiovox seems to have sucked up alot of the old timers. Advent, AR, Phase Linear and Jensen are all pivotal names in audio. Hell, Jensen was founded by Peter Jensen back in 1915 when he literally invented the first loud speaker. Shame it's just a shell of it's former historical glory.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!