Are My subs blown?

Options
coots57
coots57 Posts: 2
edited December 2008 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Earlier today me and a friend were seeing whose system was better i have two pioneer premier 10 inch subs and im temporarily am running a 222 watt sony explode amp. So i was listening to it and i turned the amp all the way up for more base. it played for a minute the the bae kicked in and it distorted really bad. then they wouldnt work and my amp light was not on. So when i got home i replaced every wire in the whole system. Now the subs work but when the base kicks in they distort and pop randomly. The base will work all the way up to volume 10 but after that they pop and fade in and out. So are my subs blown or is it the amp?
Post edited by coots57 on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    edited December 2008
    Options
    coots57 wrote: »
    So i was listening to it and i turned the amp all the way up for more base. it played for a minute the the bae kicked in and it distorted really bad.
    First off, NEVER do this.

You may have compromised both components due to your actions.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Power amps aren't really intended to be turned up all the way like that. The only reason it goes up that high is so that it has some headroom.

From the sounds of it, your speakers are probably blown. You'll be lucky if that's all you have to replace...your amplifier may be fried too.

At least you've learned a valuable lesson about electronic equipment. It will only treat you as well as you treat it.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited December 2008
    Options
    coots57 wrote: »
    Earlier today me and a friend were seeing whose system was better...

So who won? :confused:

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited December 2008
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    So who won? :confused:

He didnt say his buddy blew his **** so I say his buddy won and made him look like a dufus...:D
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited December 2008
    Options
    only126db wrote: »
    He didnt say his buddy blew his **** so I say his buddy won and made him look like a dufus...:D

hahahah
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8