Attn: Phuz....

Options
nellis8166
nellis8166 Posts: 292
Hey Phuz,
I was looking at your setup in the showcase and I noticed the rig you have to angle your center channel down. I have angled mine as much as I am comfortable with. Just worried it will fall down.
Could you explain what you did there, we have the same size TV.
Appreciate it,

Nat
RTi10
CSi5
RTi28
SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
-J. James
Post edited by nellis8166 on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hi Nat,

My center speaker is actually sitting on a shelf that I bought at bed bath and beyond. It's some sort of TV shelf for just that purpose, putting stuff on top of the TV. It is held in place by velcro and double sided tape.. and it's made of plastic.

My center speaker (LSiC) came with some little rubber feet. One for each corner. I think all Polk center speakers come with them. The rubber feet against the plastic 'shelf' is not too slippery. Finally I took a little box that one of my turntable cartriges came in (about 7x4x1.5 inches, covered in velvet - which protects my beloved LSiC finish) and stuck it underneath the back of my LSiC. Viola, angled center.

Notice that my TV sits pretty low already, so the angle is small. Probably only about 15-20 degrees so I have no slippage and no need to worry.

There is no possible way that any center speaker would go on my TV without the shelf. The shelf has a small lip as well which would keep the speaker from falling even if it did slip. It helps to keep things level and stable up there.
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks Phuz, I appreciate it...looks like another project to keep me busy tomorrow.

Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by phuz
    My center speaker is actually sitting on a shelf that I bought at bed bath and beyond.

phuz,

Thanks for the tip on getting that TV shelf at Bed Bath and Beyond. I just picked one up today for $10, and because my CSi40 on my TV/entertainment center is so high, I'll angle it downward per your (and others) suggestions. I'll have to angle it a bit more, and may use two rubber feet in the front as an extra "lip" to the shelf instead of underneath the speaker, while also placing two rubber feet under the speaker in the rear.

The specs on the shelf say 15 lb. capacity, but I honestly think it can handle the CSi40 or LSi centers, or I wouldn't be using it. For those interested in this stand, just make sure you mount the shelf level and angle the speaker on it - don't mount the shelf on an angle!

Thanks!
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Your last sentence is very good advice indeed, and I agree with you that these shelves can handle a CSi40 or LSiC with no problems especially when you consider the fact that the majority of the front weight is actually resting on the TV.

Glad it worked out for you, and glad I could help!
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Followup - I decided to use 4 small rubber feet just behind the lip of the stand and used a block of foam rubber under the rear center of the CSi40 to angle it without damaging the finish - works great.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    That's great kberg - maybe you can get a patend.;)