R20 vs RT25i

mckennma
mckennma Posts: 4
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I just purchased a Harman / Kardon AVR325 7.1 receiver. I need new speakers for all 8 channels. I do not want to spend a huge amount of money on speakers. How do the R20 compare to the RT25i for all six Left and Right: Front, Surround, Rear Surround? I noticed the R20 are front bookshelf category and RT25i are surround category. Should I use the R20 for Front L,R and RT25i for the four surround? I will be buying the speakers at one pair per month.

Any comments, please e-mail me. mckennma@wideopenwest.com

Michael.
Post edited by mckennma on

Comments

• jerryez
    jerryez Posts: 17
    edited January 2003
    You can get rti28's on eBay for $199 plus shipping New! Might lose warranty, but very little goes wrong with speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3001652492&category=14991

So, go for 4 rti28s on eBay and save.
    jerry
  • mckennma
    edited January 2003
    I know of a few people who got burned on eBay. I rather pay for new and get a warrenty.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    again, e-bay is as good as the seller/buyer makes it truely.. thats why we have feedback ratings.. acoustic sound is a good company with a good track record .. And they offer coverage on what they sell, i'f it breaks they will replace it... I understand though about wanting new from the local store. So go to Circuit city and get the 28's at $279.00 + tax and be done with it.
    I have 3 of them and they sound great.

But to answer your question the 25i is a older model and the R20 i think is the new model with the new wood cabinets and new grills, I would get R20's all around or 28's for the fronts and 20's for the rest and a csi30 or csi20 for the center i'f you need to stay as cheap as possible. The 25i's are not made and sold anymore.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mckennma
    edited January 2003
    What does bi-wired mean?
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Hello can we get a bi-wire pop up in this Mo-Fo!!!! :rolleyes:
    I love ebay - it is very sad that some people think it is all a scam.
    I don't care more bidding for - well if I had any $ left.:D
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited January 2003
    I recently purchased some R-50 open box at CC. If you read the description in Polks forum, they call them ideal for starter level systems. There is good reason for that statement. While they were loud, and fairly clear, the tweeter is not well made. It is lightweight and has a cheap feel to it. Sound wise my old 10B's thouroughly dusted the R50's in the high end, the R-50's sounded almost tinny next to the 10B's. The bass was a tad on the muddy side, and the mids did not image very well. Again this is in comparison to the 10B's.
    I would highly recommend stepping up to the RTi level if possible. Ebay is an awesome resource, just stick with sellers with many positive feedbacks. I returned my R-50's and bought a set of LSI9's off an Ebay seller for maybe 50 bucks more than I paid for the R-50's. The LSI's are not a tower like the R-50's, but the sound difference is night and day.
    The R series is a decent speaker, but if you are looking for good Polk sound, they do not stack up in my opinion with most of polks other series.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • mckennma
    edited January 2003
    I decided to get the R20s for now. I can always upgrade them later and put them on my computer's receiver.