Muon speakers?

Kinetic
Kinetic Posts: 437
edited December 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
guys, i know this is car audio, but im really amazed with this home speakers that i saw on the internet

can anyone tell me something about them?

kef-muon.jpg
Z
/////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
/////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
/////Alpine PDX-4.150
/////Alpine PDX-1.1000
Polk Audio SR 6500
Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
/////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
/////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
/////Alpine PDX-4.150
/////Alpine PDX-1.1000
/////Alpine SPX 17PRO
/////Alpine SWX 1243D
KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
Post edited by Kinetic on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2008
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2008
    They cost alot of money?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited December 2008
    That dude is wearing all white and it looks like he has a wrist band like they have in the looney bins?

• Kinetic
    edited December 2008
    well :)

this are suppossed to be the best speakers, ever conceived, and where designed by a guy called Ross Lovegrove. wich i really dont know who he is.

the speakers are made on alluminum, wich i dont really know why, but seems to be an interesting material, but is it good for SQ?

also the speaker has activated carbon inside, to increase the bass, wich is also interesting, and im wondering how does it works, and if we can apply this to our cars...

the speakers have 2 subwoofers, 4 woofers, 1 mid, and 1 tweeter, and they are made by an UK company called KEF, wich Ive heard, is a good "home loud speakers" company..
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Jstas
    edited December 2008
    Ross Lovegrove? That dude? Didn't he come up with the design for the original Walkman and the iPod or something?

As far as the speakers, saying they are made from aluminum is deceiving. They are apparently machined from a billet of aluminum. So each tower is made by milling the enclosure out of a single block of aluminum. That is probably why they are so expensive. The activated carbon thing is KEF's Acoustic Compliance Enhancement technology. It uses the activated carbon to "absorb" air molecules and some how allows them to "affectively double the amount of available volume". How it works, I dunno. You can't really change volume without changing the physical size of the enclosure. Sounds like snake oil mumbo jumbo to me. But, I dunno. At over $140K a set, I ain't gonna hear them anytime soon to even care.

As far as Lovegrove goes, he's a **** and thinks he's more important than he is. I never saw pictures of him but the all white, sanitarium outfit is quite fitting. He's widely regarded as being an influential designer but also full of himself and self-important. Most people both inside and outside of the audio world have never heard of him and most inside the audio world that have heard of him don't really see him as such a great dude. Eh, to each his own though.

BTW, KEF is pretty good with a very good performance to price ratio. In most instances, they are a good value. Good performers for decent prices. Alot like Polk Audio. Definitely worth a look.

• Kinetic
    edited December 2008
    Ive found some videos on youtube

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=VTCqucJGFRk

and it seems like the price is 70,000 uk pounds wich according to me its like a 105,000 US DLS
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Jstas
    edited December 2008
    Engadget quoted $140K+ U.S. and that was April 2007. I can't imagine the dollar has gotten any better against the pound but whatever.