help with install

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited December 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alright, so my girlfriend's amp keeps becoming disconnected, and i am planning on mounting the amp to the seat to avoid any further complications. I've always done custom installs so i don't know what kind of screws to use for this.

she has a saturn ion 3 and there's thin sheet metal behind the fabric on the trunk side. routing wires won't be an issue, the only thing i forsee happening is the amp will fall off the seat when she goes to put it down to store crap. The amp in question is an Alpine MRP-M450. The screws are What's the best kind of screw to use for such an install?
(I'm trying to avoid making any kind of custom MDF panel to mount the amp to, i just want to screw it in and forget about it until it needs to come back out. She doesn't really care about that kind of aesthetic property like I do.)

thanks!
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• Noisy in NC
    Noisy in NC Posts: 6
    edited December 2008
    I use these things called nut rivets in thin sheet metal a lot. They install like a pop
    rivet but have machine screw threads on the inside. Then you can use regular
    screws instead of self tapping sheet metal screws. I got mine at harbor freight
    tools on sale for like 10 bucks. Also loctite (the blue kind ) works wonders. Just
    don't get carried away with it just a tiny drop will do.
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited December 2008
  • ilikesound
    edited December 2008
    Thank you!:p

Those self-tapping screws can go right into the sheet metal and hold a small amp up? It couldn't be more than 10 lbs. I'm just concerned it'll fall off while she goes over speed bumps or potholes.
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • jiaan13
    jiaan13 Posts: 18
    edited December 2008
    The self-tapping screws should work just fine.
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited December 2008
    self tapping screws do not work well. they always run loose. especially if metal is screwed on metal.

a quick fix if u cant get the rivets as stated above is to mount a piece of mdf first and then mount the amps onto that.

oh. one more thing.. long screws may poke a passenger when they sit. so watchout! :-)
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited December 2008
    The screws I linked to are not self tappers, I try not to use self tappers because the tip is too close to the size of the screw threads.

I would pre-drill and use the pan head screws, they work very well in metal even if you dont pre-drill but you will need a screw gun/drill to get them in.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2008
    do NOT use self-tapping screws. Really, any other screw will do besides self-tapping screws.

Like someone said, I would use some loc-tite. **** stuff to thin metal has a tendency of backing itself out over time. Natural car vibrations and vibrations from subwoofers and/or 6x9s on the rear deck will speed up the process...self-tapping screws are even worse.

The best thing to do would be to glue some MDF (1/2" or so) to the back of the metal (under the carpet), then screw over the carpet into that.

Also, make sure to install the amp with the seat down...thats when you will need the most slack. Also, when finding a place to mount the amp, have the seat in the normal position and crawl in the trunk with the amp. You dont want to mount the thing and having it be too low, too high, or too much to the side and hit something when the seat goes up.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ilikesound
    edited December 2008
    great, thanks guys. I'll be doing it as soon as i get over my flu like symptoms and it gets just a hair warmer out.
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited December 2008
    Reported again ^^^^

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • ilikesound
    edited December 2008
    what are you "reporting" me for?
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited December 2008
    I didn't.
    I actually reported a SPAM post (on of several in the same short period of time), and the mods deleted it/them, but they left no placeholder so it now 'looks' decieving.
    Next time perhaps I'll include more info and quote the original message.

-peace

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's