6/7 channel music and movies.

Options
scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited January 2003 in Speakers
Many people are now seeing the benifits of 6/7 channel. A very popular top 5 question lately. "Like dude what can I use as a rear center"? Many new recievers are coming 6 channel equiped. As it all seemed to be the taboo thing to do a couple years ago. When i built my dedicated HT awhile back I specificaly chose 6.1 sound. As movies and music become more aggressive with surround speakers I can not imagine not have that "punch" of sound in the rear of my HT. That glass- shattering -thundering THX trailer really stands out the best. There is no way you could get the "full" feel of that trailer with out 6 channel sound. My Onkyo has a 6ch. stereo DSP and for music/sporting events I really enjoy it. I would like hear more people speak up about the change in sound from 5 channel to 6/7 channel HomeTheaters.
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Options
    After I bought my Onk and plugged in my (now former) Infinity CC2 rear center channel speaker, I found a world of difference in sound/directionality, and now I couldn't live without it. I like the idea of a plane (and other objects) actually seeming like it is going OVER your head to the rear center (and also to the L/R surrounds), instead of simply being split between the surrounds with sound going behind you but from the sides only.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by kberg
    now I couldn't live without it. I like the idea of a plane (and other objects) actually seeming like it is going OVER your head to the rear center (and also to the L/R surrounds), instead of simply being split between the surrounds with sound going behind you but from the sides only.
    Kberg, I hear ya - that's what i'm talking about. oooohhh ya!!
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have one thing to say, I was watching a dvd, ah can't think of the name, where the mother kept her kids inside all the time, the house was haunted and she didn't know.. damm
    anyways when she was in the room and "first" heard the voices of people not really there, I almost dove off the couch when i thought the ghost was behind my head... Now thats what i am talking about.. bitching all up in front of the wife and jumping a mile when i heard the voice behind me,, geez thats when i said this is great!!!

The guys all said get a SPL meter get it, tune it up.. i did and now my wife still says it sounds so much better.. I can actually hear the surrounds now..

Check my early post where i was complaining about not being able to hear my surrounds and wanting a extra amp to make them louder.. always had everything at 12+ db on all the speakers, until i bought the rat shack spl and BOOM damm there are the surrounds now, and now with that extra rear center channel, all i can say is wow wow.... I am also sticking with my RTI's for awhile.. had thought LSI's but we discussed this and i like the RTI;s and lsi's yields so much more cost overall its just not worth the leap rigth now.. after all these speakers are all of months old really not even broke in yet////

Now i want a 2 channel amp and gonna do the 7.1 later.. i have a small room but screw it, thats next... .

also i want to get a Onkyo M282 or a HK pa2000 these about the same amps?? the HK's are much easier and cheaper to find and after all its just for the 6 & 7 channels for rear backs..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • marvelous
    marvelous Posts: 38
    edited January 2003
    Options
    There is nothing more I can add to what you guys have said. I have a 7.1 setup and it is awesome. My kids have said on many occasions that they like staying home and watching dvd movies better than going to the movies. When they are setup correctly it is as if you become part of the movie, sound and action is all around!(wow)
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited January 2003
    Options
    What Marvelous said...once you go 7.1 you will never go back.
    Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    I have one thing to say, I was watching a dvd, ah can't think of the name, where the mother kept her kids inside all the time, the house was haunted and she didn't know.. damm
    anyways when she was in the room and "first" heard the voices of people not really there, I almost dove off the couch when i thought the ghost was behind my head...

You must be talking about The Others.

All this talk about 6.1 makes me want to add a rear channel speaker.

Maybe all the better reason to upgrade to the CSi30. I can put the CSi20 as my rear channel... or should the rear channel be matched with my rear surrounds? (The CSi20 is up to 18khz, my R20 rear surrounds is up to 20 khz.)
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by geekmedic
    should the rear channel be matched with my rear surrounds? (The CSi20 is up to 18khz, my R20 rear surrounds is up to 20 khz.)

The ideal situation is to have the exact SAME speakers all around, but you can't put a tower speaker on top of a TV! So, instead, one should try to get the same speaker manufacturer/model-series type of all speakers along with the same driver size/frequency response in each speaker.

So, I have a perfectly "matched" front soundstage with the RTi70's and CSi40. However, my rear surrounds and rear center do not have the same drivers as the front soundstage, but they do have the same drivers as each other. I did this purposely, as I wanted to have a perfectly matched REAR soundstage that would still nicely compliment the front soundstage.

Kevin
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    You must be talking about The Others.
    All this talk about 6.1 makes me want to add a rear channel speaker.
    The Others ya good call. I knew it. Actualy I own it and need to watch it again soon. Geek - "u can do it" !!!!
    My kids have said on many occasions that they like staying home and watching dvd movies better than going to the movies. When they are setup correctly it is as if you become part of the movie, sound and action is all around!(wow)
    Could not have said it better. Sweet!!!!!!
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    (rubbing palms together)

6.1+ here I come!!!! Scott - I considered your advice and then threw caution to the wind - I'm buying those big beautiful 1000's for side surrounds and the dual 245's will be my rear sound stage. I'll be wired for 7.1 with a 6.1 signal. I'm really digging this upgrade!

