Really need help Fast

Options
eloplayspolo
eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
edited December 2008 in Speakers
Sorry to make another post but i need to know in the next few hours what to do. Im going to be setting this up in a very small room.... about 12x15.

I can grab polk monitor 50 tower speakers Brand new in box for 48.00 a piece. Are they worth it? should i get 4 of them and use them as rears? let me know please asap
2013 Toyota Prius
Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
(2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
Mosconi 6to8 v8
Post edited by eloplayspolo on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    edited December 2008
    Options
    also... would it be better to use just the 50s in front and maybe atriums or something simular in price... around 100 bucks for both speakers in back?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • eloplayspolo
    edited December 2008
    Options
    and how much better would the monitor 50s be against
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290066
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Hilbert
    Hilbert Posts: 316
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I know nothing of the Polk HT system you linked to.

However I had Monitor 50s 30s, & CS1 in an HT/music system for a while and thought it was good for electronic stuff (blues rock country), OK but not great for small combo jazz, not really adequate for classical. Highs, violins and whatnot, were a bit squeaky and there wasn't a lot of detail in the mids.

With sub it was fine for HT. And performance improved a lot with addition of separate amp (but I eventually bought new speakers anyway b/c jazz&class are my chief interests).

Two 50s (with decent amp/receiver) would have no trouble filling small room with sound, I think. 4 might be overkill---which might be good thing. :D

Hope this helps. It's my two cents; you may of course find you totally disagree. Good luck,
  • Hilbert
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Drank some coffee and reread original post.

To be clear, for HT in a small room the Monitor 50s are absolutely worth $48 each. It's a good deal. The only question is whether you want to pay more for something better.

I wasn't totally thrilled with the 30s; they got a little bright or shrill. But several people on the forum have praised Monitor 40s; you might try them for surrounds.

Or get 5 50s.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Either choice is a nice price and the application depends on your room. If you want rear speakers on your floor instead of your wall....c'mon...you'll have to figure that out on your own.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited December 2008
    Options
    A lot of people prefer rear HT speakers 2 feet above the listener for a more diffuse sound. Therefore you would want to get something that could be hung on a wall. However alot of people can't do that so they either use bookshelf/stands or floor standing speakers. I have seen some people put floor standing speakers on a 1 foot stool to get them higher.

You also have to take into account aesthetics. Four floor standing speakers may look overpowering in a room.

For the price buying monitor 50's for the rear isn't a bad idea. As others have said, it's overkill but will probably work fine.

Are the monitor 50's "worth it"? That is a personal question. For the price it's a very good deal. However realize that there are better speakers out there in the Polk line (TSi, RTi, and LSi). You will spend a lot more money for these lines. You will also get better sound. Whether or not is it "worth it" depends on what you are trying to achieve and how much you are willing to spend.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited December 2008
    Options
    i understand all that, dont get me wrong.... i am very aware of other sets of speakers, but its going in a very very small area. im gonna spend the extra cash on my tv.

u say get 5 of them...? y 5? and haha even i think 5 would look dumb.... do i lay it on its side?

as far as looks of a room.... nothing looks better to me than electronics

edit: im 20 and live with my parents... thsi is going on a bedroom.... do u think i care THAT much how it looks?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Sorry to make another post but i need to know in the next few hours what to do. Im going to be setting this up in a very small room.... about 12x15.

I can grab polk monitor 50 tower speakers Brand new in box for 48.00 a piece. Are they worth it? should i get 4 of them and use them as rears? let me know please asap

What are you trying to accomplish, budget system or system that sounds good?

Need to consider what center you get too as it needs to match mains.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited December 2008
    Options
    edit: im 20 and live with my parents... thsi is going on a bedroom.... do u think i care THAT much how it looks?

Speakers last years. Someday you will move out, maybe get married, and then your wife will complain that the looks of your speakers are overpowering the room and you need to move them to the basement. :(
  • eloplayspolo
    edited December 2008
    Options
    by the time i get married ill be able to buy much better speakers than that.... compliments of computer engineering.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • dpljr
    dpljr Posts: 32
    edited December 2008
    Options
    at $50 per speaker, go for the overkill!
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,237
    edited December 2008
    Options
    +1 Once you move onwards and upwards, you can always use them in the rec room, garage, whatever.

dpljr wrote: »
    at $50 per speaker, go for the overkill!
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • rayslifecycle
    rayslifecycle Posts: 511
    edited December 2008
    Options
    +2 - go for it - full range speakers are more realistic sounding then satellites for HT IMHO.
    also - big bonus on using them as zone 2 speakers in the future......
  • Hilbert
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Or cover the speakers with wallpaper in an attractive floral pattern.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,314
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Just some perspective from another angle.....

Lose the train of thought you have and make it simple. Get a nice pair of SDA's. Nice, clean, GREAT sound, minimal wires, music sounds out of this world and plenty of capability for electronics to power them in the future.

.........back to our regularly scheduled program..........
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~