SDA II manual

Options
mikeo
mikeo Posts: 15
Hi there,

new here...

i have a pair of SDA II including everything but the manual.

My Preamp died and made a cracking noise over the speakers that killed 1 of the mw6510 on my right Speaker.
At least it doesnot make any sound any more.
Is it possible that there is a fuse behind the driver ?
(that would be terrific if only a fuse would be blown)

Since i have no manual for the Speakers i am a bit clueless on how to fix the problem - i wont open a speaker without the manual.

So - my question is - where can i find a manual for my SDA II?

i appreciate any feedback.

also - can someone tell me where to find out how old my speakers are ? i got them from a friend of mine when he left the country and that was about 7 years ago, he himself got them from another person.

thanks a lot

mikeo

..spoil yourself with clean sound..

..get the right stuff - no compromises
Post edited by mikeo on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited January 2003
    Options
    mikeo,

Welcome to the forum.

If you contact Polk customer service, they should be able to get you a manual and tell you which SDA's you have by the serial numbers. Click on Service and Parts at the top of this page and then click on Email Polk Customer Service. The driver in question seems to be blown, there isn't a fuse for it. It simple to remove, just unscrew the four screws that hold it in place and pull the two wires off the back of the driver. Be sure to mark which wire goes where. If you push in on the cone, does it move at all? Try swapping the driver in question with a good one and see what happens. It's possible that the crossover is damaged, but I think you've got a bad driver. Let us know what you find.

F1nut
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    F1,
    Check out the address on this guy…
    Appropriate greeting would appear to be, “Wilkommen” und/ oder “Guten Tag”

Mikeo,
    As would be expected F1 has set you on the right path.

While you are at it, ask Customer Service for a copy of their SDA troubleshooting manual. Just got mine and it's an easy to follow, step by step guide to identifying problems and setting up to get the most out of your SDA's.

For a little stroll through SDA history go to the thread below:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7139&highlight=hist%2A

In it raife and har, two of our leading SDA freaks, I mean devotees, and historians thoroughly cover the SDA family tree, complete with pictures, upgrade discussions and more.

Verstehen sie, mich? (Plese don’t go crazy on me with the Deutsch in your reply… been a long time between my zwei jahren of high-school German and now.)

Auf Wiedersehen…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Tour,

I noticed that, Danke. I'm afraid my German is very limited and my spelling of it, even more so. Nice link you posted for our overseas friend, I'm sure he'll like that.
    We should warn mikeo not to let Har anywhere near his SDA's, that hording **** cuz of mine. :lol:

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeo
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Right guys -- guten morgen ;-)

thanks for the faboulus infos so far.. i will get a manual from Customer Service at Polk - which i think is superb (baring in mind that my speakers are propably 20 years+ old)

i will do some pictures of them and the castle nearby to show you what you are facing here ;-)

have a fab one.. (guess you are still sleeping)

cheers
    mikeo

..anyone interrested in learning deutsch via the wire :-)
    sprechen Sie Deutsch ? .. dann wird es nochmal so gut ..

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ich schlafen nicht... although I should be. :o

Ich sprechen eine kleine Deutsch... Your English is clearly superior to my German.

If you wouldn't mind filling in my blanks, what is the translation of your closing line ("dann wird es nochmal so gut ")? Ich einge verstehen, aber nicht alles.

Wo ist Hessen?

Se habla Espanole? :)

On second thought, let's stick with English. How widely known are Polk speakers in Deutschlande? Are they well thought of?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mikeo
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Hi Tour2ma,

the last line means :

do you speak german ? ..then it will be even better..

no spanish on my end... ;-)

Polk speakers are known somewhat, i always kinda knew the name, - when my friend asked my to buy the set i felt delighted by the fact that the name polkaudio was ringing the bell of highend speaker manufaturer...
    Overhere people use a wide selection of speakers, i prefer (from the European end) the B&W Sets -.- they look nicely, they are phenomenous in sound (i had the ability to get a demo in a showroom with various series - Nautilus Selection 800 and the CDM series) crisp - clear sound ... can't say if they are better than the polks because in my living room i only listen to the polk set .. which is fantastic. In the first run i wanted to add as center and rear speaker B&W speakers, but with the advice of customer service i may use the Polk set to match the SDA-II ....

It is funny that you don't really see the Polk speaker sets overhere, not even mentioned in any highend magazines. I assume that Polk may not have the best PR system in Europe (that at least is from my point of view the only thought on this)

i love 'em ... ;-))

cheers
    mikeo

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Polk is a Mid-Fi speaker
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    Polk is a Mid-Fi speaker
    Sid,
    I prefer the term "Hi-Value". (Another Snow Day, huh? :) )

Mikeo,

Not surprising Polk's aren't in the high-end, esoteric mag's. They don't cost enough and use chains in the states like Circuit City as distributors. Both put a drag on their reputation, but where it matters, i.e., how they fill your ears, they stand up well to most of the alternatives out there. It's all in the ears...

You’ll find more than a few B&W lovers in the Club, and some owners as well. Lovely line of speakers there. As well, you’ll find planar and electrostat devotees, especially for their two-channel rigs. So while we are all Polk lovers, you'll find a great deal of objectivity and appreciation of other speaker lines here.

Just did a mapquest.com search on Hessen. Looks to be pretty much central, post unification Germany. Actually looks to be fairly close to the old East/ West border. My one visit to your beautiful country was about four years ago. I never got to your area as I Eur-railed out of Amsterdam to Koln, then down the Rhine. I did visit Rothenburg (loved the night watchman tour) before a stop Munchen and continuing to Austria (Salzberg and Vienna). Best memory… a picnic on the bank of the Rhine with my daughter at St. Goar… sausage, cheese, bread, a nice bottle of one of the local vintages, castles and the Rhine on a warm, clear summer’s day… ahhhhh... :)

I don’t see much anymore on the continuing unification effort. How is it progressing? I’m sure the global economic malaise is not helping (sorry about our Enron and other contributions).

Glad we settled on English… Even what I remember of Deutsche is tainted by the fact that my old high-school teacher learned her German while living in Switzerland (only one overnight stop there on my visit, Bern… too damn expensive…).

Auf Weidersehen…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sid,
    (Another Snow Day, huh? )
    :lol::lol: Never fails to annoy. What a trooper!!!!
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Scott,
    Who's doing the annoying here, me or Sid? :confused:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• mikeo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hey Tour2ma,
    ..if you are interrested to find out more about hessen and practice german .. check this out ..
    www.waldwichtel.org
    you'll be surprised... :-)
    unification is fine - just that we all seem to have no money left in this country... everything is down -- economy, lots of unemployeed etc.. not to good currently.. well, but - after a lot of good years we now have a few bad years - i am optimistic that we will recover in the short term..
    Since i am in dear favour of B&W speakers i really struggle and yes, Polks are hard to get overhere...

About your trip, you wouldnot believe how many american folks i know who did a similar trip, rothenburg, munich, heidelberg, the castles etc.. this seems to be 'the trip to do' .. well, admit that it is quite scenic.. and, of course the wine does some good as well..

cheers
    mikeo

• mikeo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    oh yes, forgot to mention, received my manual, cool, now i understand so much more about the system i have (and appreciate it even more..)

mikeo

• Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Mikeo,

Excellent on the manual… Polk’s are well written aren’t they?

And thank you for the site, I visited it and saved it to my favorites.

World’s all in the same boat as far as the economy goes. Hopefully inflation is as low there as it is here. It helps keep us all able to fund our audio passions in these down times. But sooner or later things will pick back up… they always do.

As for the American tourist trail… there’s a gentlemen named Rick Steve’s that has written many guide books (and made a great deal of money in the process) on the theme, “Europe Through the Back Door”.

He preaches, don’t go on group tours where you sit on a bus and watch Europe pass by your window. Don’t stay in the best hotels and dine in. And don’t just focus on the big name sites that have souvenir stands all around them. Instead, take the trains, rent a car, stay in B&B’s (Zimmers) or Hostel’s, picnic on the Rhine and get into the backcountry when you can. Get to know the people, the cultures, don’t just go to “see the sites.” I followed his advice and books for 2-1/2 weeks with meine tochter.

Had I not, I never would have gotten drunk (very, very drunk) on Stiegel Beer with my new friend Werner in Salzburg. Werner got great joy out of pointing out that the brewery was older than my country… Or on wine and beer on the night train from Vienna to Venice with a Corporal on leave from the German army. All great memories, or at least partial memories… :)

Good to hear from you again.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mikeo
    About your trip, you wouldnot believe how many american folks i know who did a similar trip, rothenburg, munich, heidelberg, the castles etc.. this seems to be 'the trip to do' .. well, admit that it is quite scenic.. and, of course the wine does some good as well..

I've done that trip (more or less), but I thought it was the beer that did some good.:D

President of Club Polk