I figured - **** - I'm an engineer - I'll figure out how to mount those bad boys - no problemo. I've got the room. Pics to follow as the project progresses. Wiring has been all mapped but will be the slow part.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dr. Spec now you are really making me jealous. Can't what to see and hear it all come together. U da man!!!!!!!!!;)
  • kberg
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    (rubbing palms together)

I think Dr. Spec needs to invite us all over for a demo after everything is completed. :)
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I think I have found my one true vice. I just started coming to these forums, and I can now clearly see myself, dressed like crap, eating Top Ramen for life, never shaving, having no friends, nothing, except a kick-**** sound system. This may prove to be my ultimate demise.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Oh yeah - I'll look like the Memorex guy in those old ads from the 80's. Now I'm dating myself!

C'mon over, the water's fine! Upstate New York - it hasn't broke out of the single digits for 21 consecutive days. It was -6 the other morning.

Hunting, my 4x4, good booze, HT movies, a warm fireplace, and an even warmer woman is the only thing that gets me through these winters.

No really - Scott - you da man with that killer front center rig and projection screen TV - very cool. How did that knife acquisition go?
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hey Scott,
    I switched out my RT55i back surrounds with one CS400i again and have finally decided I prefer the single center channel speaker in back. Although I adjusted the RT55i speakers with an SPL meter, they always sounded like too much coming from behind me. The single center channel seems to blend much better with the rest of the speakers. I turn the back channel on for all DVDs and split my CD listening about 50/50 between 6 channel and 2 channel depending on what I'm listening to.

Speaking of the movie theater vs. home theater experience, I was persuaded to go to see LOTR: The Two Towers last weekend. It was crowded of course, and I ended up sitting next to some guy who was too large for one seat. The projector had a green streak down the middle of the screen for the first half of the movie. And, $3.50 for a soda? I'd rather stick with the home theater from now on. The picture's better, the sound's better, the atmosphere is better, and I can drink whatever I want and take a **** break too.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Emlyn
    Hey Scott,
    I switched out my RT55i back surrounds with one CS400i again and have finally decided I prefer the single center channel speaker in back. Although I adjusted the RT55i speakers with an SPL meter, they always sounded like too much coming from behind me. The single center channel seems to blend much better with the rest of the speakers. I turn the back channel on for all DVDs and split my CD listening about 50/50 between 6 channel and 2 channel depending on what I'm listening to.
    Speaking of the movie theater vs. home theater experience, I was persuaded to go to see LOTR: The Two Towers last weekend. It was crowded of course, and I ended up sitting next to some guy who was too large for one seat. The projector had a green streak down the middle of the screen for the first half of the movie. And, $3.50 for a soda? I'd rather stick with the home theater from now on. The picture's better, the sound's better, the atmosphere is better, and I can drink whatever I want and take a **** break too.
    Emlyn, sounds good. I recently heard this guy make a comment that most movie surrounds were over powering his front stage. What is funny about this is that the guy is most likely he has a pair of direct speakers about 8 inches from his head. Ya, that'll do it. Glad to see you took my advice. I did not catch what you were running on the sides. Even putting sound and vision aside - the freaking horror stories about the average evening at the movies is very scary. All I can do smile and say "not a problem here". It tends to confuse them until the see the hometheater. I could purchase a couple DVD's for the price of the average family spends on popcorn, candy and soda. Amazing. So sit back and enjoy - sounds like your system is really coming together. Welcome to the addiction.
    No really - Scott - you da man with that killer front center rig and projection screen TV - very cool. How did that
    The knife collection slowed down because I ran out of money and pretty much have what I want for now. The 2003 Hibben/Rae knife just came out and I will purchase it as soon as my tax money hits. I would post a pic but I am at work right now. I purchased two copys of the Hibben 2002 edition and am selling one on Ebay right now.
  • aaburto99
    aaburto99 Posts: 17
    edited January 2003
    Options
    With all this talk about 7.1, I have yet to see a DVD encoded in 7 full-range channels. The most I've seen is 6.1 and that's not even as common, although it does look like the newest DVDs are supporting DD-EX and DTS-ES now (6.1).
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by aaburto99
    With all this talk about 7.1, I have yet to see a DVD encoded in 7 full-range channels. The most I've seen is 6.1 and that's not even as common, although it does look like the newest DVDs are supporting DD-EX and DTS-ES now (6.1).
    Aaburto - you seem to have paid attention to the 6 channel DVD industry BUT you must have missed the part of 7 channel. There is no discret 7 channel formats available. So at the moment you are confused ........ right .......... don't be the 7 ch is putting the same sound out as the 6th. 7.1 is good if you have a wide room and instead of having one rear center you can have two seperating the sound a bit. Is 6/7 channel sound worth it.
    Yep, every penny. Because most 6 ch recievers delievers a signal to the 6/7 channel even on 5 ch movies. Sharing the signal from the "other" side surrounds.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I bought my Elite receiver before my house was built because of it's 7.1 option. I've been using it for a little over a year and would never even consider another (lesser) format. As for the lack of 6.1/7.1 titles, my receiver does a great job with the various DSP modes when using 5.1 sources.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D