SDA owners Placement Advice

Options
Zen Dragon
Zen Dragon Posts: 501
edited January 2003 in Speakers
Hey, got a question for the SDA owners out there who have experimented.
I eventually want to get a set of SDA's, and I know the placement recommendations are flat against the wall, facing straight out, 4-6 feet apart min, and 3-4 feet away from the end walls min.
Here is my question. I could meet these requirements in my Rec room, but in my living room I can not. I would rather use SDA's on my main Liv Room rig. I have a fireplace on the long wall, and the short wall has 3 large windows that I would have to block the sunlight to set the speakers andTV up on. I presently have my set up in the corner, which works decent with my present set-up.
Has anyone ever set up SDA's in a corner set up with the speakers at an angle to the wall. How much does it degrade the imaging?
Thanx for your answers in advance.
The Family
Polk SDA-1C's
Polk SDA-2
Polk Monitor 10B's
Polk LSI-9's
Polk Monitor 5's
Polk 5 jr's
Polk PSW-450 Sub
Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
This is pretty f***ed up right here.
Post edited by Zen Dragon on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Interesting question, it might work ok.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Won't an angle fubar the SDA's stereo image? Placement is key with this series, is it not?

I'm not saying it won't be listenable, but to do what they are intended to do, no 'toe' whatsoever. Right?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have often wondered if that would work but have not tried it. It should since the sda's are not using side walls to do anything.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Zen Dragon
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Won't an angle fubar the SDA's stereo image? Placement is key with this series, is it not?

I'm not saying it won't be listenable, but to do what they are intended to do, no 'toe' whatsoever. Right?

I think the reason for "no toes" is to prevent the sound fields from crossing each other. If they are placed facing out at the same angle this would not happen. What I am concerned with is if/how they use the walls behind and to the sides.
    I am sure as more people browse this post, someone must have been in a similiar situation and tried it. Hoping for good news. :)
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

• RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Not arguing, just discussing, but the flat placement, parallel to the wall, is part of what the SDA design is built on.

There are several 'timing' issues incorporated into the SDA that I think apply here.

1. Time required for sound from the main driver to reach the nearest ear.

2. Time required for sound from them dimensional driver to reach the nearest ear.

3. Time required for the main driver crosstalk to reach the opposite ear.

4. Time for the dimensional driver crosstalk to reach the opposite ear.

If you change the angle of incidence the SDA's are on, relative to the listener, the pre-determined 'interaural time delays' are no longer accurate, right?

Cheers,
    Russ

Just for **** and grins, I pushed my CRS in the corner, and tried a couple different angles. Still sound good, but the stereo image is GONE.

(if you don't have Polk's 1984 white paper 'SDA Designed in Stereo' by Matt Polk, ask for it, I'll glady make copies and mail them on)

Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I read his message that he would turn (angle) the speakers to where they would be facing the listener, the only problem would be the bass might not be as strong by not having the rear wall to help out.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Zen Dragon
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Just for **** and grins, I pushed my CRS in the corner, and tried a couple different angles. Still sound good, but the stereo image is GONE.

(if you don't have Polk's 1984 white paper 'SDA Designed in Stereo' by Matt Polk, ask for it, I'll glady make copies and mail them on)

Russ thanx for the offer, you've got mail.

Sorry to hear your SDA's lost the stereo image in a corner. That's the whole point of SDA :(
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

• RuSsMaN
    edited January 2003
    Options
    At an angle to the wall, but perpendicular to the listener, not toed.

Jesus Christ my comprehension of the intial post was WAY off base. I see what you are saying now, I thought you were placing them on a 45 IN the corners.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Zen Dragon
    edited January 2003
    Options
    LOL. Sorry for the confusion. Yes perpendicular is the vocabulary word I should have used. :)
    I wanted to use it but the word would not come to mind. I was thinking, I know there is a word to describe this, but damn if I could think of it. Perpendicular... 5 syllables....good 25 cent word for the day. :lol:
    So if you put your CRS's in a corner perpendicular to the listener, do you still lose the stereo imaging?
    Thanx for all the help.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

• hoosier21
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Now I'm confused
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

• abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If you mean that the speakers will be facing the same direction, not angled toward each other, the stereo effect will be fine.

I had my system set in a corner at one apartment I lived in. It might not be optimum, but it didn't seem to have a negative impact on imaging.

If, however, you place the speakers along the two adjacent walls so that they're facing 90 degrees to each other rather than parallel and facing the listener, you've just defeated the SDA technology. They'll sound good, but their imaging will be "ordinary".
  • Zen Dragon
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The Tv would be in the corner out from the wall. The 2 speakers would be slightly off to either side of the TV, facing the listener, not each other.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center