Momo amp settings

biggs
biggs Posts: 16
edited January 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
MacLeod wrote: »
Anytime Robert! Im at your service.

The Momo amps have some very nice tuning features, as well as anything you can find. Itll take some trial and error but where there is a will and two stubborn individuals like ourselves it can be done! :D
So, I'm not Robert, but maybe you could be at my service too MacLeod.

So I have a c300.2 for my SR6500's, and a c500.1 for my MTX Thunder 7510-44 10".
Everythings ready to go in the car, cables drawn and all. But my amps have all these knobs and bells and whistles I don't know what to do with. Mids are in stock door locations, tweeters in the dash, and the sub in a ported box tuned to who knows what (used manufacturers box specs).
I've gathered as much from your musings about the SR's as to have the tweeters out of phase with the woofers and attentuated at -3dB.
So, crossover set to HP on the c300.2, and LP on the c500.1 I get. Guess what I'm asking is what frequency I should set them to. And what's with the High and Low switch by the gain knob?

A lengthy post to conclude in two, if not stupid then at least less intelligent, questions. Night shift seems to generate long forumposts.

-Edit-
My HU is a Pioneer AVIC HD3. Manual states output level/impedance at 2.0V/1kOhm. HU also has HPF and Subwoofer filter, as follows:
HPF
Frequency 50/80/125 Hz
Slope -12dB/oct
Subwoofer
Frequency 50/80/125 Hz
Slope -18dB/oct
Gain +-12dB
Phase Normal/Reverse

This is greek to me.
Post edited by biggs on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2008
    With a 2 channel amp youre not going to have as much flexibility in tuning as you would a 4 channel bi-amping. Still, Id set the high pass on the mids to 63 Hz and the low pass on the sub to 80 Hz and see how that sounds.

HPF
    High pass filter. This does just what it says. It allows frequencies higher than what you set to pass.

Frequency 50/80/125 Hz
    These are the frequencies at which you can set the HPF

Slope -12dB/oct
    The slope at which the crossover attenuates the frequencies. This would mean that the crossover cuts down the volume 12 db every octave below the cut off frequency. So if you set it at 5000 Hz, then 2500 would be -12, 1200 Hz would be -24 and so on.

Subwoofer
    Frequency 50/80/125 Hz

This is the low pass filter. Opposite of HPF for your subs.

Slope -18dB/oct
    Same as above.

Gain +-12dB
    This is basically a subwoofer level controler. If youre listening to rap, youll want to turn the sub down some. If youre listening to music without much bass, youll want to turn the sub up some.

Phase Normal/Reverse
    Sets the phase of the subwoofer. Depending on where youve mounted it and where its facing, it may be firing out of phase and cancelling itself out with the mids. Try it 180 degress out of phase and see if your bass improves.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • biggs
    edited December 2008
    Okay, so the slope settings rolls the volume down on the mids where it intersects with the sub and vice versa? Should I leave the HPF and LPF on the source switched off and let the amps do the filtering?

-Edit-
    I think I might have confused myself... With these settings, won't the bass be boomy between 80Hz and 63Hz, seeing as both the mids and the sub will play them?

I dare ask these questions since the internet is somewhat anonymous :D I'm pretty clueless here, obviously.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2008
    Personal preferece. I personally would use the tuning features of the head unit. Its easier to tweak on them if you dont have to get out of the car and all the way around to the amps.

As for boomy bass - not really. Having both the mids and the sub playing some of the same frequencies will help pull the bass up front more. It will also depend on the car, the setup, your listening preferences and everything else. Start at those points and tune to your liking from there.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited December 2008
    Hey Mac I have an Alpine PDX-1.1000 and a PDX-4.100 for mine. I feel me and u have similar musical tastes. Can you tell me what you'd put ur EQ settings on the amps and ur settings on my deck (CDA-9831)? I'm still getting what I think is bottoming out on the mid with the tweeter still playin great.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2008
    I PM'd ya.

• biggs
    edited January 2009
    Revisiting this one to say thanks for the help.

And of course some more questions ;p

I tried using just the x-over in the HU. 80Hz for both HP and LP. 12dB HP and 18dB LP (only option on my HU).
    Then I set out to try with the amps x-overs. Switched off HP on the HU, and set the LP to 125Hz (couldn't turn it off). Then I eyeballed the frequencies on the amps to 63Hz for the fronts and 80Hz for the sub. Could be 67Hz and 75Hz, I have no way of telling, just had to guess-set it. Sounded better using the amps, got more bass up front, obviously. Now the question; The amps have 12dB and 24dB slopes. My listening ear is untrained to say the least, so which would be better? Read somewhere that steeper slopes are better for mid/bass blending, but I can't tell.

Furthermore, the gain settings. Currently got the gains on the c300.2 set at 11 o'clock. I have to set the HU's volume at close to 2/3 to get something close to high volume up front. My HU outputs 2v, seems like 4v is the norm on many other players. So the question is, could I go higher on the input gain on the amp? I'm kinda scared of blowing my SR's =) Haven't had a chance to "buddy up" to avoid having to run back an forth when tweaking yet.

I'm contemplating switching HU, seems Pioneer put more money in the "fancy" bit of the AVIC-HD3 than on the audio bit. As it retails $3600 here in Norway, that's a bit of a downer. Figure I can sell it as "good-as-new" and get a fairly good SQ deck I'd imagine?
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2009
    biggs wrote: »
    The amps have 12dB and 24dB slopes. My listening ear is untrained to say the least, so which would be better? Read somewhere that steeper slopes are better for mid/bass blending, but I can't tell.

No one is "better". It will depend on not only your listening preference but the drivers and their interactions with the cars interior. Youre just going to have to experiment.
    could I go higher on the input gain on the amp?

Leave the gains alone.

• cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited January 2009
    did u try 63hz on hu? i think u may want to try to use hu for highs, and use amp(24db) for sub, just an educated thought. u could try turning up volume on hu, i have mine maxed. a nicer reciever would b well appreciated by your other components
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • biggs
    edited January 2009
    HU only allows 50/80/125Hz, so that's not an option. I too would think my components deserve a better HU...but it's a very cool unit =) I guess I'll ponder for a while and check how much I can get for it... Why, oh why couldn't Pioneer have spent a bit more on the audioprocessing-bit of this unit.

If you have your HU set at max, won't it clip?
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited January 2009
    i'd try 80 hz on hu(hi and low).that should sound very nice imo.
    proly cause pioneer sux.
    depends on unit, not mine
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3