Which one would you pick?

modmx
modmx Posts: 15
edited November 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys, I recently decided I am going to upgrade the system in my 97 pathfinder. I have decided on the speakers (Polk MM6501 components and MM651 coaxials) the subs (Kicker 07DCVR12) and the amps (JL Audio 450/4 and kicker z750.1). I also plan on dynamating the hell out of the car

now, where I am stuck on is the headunit. I have two in mind, either the Nakamichi cd400 or the alpine cda 9887. Ive heard amazing things bout the nak's sq but have heard that the alpine's tuning abilities are great too.

so, i expect the posters here know much more bout car audio than i do so any advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated
Post edited by modmx on

Comments

• only126db
    only126db Posts: 157
    edited November 2008
    With Nak they sound great on great speakers with a great setup, but there is nothing but bass, mid and treble, where as the Alpine gives you more options for adjustments to try to compensate for a not so perfect situation and still get good sound.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2008
    Without a doubt Id get the Alpine. Both the Nak and the Alpine are going to be excellent head units and there wont be a SQ difference between them other than the tuning and its in that department where the Alpine kicks ****. The best time alignment feature this side of the H701, an excellent variable crossover and while a 5 band parametric EQ isnt the most comprehensive, it is enough when combined with the crossover and TA, to get things sounding very good.

I used the 9887's older brother, the 9855, back in 2006 when I competed for the first time. I had no outside processor either. Just the 9855 and all its features which are the same as the 9877 and it performed great for me.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D