bose acoustimass power rating

Options
ronaldo141
ronaldo141 Posts: 41
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I was just curious what the total power output is of the bose Acoustimass systems. They don't advertise it and I was getting curious about this. I think the amp is in the bass module, which doesn't have any really big drivers, so i don't understand how it could produce very deep bass.
Post edited by ronaldo141 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    ronaldo, we try to not use the "B" word unless it is a butt of a joke. I do not how you could miss that on this forum. There is a reason _ose does not use specs on their speakers. It would be an insult to the speaker industry. There specs are sooo bad that if anyone that purchased _ose know what the spec meant they would not purchase their products and perhaps die of laughter.
    I have owned _ose before and they are way overpriced for what you are getting.
  • ronaldo141
    edited January 2003
    Options
    haha, funny you should mention that scott. I just got off of a HUGE bose bashing column on the home theater forum site. I don't really care for them myselves anyway, but I was just curious. Someone once told me they have infinite power, which of course I didn't believe. Still, do you know how many watts per channel the accoustimass amp delivers?
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ya, the _ose bashing will soon start on this thread. You asked for it!!!!;)
    The question you ask.....well ya infinate sounds good to me.:lol:
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Yeah absolutely infinite. I once heard from a guy said he was absolutely amazed. Didn't matter how much power he pumped into em, they just kept on smokin.
    He didn't think you could get that much smoke packed into a piece of electronics.:confused:
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    let me put it this way.....that BASS MODULE is foam surround with uncoated paper cones, with a POS amp - who gives a crap about wats, it dont hit low - its junK! _OSE SUCKS! NO HIGHS! NO LOWS! MUST BE BLOSE!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • ronaldo141
    edited January 2003
    Options
    blose-oh man thats great mystiepolkman. I'll be sure to tell my friends that one. :) but on a more serious note, isn't it impossible to have infinite power? isn't there a way to measure how much power the acoustimass are putting out?
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    dey be putting out -50, that matches their quality....
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Paper cone and foam surround certainly don't make a speaker sound poor.

I know a lot of speakers with paper cones that you'd be lucky to have.

-Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Paper cone and foam surround certainly don't make a speaker sound poor.

I know a lot of speakers with paper cones that you'd be lucky to have.

-Russ

INFINITY pops into mind...but were talking about BOSE
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    While I agree with all you about today's _ose line, and can extend that view deep into their history, my condemnation cannot include the 901's. Although tricked up with the bass equalization module, properly set up the 901's were awesome.
    Spent many an hour with a bag of goodies and a bottle of wine, Boone's Farm as I recall, back in my college days enveloped in their sound.
    Am I alone here?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm sure it was the Boone's Farm and that bag of goodies affecting your judgement. :lol:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    No, you aren't. I don't care for the acousti-whatever systems, but some of the older 'x01' models weren't bad, just over priced - some grossly.

The thing is, a regular old cone tweet is pretty hard to **** up on (design wise). On the other side, I've heard a lot of soft/hard domes, horns, etc that SHOULD have been cones instead. The new series has moved to a cheap, plastic dome, no more cones.

Never owned any, probably never will. The 901 does appeal a bit, as I have some interest in diy FR driver / arrays.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The cubes are what most laugh about. Some the earlier book shelf (301's maybe) did sound OK.
    Ronaldo, the infinate thing is just a joke.
    The point is that no matter how much power you give them - they still sound like crap.
    Mx some of the best speakers in the world are made out of paper woofers. _ose just does it because there cheap.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    yes i know that paper cones are some of the best sounding ones...but im talking about bose. Not every other speaker
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Just came across some specs:

—Frequency response: 90Hz-12kHz ±7dB
    —Sensitivity: 81dB
    —Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
    —Recommended power: 50 to infinity Wpc
    —Maximum output level: 89dB

According to their White Paper, the amp used in their testing
    lab is a Sony 50 Wpc receiver. The lab's listening room is setup
    to replicate the two-car garage of the average 1,600 S.F.
    American home.
    For this reason, anything fed to them beyond 50 watts is
    shunted to a massive resistor, thereby protecting both
    the delicate fibers of its patented PaperCone® drivers, and
    the ear drums of the listener.

Way to go BOSE for looking out for us!

Give War A Chance
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Certainly not defending Bose, but c'mon Pens, 'came across these specs?'

Max output level 89db? C'mon.

Whats the source of these 'specs'?
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have to agree with ATC to a point, I've heard some Bose systems that I thought sounded great at first. After listening too them for a while (HT) I realized that I could not make out some voices very well... I used to have a pair of 301's I replaced them a couple of years ago when I put in system 1. I Thought they sounded good, until I heard my BA's...
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The speaker in my 32" Zenith sound better than my blos!

If you want blose... first go to Rat Shack first spend 50 bucks and do a comparison.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Bose goes after (and successfully so) the market of people who really don't want to put much thought into their audio systems. My boss commented just yesterday that he'd been in a nice audio shop in StL and walked into the Bose room... "wow.. did that sound nice" he said. And most likely it DID sound nice.. and does, to many many people. MOST people out there are NOT like the folks frequenting this forum.. they do NOT notice whether bass is a little lacking or muddy, they don't notice if the decay on the cymbal is clear, they don't notice nor think about whether bass extension is going to 50Hz or 25Hz... and lots of those people that don't care (and don't want the hassle of putting together a system) have plenty of money to spend. Why NOT buy a nice sounding speaker system in one box, one that is tiny and won't bother the wife and is easy to set up?

Bose may not be a serious speaker for many of us, but it is more than satisfactory for most folks out there, and Bose has done a bang up job at niche marketing.. ****.. a $300 clock radio?? That market exists and Bose knows it and they are right in there selling a lot of stuff. Look where they advertise.. Paul Harvey, Rush Limbaugh...

Cambridge Sound Works - while making better speakers, in my opinion - is after some of that same market.. they put out an expensive clock radio as well...

Bose isn't in it to compete with the likes of Polk and the other speakers that we here might consider ... and if you look close, if anything, it is OTHER companies introducing products to try to tap into some of that market that Bose has successfully claimed. What they do, they do well.
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The bose has a lot of mid bass Which i hear as a mass of distortion.and fairly clean crisp highs but lacKing any midrange and lacking lows..where i come from we have a saying::: ("ALL HIGHS ,NO LOWS,,MUST BE BOSE"..) the mid bass is quite up front and loud and before i was enlightened i to thought they were fabulous and i also didn't understand te concept of flat and natural..i never found a rating either.
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Options
    What really bugs me about _ose is their "Top Secret" attitude about not providing specifications on their products. Geez, I just want to know their rated performance, not who killed Jimmy Hoffa!
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688