frustrated with SR6500

shawnberry45
shawnberry45 Posts: 19
edited January 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
guys hopefully you can help me out...

my sr6500's sound worse than my DB 6.5 coaixals...whats up? what am i missing...i bought into all the hype wiht these speakers...

im had 2 tweeters blow...i have quadtruple checked my crossovers...ive tried 3 different amps...

what is the secret to these speakers...im ready to rip them out and just do coaxals...

thanks for your help!
Post edited by shawnberry45 on

Comments

• Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited December 2008
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2008
    You are overlooking something. Take it to an audio shop and let a professional look over your installation.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Mike B.
    Mike B. Posts: 54
    edited December 2008
    Deck?
    Amps?
    Any EQ/line driver,...?
    locations, and x-over settings?
    Mike Bobelak
    Heartland Regional Manager
    Polk Audio
  • shawnberry45
    edited December 2008
    pioneer premier headunit
    jl 3oo.4 amp

i read that you should run them out of phase? does that mean negative goes to positive and vice versa on the crossover?

thanks!
  • shawnberry45
    edited December 2008
    i have them set at half gain with the crossover around 85
  • exalted512
    edited December 2008
    pioneer premier headunit
    jl 3oo.4 amp

i read that you should run them out of phase? does that mean negative goes to positive and vice versa on the crossover?

thanks!

Yes, but thats not going to be your problem.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2008
    I agree with Cody. If your blowing tweeters, something is definitely hooked up wrong. I mean there is no way under the sun that a set of SR's should sound as good as DB's much less worse than DB's.

Are you running them off 2 channels of the 300/4 or do you have them bi-amped?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • shawnberry45
    edited December 2008
    im running them off two channels of the 300/4..

everything has been triple checked everything is hooked up right...i did notice that the tweeter setting on the crossover is set to 1db is that right? or should i do -3db

thanks, shawn
  • exalted512
    edited December 2008
    When you say triple checked, was it by 3 shops?
    -Cody
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited December 2008
    maybe you're playing them too hard before properly breaking them in...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • dirthog
    dirthog Posts: 124
    edited December 2008
    Turn the tweeters down.

Are all connections before the amp the same since you installed the 6500's and the only thing you changed was running speaker wire to the crossover?
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
  • shawnberry45
    edited December 2008
    yes i had them professionally installed by tweeter about 6 months ago

ive had them looked at by another shop recently since tweeter is now out of the biz

i will turn the tweeters down and see if that makes a difference

the mid woofers are working perfect though...no issues at all....is it possible i have a bad crossover???

thanks for your help!!
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2008
    Definitely turn the tweeters down! These babies can hurt if theyre cranked up too high. Ive had mine down as much as -8 db before!!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited December 2008
    Now I see you guys saying turn the tweeters down, but even if the tweets were getting no attenuation from the crossover shouldn't the set still be able to handle 125rms per side?

I dont see 150 clean rms killing them, could it be he is overdriving the set with clipping and heating up the coils?

The mids may be fine now but dont you think better advice would be to turn the gains down on the amp?

In his setup he may not have great positioning for the tweets so he may have to run them without atenuation so by just setting them @ 3db down or whatever wouldn't that be worse, because now his mids may overpower the highs and still not have fixed the issue at hand :
    V
    V
    V

"Whats killing the tweets...."
  • shawnberry45
    edited December 2008
    well the mid woofer is about 12 inches from the woofer..so they are not that far apart...the amp is only pushin 80 watts per channel...so its not like im pushing them hard....the gains are only half way ...i guess i could turn them down..but seems silly that my back speakers are polk 6.5 db's and they handle the pwer just fine....

bad crossover? maybe just bad tweeters? defective? im so frustrated..im ready to pull the sr6500's out and put in coaxials
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited December 2008
    Pretty much every speaker I've ever played with gave me some warning signs when it was being pushed too hard...I've yet to blow a speaker. Are you listening to the signs?

Grab the manual (or download one from Polk) and make sure your crossovers are wired up to the speakers correctly and that all jumpers are configured correctly as well. Observe the tweeter protection bulbs in the crossovers- are they illuminating some of the time? All of the time?

Re-visit the gain settings on your amplifier- pick a method:

http://www.thesuicidaleggroll.com/gain.htm

If you haven't already done so, apply a high-pass crossover to your mids...the supplied passive crossover was only meant as a dividing network to send frequencies in the spectrum to the appropriate driver in the set- there are no provisions for cutting frequencies below those the driver was meant to reproduce. Start around 80 hz and move up or down from there until you can increase volume to the loudest level you listen at without protest or distortion from the drivers.
  • shawnberry45
    edited December 2008
    the bulbs do alluminate....once ina while...should i set the gain on the amp so they do not illuminate at all??? could that be the issue here? kinda weird to me though that 80 watts kills speakers that are rated up to 150rms...
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2008
    If your gain is set too high and youre pushing the volume too much you may very well be clipping your amplifier and when you do this, it sends out a clipped signal at more than double its power. So that JL makes over 90 watts per channel RMS so when you clip it its shooting out well over 200 watts. That will fry a little 60 watt tweeter every time.

And yes, its bad to make the light come on in the crossover. Turn your gains down and set the crossover to -3 db.

• tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited December 2008
    what head unit and what amp?

eg - alpine HUs put out 4v ... the alpine PDX amps need to be set on the lowest gain setting to be properly level matched
  • shawnberry45
    edited December 2008
    i ditched the pdx and alpine hu months ago...running jl amp and a pioneer premier hu.

Macloed- ill def try that...thank you for your help!!
  • thumpin07
    thumpin07 Posts: 217
    edited December 2008
    Mac really knows his stuff hes not a mecca SQ champ for nothing
    tyler birch

ht system
    denon avr-1907
    monitor 70 towers-polkaudio
    nakamichi bx -100 tape deck
    sony 5 disc cd/dvd player hdmi ready
    velodyne dps-12 subwoofer

Car audio

AMP: FUSION EN-AM8001 800 watts max 368 watts rms x 1 channel @ 2 ohms stable
    SUB: 12 INCH 1000W DVC VOLFENHAG 2 Ohm stable useable ohms 2-8ohms
  • shawnberry45
    edited January 2009
    well i put the crossover at -3 and now it never lights up! i think everything shoudl be good! thanks guys for all your help!