how do I stop rattling windows, doors, and small animals?

rs159
rs159 Posts: 1,027
I just moved my sub to another place in the room which is about a 500% improvement over where it was before, smoother, louder, more musical, and decreased presence of null spots. Problem is now the windows and doors rattle like crazy anytime I turn it up to a listenable volume. This is very annoying. :mad: Does anybody have some tips on how to keep things like windows from rattling without completely replacing them?
Post edited by rs159 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Foam truck cap tape - works wonders. Slip in the noisy cracks and seams and behind stuff on the walls.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Dont forget to go int he addict every once a year to renail the top of ur walls ;)
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited January 2003
    wow... thanks Doc, that works great. Only problem is everybody who heard the system before thought it was a big cool factor to have everything rattling and shaking and jumping of the shelves like crazy and now they are dissapointed that everything is so "dead" and "quiet". Foolish mortals. :)
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    I'm waiting for my goldfish to "surface" from U-571 depth charges. So far, they're doing fine. :)
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Foam truck cap tape

Where can it be found?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

Where can it be found?

any auto parts store - sticky on one side, peel off tape covering protects the adhesive - like weather stripping
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited February 2003
    Another foam product to try would be the stuff they sell to seal windows when you use a window A/C unit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk