Pioneer RG 1 Dynamic Range Expander

Options
HBombToo
HBombToo Posts: 5,256
edited January 2003 in Electronics
Russ, Help a dummy out over here... What does this do? Is it a good piece if I were to get into vinal? I might buy it if I understand what it does...

Help me out befor the bid closes.

HBomb:confused:
***WAREMTAE***
Post edited by HBombToo on

Comments

• jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dynamic range is the difference in volume, measured in dB, between the loudest and softest passages in music. Recording studio engineers use to compress the dynamic range of music (literally squeeze it onto a record or tape) to fit the limitations of those media. Dynamic range expanders increase the dynamic range of any source.

I do not know the Pioneer unit or how it performs.

DBX 3BXIII

It divides the audio frequencies into three ranges (HF, MF, LF) and handles each seperately. The unit lets you choose how much expansion you desire, the transition level and the threshold at which the upward and downward expansion occures. In addition, the unit restores the impact (impact restoration) of a live performance that is lost during mixing. The range is 0 to 12 dB.

In short, this unit can make older sources (records, tapes) approach the realism of a live performance.

DBX 3BXIII

Subharmonic Synthesizer

I think there has been questions regarding this type of component.

The DBX 120X samples bass frequencies between 55 and 110Hz, synthesizes corresponding frequencies exacly one octive lower and mixes then back into the music.

DBX 120X
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Henry,

J summed it up pretty well in his first paragraph. The Pioneer model I'm offering handles all frequencies (not subdivided). I like this because it does not allow one to 'alter' the overall tone of the original recording. If you really want to do that, I'd suggest looking at a DBX model as mentioned above, or better yet, get a good EQ instead.

This Pioneer features dual lighted V/u meters, a Tape Monitor Loop, variable input level, bypass switch, and stepped db range expansion (+6,8,10,12,14db). I used it on a hifi VCR where the output voltage was not up to snuff, and with cassette decks on occasion.

Just say the word if interested, we can hammer out the details later.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.