speaker systems under 1500$

Options
Rehpotsirhc
Rehpotsirhc Posts: 8
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I have 1 medium sized room with a tv in it. I want to hear bullets whizzing behind me when I play the dvd and I want it to sound like the explosions happened right in my room. This same setup will also function as a music center. I listen to hip hop and rock mostly and I will need to push as much bass as possible because I like to turn it up. My speaker setup as it stands does everything I need except when I turn up the hip hop volume the bass gets distorted.

here's my question. . .or questions. . .

Is it possible to get what I want by spending LESS than 1500$ on a speaker setup? (1500 on just speakers, nothing else)

If it is possible could someone give me a setup recommendation for under 1500$?
Post edited by Rehpotsirhc on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    if your speakers do the job...why replace them. Spend the money on a new subwoofer.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    RTI line for HT or lsi's for stereo 2 channel.. although you mentioned a sub woofer so i assume Ht...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    My recommedation?

1. Turn that **** down. Your neighbors will thank you.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Rehpotsirhc
    I want to hear bullets whizzing behind me and I want it to sound like the explosions happened right in my room.

Join the Army, you'll get your wish.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Damn. BDT blindsides the unsuspecting newbie with a vicious full body slam to the mat. The match was over in a instant.

Welcome to the Polk forum Rehpotsirhc.

joe
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    i seccond the sub get a good sub and go from there. then try and upgrade the front stage. i would try and get the rti70 front main csi40 center and a set of rti 38 for rears and a good sub with the 1000 you have left after the speakers.

or instead of spending it all on a sub get a good used one and get a new recever for 500-700 depends on how much you spend onyour used sub.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    That did come off a bit harsh, eh?

Well, if you are looking for good bass, keep the speaks you got and maybe look at an SVS sub, Paradigm Servo15 or some such.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Rehpotsirhc
    edited January 2003
    Options
    the military won't let me join so i hafta stick to stereo bullets and dvd explosions. . .don't have any neighbors close enough to hear my system even if I was spending 15000$ instead of 1500$. sounds like u guys think i should up my sub from my psw350. . .would the 650 do it?
  • goingganzo
    edited January 2003
    Options
    maybe but if you want to go real low you will need some more power. for about 1k you can have dual 15 with 1kwat of power and get 124db at 16hz but you have to buld the sub your self.
    or you can add a seccond sub to your curent one and save some cash. i would recomend if you add a seccond sub get at least a 12in sub.
  • Rehpotsirhc
    edited January 2003
    Options
    if i add a sub where would i plug it in? would that reduce the distortion im getting from the sub i have now?
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I also like to listen to a lot of rap and hip hop. I also agree with just upgrading to a better subwoofer. If your current system is working fine, keep it and get a decent sub. A good sub will re-invent rap and hip hop. And since it sounds like you have the dough, get a good one. My Sony WM40 is starting to give me fits. I think it may be done with its days.
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I would agree to get another sub, I just added a PSW404 and it solved my bass problem, I have it teamed with Rt1000i's that have small built in subs.. When I tried my Boston PV600 it did not have the bass output (in this room) as the PSW404 did.
  • Rehpotsirhc
    edited January 2003
    Options
    ok, i need a better sub. . .can i get away with just buying a 2nd one? and again where would i plug a 2nd one into? and would that kill the distortion i'm getting with the first 1?
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    if your getting distortion either one the sub is crap or 2 you have the gain to high or adjusted wrong, either way i would sell that one off if it does work correctly and get a nicer larger sub, The don't really believe in the whole running dual subs unless your talking matched SVS's maybe, or atleast identical subs i would think, Just get one BIG sub for the job you need it to do, If that sub distorts its not what you need apparently
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Twin 350s will slightly outgun a single 650 above 35 Hz. Below that the 650 will have the advantage.

If you want a second 350, buy a Y splitter (single male to two female) and run it off the LFE pre-out and then run a cable to each sub.

Stack the subs and then turn them both down equally until you get the same volume you had before with just one sub. The result will be less distortion and about 6 dB more headroom to play louder than with just one sub.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Rehpotsirhc
    edited January 2003
    Options
    ok, so based on what I listen to, do i try and sell the 350 and get a 650 or just buy another 350? I would guess that with heavy rap and hiphop frequency below 35Hz is more important right?
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm not an expert in that type of music. It is certainly possible they could synth in some very deep bass - I just don't know.

Which should you buy? Neither in my opinion, based on what I've read in your thread. If you want major, belt it out, blur your vision, bass on a budget, go DIY.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • goingganzo
    edited January 2003
    Options
    i like my share of rap and i have never like the sound of it in my ht. it sounds great in my car and in my bedroom when i usto have a stero setup with some sppkers and 12 in the mains. i was in a smaller room and added some car subs to the setup i had them lieing around. when i finish my new diy dual av15 sub powered with 1000 wats i will let you know.

i am figureing around 119 at 16 hz with no room gain. that is moddled in win isd beta. i quoted 124 befor that was in a beta verson of beta and was not right. the programer has sence fixed the problem. and boy my subs look sweet in thery.