Luxman R-113 Review

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Circa 1993 give or take, 35 wrms/ch integrated receiver. Other models in the line, R-115 (50 wrms/ch), R-117(70 wrms/ch).

WOW. If your needs call for an audiophile-grade stereo receiver, PICK ONE UP!!!!

They had THIS???? in 93????

After opening the well-packed double-box from Tony Rome, my initial impressions are as follows:

1. Black, all black finish, nice, clean, well laid out.

2. HUGE binding posts for 4-speaker hookup. Takes anything, bananas, spades, bare wire....name it, it'll handle it.

3. Transformer the size of my fist along with monster heat sinks.

Features to take note of. (Outside of the usual bells & whistles):

1. 2 tape monitors.

2. Subsonic filter.

3. Pre-in/outs for system flexibility/upgrades.

4. Switchable impedance.

5. CD Direct function (not sure what this is yet, but its gotta be cool)

Listening evaluation:

Other equipment used:

AMC CD8B DAC CD Player, Audioquest Sidewinder Interconnects, 10 awg lamp cord spade terminated, Polk R10 and B&W 303 speakers. (Entry level bookshelves from the US and GB) Sanus 24" Basic Foundations stands. 12'x12' room, acoustically treated on all walls/ceiling.

Granted, I have had a couple, uh six packs, but here goes. Talk about flat, if I wasn't schnockered, I would swear I was listening to separates. Is that BASS I hear??? Low, I mean LOW end extension from small bookshelves??? (everything FLAT on the rec. - no loudness, nothing....)

This thing brings back memories of the way receivers USED to be built. Thoughts of Marantz 22xx series, or the mid 80's NAD power envelope series.....

Listening to everything from Alice In Chains to Vivaldi, this unit came through, and with flying colors. I do notice a slight, ever so slight, coloration in the upper mid-range on some vocals and horns, but if it is truly there, it makes it only sound better. This is hard to tell, I will do some more listening with Thiel .5's this weekend (about the absolute flattest speaker I have access to). Anyone familiar with B&W will recognize this 'tilt' in the upper mids.....

The R10's sound TOTALLY different compared to both my Onkyo SV-454 and Yamaha RX-V390. I am talking night and day here brothas. Everything seems so much fuller, or richer, if you will. Once again, are my ears deceiving me? Is this really a RECEIVER?????

All I can say, if you find one, GET IT. I could not be more pleased. This is a unit that once you get a demo from, you want to go home and sell your gear to get one....(comparable gear that is).

Props to Mr. Grand for once again providing unprecedented value for a fellow in need. My hat is off to you sir.

Cheers,
Russ

PS. For the record, 'made in Japan'
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2001
    The CD direct function bypasses tone controls and all the other pre-amp functions except for volume control.

Yes they had that in 1993. Actually, my daughter had it in '93. At 8 yrs old, I don't think she appreciated it's qualities as you do today. Can you imagine what the more powerful ones will do?

I take it you are happy with this transaction? Put your hat back on. I told you I thought I got the better of the deal when we traded your KLH 17's for my Polk M-3's. I wanted to set it straight. There you are.

George Tony (of the Jersey Rome's)

Nice to make someone happy. Seems like I'm going to get beat up someplace else on this Forum though, although I am hard pressed to see why. Somebody's imagination running away with them again. Oh well, "You can't make EVERYBODY happy".
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    I concur, George is the MAN. Wendi says so. She also says that she will deal sternly with anyone who mistreats Senor Grande.

That sounds like a very cool reciever...I too, am fond of the Marantz 22 series (courtesy of George). The other day I stopped in to the only decent hifi shop in town. He is pretty much a big believer in Marantz power. He has a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 60's hooked up to a pair of Marantz mono blocks. VERY cool.

Good on ya Russ!

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • eugenewasserman
    eugenewasserman Posts: 1
    edited December 2006
    Anybody know how well a Luxman R-115 can handle a 6 ohm load? It doesn't have switchable impedance, and in the rear of the receiver it says to use in conjunction with 8~16 ohm speakers. I gather its kind of powerful. I get room filling sound at 9 o'clock on the volumte dial. I don't think I've ever turned it up above 12 o'clock. Think I'll be safe?
    appreciate it...
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2006
    That shouldn't be any problem at all.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    Nice to make someone happy. Seems like I'm going to get beat up someplace else on this Forum though, although I am hard pressed to see why. Somebody's imagination running away with them again. Oh well, "You can't make EVERYBODY happy".

Take heart GG, when we (Antny, Billy, & me) were at pearsall001's house Friday night we had nothing but good fun things to say about you. . . by the way when are you going to come and join us. I promise we will not be meeting in Philly. LOL:D

PS: My favorite GG saying; "Hey Sniffles." LOL that one cracked me up!!!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    Of course he said that 5 1/2 years ago. Still feel that way today George?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    shack wrote:

I wasn't around 5 1/2 years ago . . . I was referring to this thread inwhich George had me rolling on the floor, laughing my ever lovin butt off with his replies to the A-hole who posted the thread.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=526404&postcount=58:D:D:D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    Oooh, I think I remember that. That was funny!!! :P
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    We should start a new thread call: FUNNIEST GEORGE GRANDISMS We could all post the funniest things we think George has said.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    shack wrote:

You beat me to it Shack-master...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    Classic George! Even when he is deservedly chopping someone into little pieces he is funny as hell about it!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited December 2006
    I sold Luxman right around that time and the larger R-115 & R-117 were very popular units. Luxman had quite a rep back then as being at the top of mid-fi pack. Nak and Luxman made outstanding receivers in the day so I'm not suprised. It's one of those little audio gems either forgotten or never known.

My next computer/office rig might be that generation Luxman rec or integrated. I have always also been intrigued by the LV-105 and LV-107 integrated with the tube front end. They are pricey to fix these days so I've stayed away from them, but always thought they looked cool and had a good idea going there.

Rock on

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2006
    I have a Luxman R-113, that I got from Russ... possibly the same one he praised all those years ago!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    Dammit.......:mad: . I hate when I reply to an old thread. My thoughts are the same, but dammit...........who keeps bringing back these old threads.

Ok....I'm done. Luxman makes a nice piece.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nadams
    edited December 2006
    heiney9 wrote:
    but dammit...........who keeps bringing back these old threads.

Mostly new folks, who I'm sure are getting here via Google searches and the like.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    heiney9 wrote:
    Dammit.......:mad: . I hate when I reply to an old thread. My thoughts are the same, but dammit...........who keeps bringing back these old threads.

Ok....I'm done. Luxman makes a nice piece.

Look at post #4...

Yes they do. I've got a tubed CDP that does a REAL nice job...
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007
    Nadams was kind enough to Karma this item to me for no cost whatsoever. Keeping the piece in the family so to speak. Eventually I'll move it along the same way.

See thread

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49457
  • nadams
    edited February 2007
    did it arrive, then?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007
    nadams wrote:
    did it arrive, then?

Yep, you have a PM
  • nadams
    edited February 2007
    Glad to hear it made it safe and sound... enjoy!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Sweet! Great karma, nadams!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520